Vulture Mine is Hiring

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The famous Vulture Gold Mine is hiring shift workers for 12 hour weekend shifts.

This mine has been worked since Henry Wickenburg began mining there in 1863.
The Vulture is one of the most historically productive gold mines in the southwest.
The Vulture was one of the few gold mines allowed to keep mining during WWII.
This is the same mine Jacob Walz (the Lost Dutchman) higraded his ore from. :headbang:

If you are qualified and willing to face the 108 degree temperatures we've been experiencing lately this might be your chance to make a few bucks mining a bit of history.

Heavy Pans

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting history. The work there would likely kill me the first day. Need younger, tougher people than me. I wonder if they still hang a person for high grading. Seems a bit harsh, but hey.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The famous Vulture Gold Mine is hiring shift workers for 12 hour weekend shifts.

This mine has been worked since Henry Wickenburg began mining there in 1863.
The Vulture is one of the most historically productive gold mines in the southwest.
The Vulture was one of the few gold mines allowed to keep mining during WWII.
This is the same mine Jacob Walz (the Lost Dutchman) higraded his ore from. :headbang:

If you are qualified and willing to face the 108 degree temperatures we've been experiencing lately this might be your chance to make a few bucks mining a bit of history.

Heavy Pans

You really should do a little research before posting.

The mine has not been continually mined since 1863. It was ordered closed in 1942 by the war production board and reopened on appeal. A few years later it closed for an extended period. The mine reopened in a different location. There never was and never will be any proof that the lost Dutchman ore came from the vulture mine.

History ? Vulture Mine

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other

The mine has not been continually mined since 1863. It was ordered closed in 1942 by the war production board and reopened on appeal. A few years later it closed for an extended period. The mine reopened in a different location. There never was and never will be any proof that the lost Dutchman ore came from the vulture mine.

History ? Vulture Mine

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
There are some very good articles at the website. Read a few and you will notice contradictions.

MEDIA + EVENTS ? Vulture Mine

Terry I don't drink coffee it makes me grumpy!

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

History ? Vulture Mine

Mind if I poke my beak in here? Clay did not say the mine had been continuously operating. Just that it had been worked since it's discovery. So, off and on. Not unusual for minerals, sometimes it's not economical to mine, so shuts down until it's worth the effort again. So #1...no foul. #2 The mine did operate during the war, just closed until they could get the paper work straight with the Feds, and re-opened...no foul. The mine opened in different location? Was it on the same lode or extension of the same geology? If so, just because you dig another hole, doesn't mean you have moved. So...no foul on #3. The Lost Dutchman Mine legend is nothing but VAPOR, so no points on a matter of faith.

That counters all of your objections, my friend...So what's the beef? He told a pretty straight forward story, I thought. And the point was about jobs there. Thinking about it?

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray, nice work. I started “diggin” a bit, but my second Martini arrived and I lost focus.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did the mine re-open or are they hiring for the museum (assuming you are talking about the Vulture mine in Wickenburg)? TTC

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
They are trying to make the vulture mine and the ghost town a tourist attraction. The company that purchased the mine that is located on a seperate property may make a pit mine out of it. The tourist attraction is only open a few hours a day so I doubt the 12 hour weekend shifts are at the closed vulture mine. You can read some more interesting facts at MEDIA + EVENTS ? Vulture Mine

The actual vulture mine closed permanently in 1942
http://www.vultureminetours.com/s/NEVER_QUITE_LOST1.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did the mine re-open or are they hiring for the museum (assuming you are talking about the Vulture mine in Wickenburg)? TTC

Yep that's the same Vulture mine. The mine has been open a few years Terry. They are just expanding their operations.

The tourist thing is not part of the actual mining operation. If you do go out next fall for the Vulture tour watch out on Vulture Mine Road for the mining trucks, it gets busy out there sometimes. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That counters all of your objections, my friend...So what's the beef? He told a pretty straight forward story, I thought. And the point was about jobs there. Thinking about it?

I read Clay’s post the same way as you.

No harm. No foul. It was a cool post.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep that's the same Vulture mine. The mine has been open a few years Terry. They are just expanding their operations.

The tourist thing is not part of the actual mining operation. If you do go out next fall for the Vulture tour watch out on Vulture Mine Road for the mining trucks, it gets busy out there sometimes. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans
Tnx Barry!

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180616-181443.jpg
    Screenshot_20180616-181443.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 82

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
You can search for active mines at: https://mrdata.usgs.gov/mineplant/

The text results of Active mines will be blue and link to additional info. Inactive mines will be black and wont link to anything.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180616-183355.jpg
    Screenshot_20180616-183355.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are trying to make the vulture mine and the ghost town a tourist attraction. The company that purchased the mine that is located on a seperate property may make a pit mine out of it. The tourist attraction is only open a few hours a day so I doubt the 12 hour weekend shifts are at the closed vulture mine. You can read some more interesting facts at MEDIA + EVENTS ? Vulture Mine

The actual vulture mine closed permanently in 1942
http://www.vultureminetours.com/s/NEVER_QUITE_LOST1.pdf

More fish oil drivel

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only reason he's here

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not really interested in moving to AZ but am curious about the details. Are these miner jobs you are hiring for? Jackleg/ rocker shovel? Jumbo, bolter, and rubber tire equipment? Service crew? Tour guides? Weekend security jobs?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread