Old mining equipment found?

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This week I found these things on Morse creek wa. By the way I didn’t find ANY gold. The first picture is an iron thing I found under al argue rock by the waters edge. I couldn’t tell if it was left under the rock or if it had gotten there in a flood. The other is pipe used for hydrauliking I’m pretty sure. Any thoughts on the first one? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1529555686.359664.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1529555712.935698.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1529555741.771460.jpg

Upvote 0

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have no idea the size of object in pic is....but my first thought was a track pad off a cat or excavator??????

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have no idea the size of object in pic is....but my first thought was a track pad off a cat or excavator??????

agree

chub

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The exposed part is about a foot long I’d say but that’s just the half of it. The other half is behind that tree. I think it could be off an excavator because of the grooves on top but the bottom is more rounded which made me think that it was for scooping maybe

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The exposed part is about a foot long I’d say but that’s just the half of it. The other half is behind that tree. I think it could be off an excavator because of the grooves on top but the bottom is more rounded which made me think that it was for scooping maybe

A lot of the old timey track pads were smooth or smoother than modern cats with large grousers and/or ice grousers welded on top the grousers? Dig it out...you can do it!!!!....lol

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a claim on Morse creek and almost all of is is under claim or patent. You better be sure where you are, who owns the claim and have express permission from them to be messing around before you dig stuff out for a souvenir or spend the day prospecting.
Be extra certain you are not on my claim. You do not have my permission.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went to the county first that day and did all my homework. I didn't do any high grading I assure you. You're right, almost all of it is claimed up. I was hard pressed to find spots in the area that weren't claimed so I had to walk far and out to those extents looks like there isn't any gold. For a reason they're not claimed. Walk through someone's claim looking around, and taking pictures of old stuff you see is one thing, mineral trespass is another.

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is no issue with walking thru any claim and taking pics. IMHO panning is also not that big of deal unless you know you are on a claim and dont bother to ask the owner. Digging up mining relics as one post (now deleted) suggested is not cool

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Morse creek, waste of time, even the old timers gave up on it, yes a few nuggets were found when they hydroliced the area but was found to be non profitable. I went threw that area over 30 years ago, a few specs yes. Nothing like we get up here in the northern part of the state. Unlike Bonaro who owes you an apology, you are still invited to mine on claims in Northern California also soon we will meet and I will show you new places to mine up here.

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just today I was re reading the book Washington state mines that you recommended to me by Roy f Mayo. Just the part that you are referring to I saw today. A detail that gets overshadowed by the mention of nuggets: that gold was found but not enough to be profitable. Pays to pay attention

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DSC01284.JPG There is another book you should read " Road side geology of Washington state " That will help you a lot to understand why the gold is in the North, glacial and lode. Volcanic areas very little. One day I hope to get you to this place, the pic is that of an old power winch at the old HD mine I am starting to develop.

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a claim on Morse creek and almost all of is is under claim or patent. You better be sure where you are, who owns the claim and have express permission from them to be messing around before you dig stuff out for a souvenir or spend the day prospecting.
Be extra certain you are not on my claim. You do not have my permission.
Wow, hostile. BTW anyone is allowed on your claim. Even you can not remove historic "souvenirs". Even square nails are off limits. Ask the feds.

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many of us here are claim owners and understand the frustration of others high-grading on our hard-won claims.

Of course anyone is allowed to access the claim but where we’re at for example (Rye Patch) if someone is on our claims they always are there for one sole purpose.

Sometimes we’d like to offer some dad and his kids the chance to prospect when we find them on our claims but unfortunately it has to be a zero-tolerance policy.

For those that don’t know at Rye Patch if you visit the Gold Digger Inn on the road to access the area the owner will let you prospect on Section 30 for $20 a day per person. That’s a pretty cool way to safely prospect in an area still giving up the nuggets on a regular basis.

We sometimes have to come across as “hard-core”. We’re actually very generous people but with claims you must be firm.

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a waste of time.if you know where to look you will find the gold.have found it digging in some exposed veins on the hillside and in side creeks.main creek have to get deep and it's in pockets.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Morse creek, waste of time, even the old timers gave up on it, yes a few nuggets were found when they hydroliced the area but was found to be non profitable. I went threw that area over 30 years ago, a few specs yes. Nothing like we get up here in the northern part of the state. Unlike Bonaro who owes you an apology, you are still invited to mine on claims in Northern California also soon we will meet and I will show you new places to mine up here.

LOL, exactly what do I own an apology for?
And I don't really care if you think my claim is not good enough. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread