I Just Got Back Into Highbanking.......Been/Still Am Metal Detecting.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I havd been posting on the Garrett Metal Detecting for years here on Treasurent. I used to prospect 24 years ago, and just got back into it this spring. I live in Edmonton, Canada and have a large, flour gold producing (only) river, "North Saskatchewan" river running through it. Below is my current set up.....4' x 10" + 8" x 5' extension. 4' section usually runs with inverted mesh over vortex matting, then inverted mesh over minor's moss in the 8' extension. This all works reasonably well using a 1" water pump.

ns1.jpg

I have read many articles on sluicing and high banking, many on this forum to help with the decision with this setup.

ns3.jpg

Here are my results......I don't have a wt. on the gold. Close to a gram.....maybe? I brought along my metal detector for this hunt, and searched the surrounding shallow water. I was surprised to get a small silver ring. Also several coins. This area is a common launch spot for kayaks and canoes.
ns2.jpg

Upvote 0

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always see pics of these Canadians on those nice big rivers with their highbankers. Looks like easy digging, not big gold but it is abundant.

RichieRich

Mar 25, 2013
Meridian Id
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, AT Pro Gold, White's IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havd been posting on the Garrett Metal Detecting for years here on Treasurent. I used to prospect 24 years ago, and just got back into it this spring. I live in Edmonton, Canada and have a large, flour gold producing (only) river, "North Saskatchewan" river running through it. Below is my current set up.....4' x 10" + 8" x 5' extension. 4' section usually runs with inverted mesh over vortex matting, then inverted mesh over minor's moss in the 8' extension. This all works reasonably well using a 1" water pump.

View attachment 1607233

I have read many articles on sluicing and high banking, many on this forum to help with the decision with this setup.

View attachment 1607235

Here are my results......I don't have a wt. on the gold. Close to a gram.....maybe? I brought along my metal detector for this hunt, and searched the surrounding shallow water. I was surprised to get a small silver ring. Also several coins. This area is a common launch spot for kayaks and canoes.
View attachment 1607240

Have you tried a full sized Gold Grabber yet? It was designed by Alan Trees specifically to be used on river rock and gravel.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have not. But right now Iā€™m not in the market because soon Iā€™ll be heading to Utah for school and the gold is few and far between

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried a full sized Gold Grabber yet? It was designed by Alan Trees specifically to be used on river rock and gravel.

Why would the set up that he is using now in the picture, not be a lot better then the Gold Grabber or many other store bought systems?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have not. But right now Iā€™m not in the market because soon Iā€™ll be heading to Utah for school and the gold is few and far between

As you get to Utah, be sure to acquire a copy of Alan Chenworthā€™s book ā€˜ā€œA Guide to Gold Panning in Utahā€, Second Edition. Itā€™ll open your eyes to all the gold in that beautiful state!

Be sure to avoid getting stuck with the first edition of the book as that one has only 1/2 the sites of the second!!

Last edited:

RichieRich

Mar 25, 2013
Meridian Id
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would the set up that he is using now in the picture, not be a lot better then the Gold Grabber or many other store bought systems?

Not certain which is better. I have seen the gold grabber work and it seemed easier to set up and use.

RichieRich

Mar 25, 2013
Meridian Id
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Idaho is not too far away. If you can get to Boise give me a ring

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread