Platinum RICH Ore - Next Steps?

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suppose you found some extremely platinum rich ore. I’m talking assay reports that come back at around an OUNCE per ton. What would you do? Try to mine and process it yourself? If so, how? Ship it to a refiner? Sell the information to a mining company (what do they usually pay for information like that)? Would you do something else with it?

Upvote 0

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Suppose you found some extremely platinum rich ore. I’m talking assay reports that come back at around an OUNCE per ton. What would you do? Try to mine and process it yourself? If so, how? Ship it to a refiner? Sell the information to a mining company (what do they usually pay for information like that)? Would you do something else with it?

A good mining attorney may be in order.

Any missteps could cost the locator millions.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First step would be to determine with 100% confidence that the deposits is claimable and not on private land.
Ounces per linear foot of tunnel would be a better measure of value compared to ounces per ton.

A 1/8” wide vein running 1/OPT is drastically different than a 6” wide deposit.

Definitely worth looking into further.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First step would be to determine with 100% confidence that the deposits is claimable and not on private land.
Ounces per linear foot of tunnel would be a better measure of value compared to ounces per ton.

A 1/8” wide vein running 1/OPT is drastically different than a 6” wide deposit.

Definitely worth looking into further.

What if it tested at an ounce per ton and it was placer deposits?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What if it tested at an ounce per ton and it was placer deposits?

Then get legal control of the land and either start digging (trommel time!) or dig sample holes to establish the extent of the deposit and sell the claim to a mining company.

Skunked68w

Jul 25, 2015
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would trade it for a gold mine. Price of platinum crashed a few years ago and it’s only $845 an oz. less platinum use in catalytic converters and recycling has killed the price. The good news is that the big mines in South Africa are getting played out and will probably shutdown in the next year or so. What that does to platinum price will be fun to see.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends on if it was from a black sand assay.

PM metals in placer sands doesn't mean there is placer platinum that will be easy to seperate with gravity.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends on if it was from a black sand assay.

PM metals in placer sands doesn't mean there is placer platinum that will be easy to seperate with gravity.

So you’d have to pulverize and use chemicals instead, right? Is that even possible for a small operation?

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So you’d have to pulverize and use chemicals instead, right? Is that even possible for a small operation?
Yes pulverize.
First you should try a table or wheel, if you have access. Even if you leach you will need to concentrate. Its the first step.

Im really not familiar with chem process for platinum, you should be able to crush n pan see plenty of heavy stuff the goods.
Id keep n play with your find, most times you only get one shot at this game you may never find another good spot.
Gt....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions