Panning locations near Quebec City

RTD-Tech

Feb 3, 2018
Western Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello All,
I'm up near Quebec City for the week on vacation.
I was wondering if anyone knows of a location where the public can pan for gold near here.

Also has anyone ever had trouble bringing cons back into the US. Whenever I cross the border, they often ask if I am carrying soil samples.

Thanks,

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’m curious to hear about bringing back cons. I imagine adding a little bleach would reassure them.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
In the current political and hysterical environment of mistrust, I would make the assumption they would not allow it. You and I know that black sand is not soil. To the uninformed, black sand looks like dirt. I would bring something like a banjo pan which can get the fine gold out of concentrates, work your cons down to mostly gold, and hope for the best. The last I knew the Provincial Government of Quebec required a Prospecting Permit which I believe is $27. Coming back into the US, that might convince suspicious border agents that you are legit. Then again, it might not. The best area in Quebec for placer gold is the Chaudiere River area in southern Quebec near the Maine Border. The Chaudiere and all its tributaries are known gold producers and considered the premier gold area of the Province.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
The problem is that bleach will leach out fine gold, although, it would take many months to begin to have any effect on coarse gold. Of course, any gold dissolved would remain in the bleach solution for later recovery. I live in Maine, a Border State, and what I am hearing from friends who frequently cross back and forth into Canada is not encouraging. The increasing attitude of mistrust since 9-11 has now grown into outright hostility by both Canadian and US Border personnel, especially since Trump’s “tariff war.” The agents, on both sides, seem to be taking pleasure in making life as difficult as possible for travelers. It is already affecting tourism as Maine beach areas have traditionally been a favorite destination for Canadian tourists and we are seeing a lot more Canadians staying out of Maine so far this Summer. On the positive side, we have some great gold areas, including many with public access, near the Canadian Border in northwestern Maine.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To be clear I wouldn’t leave it in the bleach solution for long. Just to get across the border.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Sometimes these guys enforce laws for which they do not even know the purpose. I am assuming that the concern about soil is either pathogens present in the soil or the soil containing some sort of potentially invasive species. Most black sand has been processed to the point where organic material is no longer present. It would be no more likely to carry pathogens or seeds than would the dirt on the bottom of our shoes. But we are dealing with narrow minded bureaucrats who rarely think beyond the ends of their noses. They would be just as likely to think that the bleach covering the black sand is some kind of illegal drug.

OP
OP
R

RTD-Tech

Feb 3, 2018
Western Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I haven't found any Canadian gold yet. Mostly because I haven't been able to get a straight answer from any of the park rangers as to if I can pan in any of the areas we have been camping in. At least that's my excuse, I'd like to think that I'd be able to find some if I could get permission. :laughing7:

I did find a small amount in New Hampshire before coming north, hopefully I won't have to much trouble bringing those cons back home.

We are going to a different spot tommorow. Hopefully I can get permission there.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Good luck. Hope you saw some nice sites like Montmorency Falls and The Cathedral at St. Anne de Beaupre. Les Quebecois are great people and welcoming and friendly in spite of the current political climate.

OP
OP
R

RTD-Tech

Feb 3, 2018
Western Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Had no trouble bringing my cons back across the border. They were more interested in the corn and cherries we had in our cooler than my bucket of dirt. Haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions