Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they have numerous scales for under $20.00. I got a kit with scale, loupe, and test acids for $29.00.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ebay has great deals. I boughy one for like 6 bucks including shipping. 4 years later still works.

craig82

Jan 22, 2018
az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Same boat been looking around for a scale. anyone used any of the harbor freight ones? im more looking to buy local rather than order from amazon cause im old and lame.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craig, give the harbor freight units a try, Most of the less expensive units are chinese made and I have owned Many, Many and Never had trouble with any of them, have one I paid 4$ for delivered and 6-7 years now works great, not even a battery change. Like my time to change has some years on his too.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a heads up. Don't overload them or squeeze them to see how far they go. That could kill them real quick. Also keep those Calibration Weights real close and check before and after each weigh. I've had small differences depending on several factors, un-level table, temp. ...even wind.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are literally 100's of digital scales available for under $20. The things you need to look for are
Resolution - you need to measure down to at least .01 grams, .1 g is not enough. A powder grain scale is great just make sure it will also read grams and oz
Case - to protect it when you have it in your pocket. Many scales have this built in
Calibration weights
Weighing tray

Having a common battery is nice. They usually last 1-2 years but I usually toss my scale and buy a new one when the battery goes.

This would be a good choice
https://www.amazon.com/KEEGH-High-P...&qid=1531554566&sr=1-25&keywords=powder+scale

AurumHunter024

May 10, 2018
CO, 4 corners
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a decent scale with a resolution to .01 for pretty cheap.
Resolution is probably the most important factor to consider, imo.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Most of these "lower priced scales" are nice for your own curiosity BUT NOT to weight gold for sale! Most of these scales do not have the repeatability or accuracy needed in selling/buying gold! I bought a gun powder scale from a Midwest dealer here in Misery and it worked great but I paid a more($50/60) for it. And I also had good triple beam balance scales w/ calibration weights.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a Fuzion Extreme XT-200 that I purchased off eBay over 10 years ago and it still works great. They have some better models out now such as the XT-1000 and most are cheap and if mine ever craps out, I will look into purchasing another Fuzion Extreme.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
002.JPG
Used this one 10 years and only had to replace batts. once :)
Perfect every time.Because it has to be. >>> https://www.midwayusa.com/product/438260/hornady-gs-1500-electronic-powder-scale-1500-grain-capacity 007.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread