Scottish888

Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Folks,

I was not sure where to post for some advice so apologies if this is not correct.
Looking for advice on getting work in gold mines, one major issue I have is that I am applying from Scotland UK so I think my applications are rejected outright even though I state I can get over to the USA within a week.
I am now thinking to combine a holiday with a job seeking aim as I would prefer to talk to the people on the sites directly, likely I would still be directed to personnel but at least I could talk and show them I was on the ground and ready to go.
I am not fussy about most job positions, I am doing it for the experience but still need it to cover my basic costs.
Never worked in a mine before as so few here in the UK but I have an engineering and science background and have a research degree in the hydrology area so I could be useful.
Is this a feasible idea? I know employers would have to fill in extra forms with me being a British foreigner, maybe that kills the idea?

Regards

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Folks,

I was not sure where to post for some advice so apologies if this is not correct.
Looking for advice on getting work in gold mines, one major issue I have is that I am applying from Scotland UK so I think my applications are rejected outright even though I state I can get over to the USA within a week.
I am now thinking to combine a holiday with a job seeking aim as I would prefer to talk to the people on the sites directly, likely I would still be directed to personnel but at least I could talk and show them I was on the ground and ready to go.
I am not fussy about most job positions, I am doing it for the experience but still need it to cover my basic costs.
Never worked in a mine before as so few here in the UK but I have an engineering and science background and have a research degree in the hydrology area so I could be useful.
Is this a feasible idea? I know employers would have to fill in extra forms with me being a British foreigner, maybe that kills the idea?

Regards

For jobs at a "gold mine" your best bet would be to research job openings in Nevada. That said mining is mining so copper and coal mining etc. opportunities are out there too. There are several large gold operations in the northern part of the state and in good times they are often in need of skilled labor as well as equipment and mill operators, etc. Technical positions are harder to find since entry level is usually from fresh college graduates with technical degrees or those with experience in the various fields (maybe your case?). The mines are for the most part open pit operations but I understand there is at least one underground operation too. It/they may have openings but without previous experience you are probably limited to entry level laborer or helper but with the opportunity to learn the skills including operating drills and other underground mining equipment. Actually most if not all mines offer on the job training for many higher paying positions. As far as your citizenship... a call or visit to your or a U.S. embassy should be enlightening for permission for overseas job opportunities. Australia also has large gold mining operations so that hurdle may be easier to jump.

Good luck.

PS Don't turn your nose up to a clerical job. I have known many that have used those jobs as having a foot in the door for other opportunities at the mine.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe many jobs in commercial mines relate to heavy equipment operators and mechanics.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A work visa will be your first challenge.

OP
OP
S

Scottish888

Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you all for the helpful advice,
I am sure I have enough skill from my varied working experiences but as Kevin says the work visa is my biggest hurdle.
I will have to find a company who would be willing to take that on, I am happy to pay all their costs in doing that but finding that company won't be easy but it would make an interesting holiday.
I don't mind any type of work (oilfields, education, water research, general mining/driving) and only need enough money to cover living costs, the rest I can make myself.
Thank you all.

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mad Machinist and I work for the same company, just different sites, he's at a surface copper mine, I'm at a underground block and cave moly mine. It's a decent company to work for. I know one of our engineering interns just got a visa and is from Peru so it is possible.

We are hiring a bunch of entry level people here and across the company. I'm not sure if they would be willing to do a visa or not but they might be since we are pretty short on employees.

I wouldn't worry about an MSHA class, the company will provide it upon hire and usually has new employees take it even if they are current.

The biggest thing with mining is getting your foot in the door, once you have 2-3 years experience it's much easier to move around. I wouldn't be picky about what you are mining. Do you want surface or underground? Are you willing to drive a truck or loader in circles all day? Pour concrete and build forms? My employer likes to promote internally if possible and many guys have started as general labor and are now in skilled trades or management.

Shoot me a PM if you have more questions. If you end up in Colorado I can at least give you a tour.

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe many jobs in commercial mines relate to heavy equipment operators and mechanics.

Mining employs all types/ has tons of positions just like you'd have at a normal company. We have computer/ phone guys, secretaries, accountants, HR, janitors, purchasing, some sites have security guards, electricians, mill wrights, water treatment operators, environmental people, surveyors, geologists, EMT's, the list goes on and on. Most jobs in mining pay decent and can be somewhat hard to stuff due to the locations of mines/ people not wanting to work "at a mine".

Depending on the property they do have a lot of equipment operators though people like haul truck drivers are becoming obsolete and I wouldn't bank on driving a haul truck at an open pit mine for the next 30 years. We do employ a bunch of diesel mechanics thanks to operators who can destroy half a fleet in 1 shift.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the property they do have a lot of equipment operators though people like haul truck drivers are becoming obsolete and I wouldn't bank on driving a haul truck at an open pit mine for the next 30 years. We do employ a bunch of diesel mechanics thanks to operators who can destroy half a fleet in 1 shift.

Well, I can destroy a 19' electric and a 53' all-terrain scissors lift in one shift! :laughing7: Sometimes I wonder about equipment rental companies.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mining employs all types/ has tons of positions just like you'd have at a normal company. We have computer/ phone guys, secretaries, accountants, HR, janitors, purchasing, some sites have security guards, electricians, mill wrights, water treatment operators, environmental people, surveyors, geologists, EMT's, the list goes on and on. Most jobs in mining pay decent and can be somewhat hard to stuff due to the locations of mines/ people not wanting to work "at a mine".

10-4
Sounds like the US needs a whole hell of a lot more large mining operations!!

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I can destroy a 19' electric and a 53' all-terrain scissors lift in one shift! :laughing7: Sometimes I wonder about equipment rental companies.

With skills like that you'd be eligible for a promotion in no time. It's amazing what gets broken underground. I'm pretty sure we buy glass for equipment by the pallet and tires by the semi load. I laugh when I see contractors having nice rental machines nipped underground, they usually don't come up anywhere near as nice as they went down.

10-4
Sounds like the US needs a whole hell of a lot more large mining operations!!

Yeah if someone is interested in mining even if they don't have directly related mining skills the industry is worth looking into. For example we've had postings for an IT guy for months.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go to your consulate and start the process.

your not skilled so, you would have to apply for an h2-b. the cap has already been met for this fiscal year. Also it may be hard to find a mining job that falls under its requirements. Seasonal, temporary or a one time position.

Don't listen to the hype. the number of visas issued was on the rise until around 2007-08... languished and started to rise again and is still on the rise.

Get trained in a skilled position and you can go for an HB-1 your registered employer will sponsor for the visa and your green card if you want to try for citizenship.

Look into Canada as well they love to hire foreign workers over their own citizens. :laughing7:

You may also consider looking more local..... https://www.scotgoldresources.com.au/

As long as the industry is having issues filling positions with domestic employees it is relatively easy to get work. but, it does depend on the industry.

When I worked in Alaska about half the people I worked with were here on work visas. In the ski resorts about one third of them were.

Mostly h2b visas. or exchange visas.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had one lift from a rental company that came with a frayed platform control cable. The next year when rented again, the same problem. Nobody repaired it! I don't know how the guy got it off the truck, as it would move only 3 feet and die from a short. This year had the batteries puke on the 19, and overheated the hydraulic fluid on "Big Blue". It was fun driving Big Blue screaming "Jihad! I keel the infidel!" as I crawl along slower than a slug while in rabbit mode. Had one airport security guy fall over on his moped he was laughing so hard! You just can't take that serious! The new JLG 26 footers were the lifts to watch out for. They were either full out or stop, with no feathering on the controls. That's scary working around million dollar aircraft displays. The worst was setting up rigging points in a tent while operating on a deck that was deflecting a good inch from the weight of the lift. Had to do a lot of plywood hauling and checking for level to complete that job. On the out, the company safety guy made us finish on genie lifts and not scissors when he saw how much the deck bowed from the lift. Just glad I'm not a fork op, as they kill, maim or destroy a load every year. This year the casualty was at the Ford tent. A fork lost a top heavy vehicle cutaway crate when the wind blew it off the tines. If the crate had fork pockets it would have survived.

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You should come to Morenci. We can break a ball peen hammer in a sandbox. And for an encore, we'll show you how to break an anvil wit ha rubber hammer.

Haha, I'm sure you have a ton of stories. I'd love to check out Morenci one of these days. We've been flooded with green beans and it's impressive the amount of stuff torn up by lunch time.

OP
OP
S

Scottish888

Jan 22, 2018
Scotland
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Goldwasher,

Thank you for your advice.
While I am not skilled in mining I am a highly skilled and qualified person.
I have a PhD in fluid mechanics, have years of experience working in Biotechnology, offshore seabed surveys, Hydrology, running an IT dept and lots more so I should easily fit the skilled migrant category.
I could find a job in the science area or teaching but I prefer to get dirty and get gold, it is a very difficult challenge but I appreciate all the advice and kind offers of help from forum members.
It may be I can just be fine with staying 3 months in each year...easier if I claimed to be a refugee :)

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

WalkerDundas

Apr 15, 2023
It's great to hear that you're looking to pursue a career in the mining industry. Combining a holiday with a job search is definitely a great idea as it will allow you to meet people on the ground and show them that you're serious about finding work. As for the issue with your applications being rejected, it's possible that the issue is with the visa requirements for foreign workers. It might be worth doing some research on the specific requirements and paperwork needed before pursuing this avenue.Don't be discouraged if it takes some time to find the right job - persistence is key! Best of luck with your search!

NarayanSingh

Apr 15, 2023
Sorry for joining the discussion so late, but I wanted to give my two cents. It's always a good idea to have face-to-face conversations and make personal connections when job seeking. Your background in engineering and science with a research degree in hydrology definitely sounds like it could be useful in a mining job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread