Blue bowl vs Fine Gold Recovery Mini Sluice Box GPAA Modified Recirculating

Alanae

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband and I are new to this and used his new high banker this weekend. Of course now we have all the concentrates to get through. We have two boys ages 12 and 14 and they love finding gold but hate panning. To be honest I’m not overly fond of it myself. So we were looking for something that would get them involved with the cleanups without having to pan.

After some research we’ve been looking at either the blue bowl or the Fine Gold Recovery Mini Sluice Box GPAA Modified Recirculating. I wanted to get some thoughts from people with more experience before we made a final decision. Thoughts? Pros and cons? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sluice w/ recirculating water flow will probably be the most productive & fun. Easy enough to build one. 009.JPG 007.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alanae

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does it do with fines like flour gold? I’m in NC and it’s not uncommon to find itty bitty stuff that would float away without jet dry.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Learn to pan.

If you can't pan you can't sample.

If you don't sample you might as well run the dirt in your backyard. Digging holes and running material on the hopes you've eyeballed a good spot is the first and biggest mistake for newbies.

Find the gold by sampling and then dig and process. You will get much better results, work less and work smarter!

More gold for less work. hmmmmm

You can practice panning at home sitting in a chair. It's the first and most essential skill of prospecting. Watch some videos and have a *fun* panning competition in your backyard. Use bits of lead and offer the kids a prize for the best panner.

Prospecting without panning is like driving without a steering wheel. You will get somewhere eventually but your destination will be random and a bit whimsical until you run over your neighbors dog.

Learn to pan. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum. :hello2:

Heavy Pans

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
004.JPG
Your pan is your best tool .Just takes practice :)

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Set up a comfortable panning station in good sunlight at home. Do just a little bit of your cons at a time
It all comes down to the pan in the end.
Welcome -- good luck
Mike

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
My husband and I are new to this and used his new high banker this weekend. Of course now we have all the concentrates to get through. We have two boys ages 12 and 14 and they love finding gold but hate panning. To be honest I’m not overly fond of it myself. So we were looking for something that would get them involved with the cleanups without having to pan.

After some research we’ve been looking at either the blue bowl or the Fine Gold Recovery Mini Sluice Box GPAA Modified Recirculating. I wanted to get some thoughts from people with more experience before we made a final decision. Thoughts? Pros and cons? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pan then Blue Bowl.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your only alternative to hand panning is to carry a Gold Wheel automatic panning machine and a 40 pound 12 volt battery.
Learning to pan doesn't sound too bad now does it?

OP
OP
A

Alanae

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I should have mentioned that we bring our concentrates back home. So we were looking for something easy for the boys who want to help clean the concentrates but have no patience for panning. So we were looking for an alternative just for home use. Because no... we already haul enough stuff and don’t want to haul something else to do concentrates in the field.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's cool. Set up a gold wheel at home and put your boys to work :icon_thumright:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for finishing devices

Blue bowl is cheaper . easier to use and more efficient per run than a wheel

But, if your not hi banking or dredging you shouldn't have enough cons to warrant a finishing device beyond a pan

For the kids to participate maybe make a small gutter sluice. Probly the cheapest route.

Vmayt in a section of gutter and a bilge pump to recirculate.

OP
OP
A

Alanae

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for all your help. Getting started is hard and seems to bring with it a lot of questions. Atm we have our cons from hi banking to go through as well as pay dirt my husband bought. Needless to say everyone is interested in seeing what we got in gold. It’s just quite a bit to go through

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks so much for all your help. Getting started is hard and seems to bring with it a lot of questions. Atm we have our cons from hi banking to go through as well as pay dirt my husband bought. Needless to say everyone is interested in seeing what we got in gold. It’s just quite a bit to go through

Panning is made much easier by classifying your concentrates to like sized material. In other words get a set of classifier screens. 30, 50 and 100 mesh should do the job for you* and there you have 4 different batches of material to pan...what stays on top of the various screens and what goes through the 100 mesh one. Common terminology for these batches is; plus 30, minus 30 plus 50, minus 50 plus 100 then down to minus 100 mesh. Don't overload the screens. The key to panning is that gold is heavy and when gold is about the same size as everything else in the pan it is over 3 times as heavy as the non gold so that makes panning easier.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

*Gold that is greater than 30 mesh is pretty easy to pan. It is hard to find most places though.:BangHead:

PS Panning in about tablespoon quantities is recommended for the smaller concentrate sizes if you are determined to get the last tiny specks.
PPS If you do end up with a blue bowl that effort will be made easier to control if you screen them as described above.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So we were looking for something easy for the boys who want
to help clean the concentrates but have no patience for panning. So we were looking for
an alternative just for home use. Because no...

Using a gold pan is one of the most basic and effective methods of gold
recovery.

Respectfully, I believe you need to teach your boys to have some patience.
They want the gold "right now!", but prospecting for gold just doesn't
work that way. It takes patience, hard work and perseverance.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That's cool. Set up a gold wheel at home and put your boys to work :icon_thumright:

Luv my wheel, use it just about as much as my table. Great for drywash cons, Hg cleanup. Hard rock sampling.
Good tool miner approved.
Gt....
Just used it a few days back.
IMG_20180819_195001.jpg

Last edited:

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not the stage in which to use a blue bowl. It's not a super concentrator, it's a final cleanup tool.

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
A

Alanae

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a lot of heavy black sand after using the hi banker and then the bag of Paydirt which is blonde and black sand. I know my husband has been watching a ton of YouTube videos and I’m just hoping he figures this all out. It’s a much more complicated hobby then I originally assumed that’s for sure lol

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
We have a lot of heavy black sand after using the hi banker and then the bag of Paydirt which is blonde and black sand. I know my husband has been watching a ton of YouTube videos and I’m just hoping he figures this all out. It’s a much more complicated hobby then I originally assumed that’s for sure lol

Get a goldcube and cover the slick plate with deep V mat.......
This is a cleanup of about 2 1/2 gallons of cons from the beach.
Or you can get a 3' x 12" section of deep V mat and make a small clean up sluice.
Sluice would be 12" wide by 3 feet long... Run a 900 GPH bilge pump for your water supply and sluice angle should be about 15 degrees.
That is the same amount of water we were running on the cube for the cleanup, and the cube angle is 15 degrees but the slick plate is 12"'x12"
Of course if your gold is bigger than 30 mesh you will need to add some slightly larger riffles along the way. Most of our beach gold is -100 mesh.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread