Question for former CA dredgers

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the possibility of dredging coming back to California next year I've been thinking about dredging a lot. As much as I fantasize about dredging and how much gold I would get, I'd like to get some realistic numbers. I know it depends on so many variables, but anyone who has dredged in CA........
What was you're best/worst day dredging?
What size dredge?
What kind of average per day were you getting?
How did you get your dredge to the water?
Did you dredge in mostly creeks or the main forks of the rivers?
Etc....

Upvote 0

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
n013dx, keep your optomizium about dredging in California next year. There are efforts ongoing which have promise.

Im not able to give you much information regarding your questions, but if answers are not found within the T-Net community, a little more searching the subject on the internet should give you potential contacts to ask your questions.

Theres still I’ll a lot of gold to be found / recovered in California.

Good hunting,
Mike

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a lot of guys are still dredging.

access is always an issue. The good gold isn't just right next to the road. (you would be surprised though)

Mainly hike in gear in relays and work for as long as you can at a time. hike out for supplies

we will se what happens.

working with the water board to sign dredgers up for a pollution permit, when they aren't polluting doesn't seem to be the best tactic.

NPDES permits are site specific. Seeing the "well, maybe clubs can get the permit" "members can work under that permit"

Shows major lack of knowledge mainly on the side of the clubs.

as usual the state and agencies know what they are doing and the clubs play catch up while running backwards:BangHead:

Just dredge

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dredged a little for several years before the ban. I had a old Keene 2.5 inch 1980 version. Found that it was to small to move much material where I was working. Most of my friends had 3 or 4 inch. Luckily is was easy to get to the small stream where we were camping.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think people are going to answer your questions for multiple reasons...

I've never dredged, never been in a stream in Cali. But I do dream of a dredge one day and a place to use it. I would be after the finest stuff I could catch and focus on that, because I believe(for whatever reason) that there is probably a better chance of finding and collecting that. For 100 or more years people have been after the bigger stuff. I also believe there is a lot of it out there in the states. I read one time that every square foot of soil holds some amount of gold. Now, I'm not sure if that is true or not and may have meant in the glaciated(?) areas.

Now, as far as amounts.....I have no clue, and was trying to work out areas that could or maybe, would produce around a 1/4 ozt, or even 3 to 4 dwt's a day with a lot of work. I never got that far and believe(maybe wet dream) that it's very possible.....

This is all coming from a keyboard gold prospecting dreamer... Kind of like a "sidewalk biker". the guy that loves bikes, has all the clothes, but walks the sidewalk and has no bike. That's me and Gold mining!:laughing7: I'm also Ok with being told that the above isn't all that easy or possible, because I really don't have the experience. That is what I'm shooting for though...maybe.Someday!....:occasion14:

Last edited:

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's kinda tough to say how much gold someone get's 'cause no matter what is rich to one is poor to the next. One of the "catch" phrases of our adversaries is that "it's only a hobby" and has bit us in the butt many times in our fight for our rights to prospect and mine determined by our own thoughts of richness. Now suppose I just tell you that I use a five inch dredge and contribute to my fixed monthly income anywhere from 30% to 100% by acquiring gold. Dredging also contributes to my mental and physical health (I live for the sound of bubbles passed from my respirator popping up to the surface of the water) and at my age I refuse to be one of those guy's that wears the seat of their lounge chair out. A couple of puffs from my inhaler and I'm good for another hour underwater. I can't really put a value on those things. Not only do I have the best dog in the world, I have the best conditions living on this claim in the world. Dreams happen but ya gotta' push them a little bit.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mendo is living his dream and that is fine by me. He left California behind and became what I consider a true Oregonian instead of bringing California with him. Best of everything and good luck to him!

Last edited by a moderator:

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mendo is living his dream and that is fine by me. He left California behind and became what I consider a true Oregonian instead of bringing California with him. Best of everything and good luck to him!

I built my mining camp in California.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I built my mining camp in California.
Can mine all year round, but then again I'm a true prospector.

Gt....................

Gold Tramp, stop taking down to members. --> "I'm a true prospector"

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wildminer, political comments and references do not belong in this forum, comment edited back to "California".

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Getting back to the original questions....It is rumored that the California Waterboard may release a dredge permit in 2019...not that I haven't heard THAT ONE BEFORE....and at the present time it's illegal to dredge in that State so any comments on success in the past is just that, history. Part of being a True Prospector is not only locating a promising spot but being able to mine that spot. Creeks, rivers, etc. matters little if you don't have legal access and a legal means of mining it (like with a dang dredge you Sacramento idiots). I kinda got curious about the word "prospector" and kinda shifted to the noun "prospect". I'm hoping that the entire west coast becomes an active mining area again and everyone get's their chance to fulfill the need to dredge for gold". It's always a gamble just getting up and around but if you really want to dredge start looking (prospecting) for open spots/friends/clubs/open claims (which have become less spendy thru-out the past years) and start thinking about what you would need for a summer at a claim. And of course write your congressmen, HA! There's been some threads on what to haul in but maybe it's time for a thread about long stays at a gold camp... anyhow this came from a dictionary site and for me anyhow kinda stretches the perimeters of the word PROSPECTOR.

prospect
[pros-pekt]
See more synonyms for prospect on Thesaurus.com
noun

Usually prospects.
an apparent probability of advancement, success, profit, etc.
the outlook for the future: good business prospects.
anticipation; expectation; a looking forward.
something in view as a source of profit.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kind of random questions...
I've dredged Cali many times. I have picked up over an oz with my fingers in less than an hour and other times I have dredged for a week and gone home with empty pockets. Dredge access is no different in Cali than it is anywhere else. Never dredge the boat launch because everyone else has already. The remote you go the better your chances of finding areas that have not been sterilized. The creeks can be just a rich as the main forks, or not. You have to sample and find the gold. Small dredges are a ***** in big rivers but production is the key to filling the poke. There is usually a certain amount of gold mixed with a whole lot of gravel. The more gravel you wash, the more gold you get...bigger dredge is usually always better

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prospecting for gold, finding gold by any method, may be considered a hobby by some but for anyone that even looks for gold let me tell you it is all about work!

Prospecting for and finding gold by any method is also expensive to do especially if you do not live near Gold Country! Gasoline, tires, vehicle maintenance, food, permits(if required) and prospecting equipment all cost good solid Money!

Physical fitness: If you are not reasonably physically fit then be safe and do your prospecting by watching videos on Youtube! I am trying to be a realist here as being out there in "Gold Country" Will take a lot out of a person physically and if you do not have it to give in the first place then you could need rescuing or worse case you will become a statistic on a hospital list or on a morgue list.

I was personally involved with a senior citizen (which I am also) who took on more than his body was capable of and hiked into a remote location with minimal equipment looking for gold. I gave him a large water container for the hike out as he did not have one. He left most of his equipment in the canyon and ended up in an emergency center as he was not physically able to cope with what was required of him to be "out there"!

Dredging requires a lot of equipment, supplies, support in taking care of the everyday drudge work related to this task and many other tasks, try food preparation! There is a lot more to this than just going out somewhere and getting gold. It can be that simple but it usually is not as those days are behind us and a lot of people want to do this. It will be necessary to have someone there to just watch your camp. If the Cali courts open up dredging it could be a nightmare out there?

Really think this through as if you do not have it thought out well you will not be happy with the end result!

Just IMHO................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread