Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By pulltabfelix
  • 3 Post By DizzyDigger
  • 2 Post By Nitric
  • 1 Post By pulltabfelix
  • 1 Post By dave wiseman
  • 1 Post By Goldwasher
  • 1 Post By IMAUDIGGER

Thread: best way to bust up quartz rock to find gold inside

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, ProFind-35 pinpointer, AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Equinox 6" coil. Garrett Carrot
    225 times
    Relic Hunting

best way to bust up quartz rock to find gold inside

I lugged this 30 lb rock back from some north Georgia gold mine tailings. It rang up 1 and 2 on my Equinox 800 in the gold 1 mode.

brought it home and it still rang up 1 and 2. seems to have a lot of iron stains through it based on one chip I knocked off.

I need to break it up and wondered what is the best way and what to be careful of.

If there is gold do I want to get it all out or leave so me in pieces. (you see I am optimistic and assuming it is gold). I wonder what else it could be. People more experienced than me with the equinox say 1-2 is gold and it it is a hot rock rings up -9. The gold looking stuff in the white area of the rock is not gold, but looks like some iron staining. have yet to see gold in the piece I chipped off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goldqartzrock (1).JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	1631021
    EARL51 and gold tramp like this.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5156 times
    Prospecting
    Got a sledge hammer?

Break it up, crush the smaller pieces into powder, then
    carefully pan it out
    russau, Rail Dawg and gold tramp like this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    5008 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    You probably know this and I feel like an idiot posting this.....Wear safety glasses.....That stuff is like shooting glass when trying to crush it. My wife still doesn't wear gloves and is cut by it weekly digging around.

I don't have any suggestions for crushing, we never got that far. We just broke a few pieces up with hammers. Shooting little glass like shards everywhere. I think years ago it was chemically removed with cyanide.

Someone, somewhat local or that is into the same stuff is Takoda, but you will never get a PM through to him. He posts some awesome pics of gold in quartz. I've seen him mention GA and AL.
    Last edited by Nitric; Sep 11, 2018 at 11:26 PM.
    mytimetoshine and 63bkpkr like this.

us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration LLC

Mar 2015
    Sonoran Desert of AZ
    607 times
    Prospecting
    There are a few ways to make what the Aussies call dolly pots for manually crushing ore. Mortar and pestle is always an option.

Get her all down to a roughly uniform powder then send it off to a good assayer. Theyll be able to tell you if its freemill or refractory. Freemill doesn't mean your going to crush, pan, and get all the gold. Ot refers to the fact that the gold can be leached without any pre leach oxidation being necessary.

Freemill and "visible macroscopic gold" are mistakenly taken to mean the same thing and they don't remotely overlap much at all.
    This ain't Michigan, its GOLD COUNTRY!

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, ProFind-35 pinpointer, AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Equinox 6" coil. Garrett Carrot
    225 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitric View Post
    You probably know this and I feel like an idiot posting this.....Wear safety glasses.....That stuff is like shooting glass when trying to crush it. My wife still doesn't wear gloves and is cut by it weekly digging around.

I don't have any suggestions for crushing, we never got that far. We just broke a few pieces up with hammers. Shooting little glass like shards everywhere. I think years ago it was chemically removed with cyanide.

Someone, somewhat local or that is into the same stuff is Takoda, but you will never get a PM through to him. He posts some awesome pics of gold in quartz. I've seen him mention GA and AL.
    no you need to tell people. I use safety glass all the time. cutting grass, anything using power tools. My so was using a rotary wire brush on a drill when he was a teen and one of the wires broke off and hit him in the side of the eyeball. Fortunately he immediately went to the emergency room and all turned out ok, but painful. I take safety glasses to the tailings pile if i have to bust up in the field a larger rock. I cringe when I see people using gas lawn mower on the lawn and they have their pets and small kids playing right beside them. Have you ever hit a rock, tin can or thick wire? They are frigging airborne projectiles.

thanks
    Nitric likes this.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    225 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltwaterServr View Post
    There are a few ways to make what the Aussies call dolly pots for manually crushing ore. Mortar and pestle is always an option.

Get her all down to a roughly uniform powder then send it off to a good assayer. Theyll be able to tell you if its freemill or refractory. Freemill doesn't mean your going to crush, pan, and get all the gold. Ot refers to the fact that the gold can be leached without any pre leach oxidation being necessary.

Freemill and "visible macroscopic gold" are mistakenly taken to mean the same thing and they don't remotely overlap much at all.
    so even though my Equinox 800 is giving me a strong signal of 1 and 2 there might not be visible gold inside this rock?

Mar 2016
    1380 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pulltabfelix View Post
    so even though my Equinox 800 is giving me a strong signal of 1 and 2 there might not be visible gold inside this rock?
    Iíve yet to detect microscopic gold. Likely there will be a nice visible specimen in your chunk of quartz.
    Personally, I would try and determine where the signal is coming from by turning the rock over and identifying the strongest signal. Break it in half with a sledge and detect both halves...repeated with half that still has a signal. Eventually you will likely see gold. Stop there and consult with someone about proceeding further. Your trying to preserve the largest visually pleasing specimen as possible.

Iíd be looking with a magnifying glass and crushing all pieces in a mortar/pedestal and panning to detect free gold.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Jul 2004
    Angels Camp,Ca.
    647 times
    If your serious about gold mining buy yourself a cast iron mortar and pestle...or make one..lots of vids on youtube.Otherwise,place your rock inside a sack and break offf small chunks and pulverize into powder..then pan out.Check the smaller pieces for gold species.If the fines are not all in one area of the rock the detector won't pick it up.A Falcon MD might,but not a coil.....https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...30.EM98Lsl2FQM
    Last edited by dave wiseman; Sep 12, 2018 at 09:14 AM.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    10514 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    most likely concentrated iron minerals. The spongey rusty stuff in the fractures and voids in the quartz can make a vlf sound off

Break it up into rough pieces chase the signal

no real reason for an assay unless you know the source and actually plan to work it.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration LLC

Mar 2015
    Sonoran Desert of AZ
    607 times
    Prospecting
    We have multiple samples assayed at over 5 ounces per ton without a speck of visible gold until crushing and concentration. I believe our 9.875 opt sample doesn't show visible either. You can crush it and usually see it then, but as far as cracking it open and having a voila! moment, quite possibly not.
    This ain't Michigan, its GOLD COUNTRY!

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    5008 times
    no you need to tell people. I use safety glass all the time. cutting grass, anything using power tools. My so was using a rotary wire brush on a drill when he was a teen and one of the wires broke off and hit him in the side of the eyeball. Fortunately he immediately went to the emergency room and all turned out ok, but painful. I take safety glasses to the tailings pile if i have to bust up in the field a larger rock. I cringe when I see people using gas lawn mower on the lawn and they have their pets and small kids playing right beside them. Have you ever hit a rock, tin can or thick wire? They are frigging airborne projectiles.

thanks
    Ya...I didn't want to be "that guy", but the first time we hit a piece of quartz it just missed my eye, I never even gave it a thought before that....I understand the wire wheels, I've been there!!! I've even pulled the wires out of my side when grind pipe welds, they use big wire wheels for that. They will go straight through your clothes! Anyhow, I'm wayyyyyy off topic! Hope you get gold out of it! That would motivate me to go look a little harder!

Mar 2016
    1380 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltwaterServr View Post
    We have multiple samples assayed at over 5 ounces per ton without a speck of visible gold until crushing and concentration. I believe our 9.875 opt sample doesn't show visible either. You can crush it and usually see it then, but as far as cracking it open and having a voila! moment, quite possibly not.
    Did your detector react to the specimens that assayed good? If so what model detector?
    Kind of depends on the typical deposits in your area. Around here pocket gold is common and I have yet to be disappointed when I get a good strong signal in a piece of quartz.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Sep 12, 2018 at 11:53 PM.
    Rail Dawg likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Mar 2016
    1380 times
    Well no answer and no update on what was inside the rock. I guess nothing interesting.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links