Sluice/Dredge Carpeting & Mats

Lycof

Jul 29, 2017
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am currently working at a flooring company. I have seen all of the questions on the forums of what and where as far as carpeting selection. I snagged our Unbacked Veranda board at work and took some pictures. I then stopped by another local shop and took a look at rubber and PVC mats.

As far as the carpeting, my boss said that he would order in an entire roll and pre-cut it 18" wide, then offer it up for a flat fee per linear foot with free shipping.

I don't want to overstep the rules of the forums here. I just know how there are places out there that try to take advantage of the pricing markup for this hobby. Also how hard it is to find consistent products. I am trying to lend a helping hand.

If we can come to a general consensus of which of the carpets picture below is best suited for capturing gold, and get enough interest, the boss will order the entire roll for us.

Also pictured are the rubber and PVC mats. The PVC one looks very interesting to me, I will be trying some soon. I especially like it as an idea for a miner's moss backer. The "Vortex" mat that is pictured is 3-ply. The supplier is looking into getting 2-ply in stock for us, less expensive and half the weight.

Again, I am not trying to break any rules here, I am just trying to help remedy some online stores charging $40-$60 for a square foot of matting.

V1.jpg

Upvote 0

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Diamond is the bomb. I used to convert all my sluices to Veranda with that diamond pattern.
Here's a pic from way back when:thumbsup:
Bob
01 shaw veranda diamond.jpg

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hoser was the inspiration for my conversion...he's been absent on here since before the fires???

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice of you to offer a contact for supplies at better than the usual mine the miner prices.
I'm thinking the crescent could be a good clean up mat. I have Doc's mats but just might try some for fun.

Good info Leo, and can't wait to see how the new dredge sucks :icon_thumright: in a good way that is :laughing7: :occasion14:

OP
OP
L

Lycof

Jul 29, 2017
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know! I'm excited about running it.

I can't offer it yet. Gotta make sure the boss won't lose money on an entire roll. Just to restate, there is no profit in this for me. Just trying to make it more easily available for all at an affordable price.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the veranda diamond carpet is good stuff, its best if it doesnt have any kind of backing so fines can work their way through to an underlay of ribbed rubber. They sell it in 8x10 rolls at costco or lowes for outside of RV's. Its what I use in my dredge, I still use miners moss in my regular river sluice.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used the Veranda in my 3" combo over-under and it worked great. The underbox was Veranda with expanded and captured beach sized fines very well while mining on the Bandon plain. Underburden sold me that mat at a very reasonable price at the time. Seems as though it's all a distant memory now thanks to the Oregon legislature and governess.

OP
OP
L

Lycof

Jul 29, 2017
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh my boss..

He is ordering it either way, just shy of 3,000 square feet will be ordered on Monday. He said he is willing to do custom cuts, so that makes it even better. So, anything under 12 feet wide and 250 feet long is doable lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions