Gold vein in the Raw

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Vein of gold in a mine not too far from Black Canyon City...and this is in an old peralta mine....they didn't get all the gold....untouched by modern man...db 20150816_134300.jpg

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When you gonna get it?

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Often such vein gold was left on purpose. If the ore structure was determined to be necessary to maintain the structural integrity of the tunnels/shafts it was often left.

Bejay

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The blue is the mineral Chalcanthite. It's a copper mineral commonly found in abandoned copper mines. It forms when water passes through the copper and dissolves the copper sulfate. The copper sulfate is redeposited on the walls of the mine as Chalcanthite.

Heavy Pans

travis.gore.79

Sep 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The blue is the mineral Chalcanthite. It's a copper mineral commonly found in abandoned copper mines. It forms when water passes through the copper and dissolves the copper sulfate. The copper sulfate is redeposited on the walls of the mine as Chalcanthite.

Heavy Pans

Thanks [emoji106]

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Might be azurite, I see a bit of malachite in the rock.
And it looks botryoidal ? I think chalcanthite is effervescent ?

My 2cents.

Gt.....

IMG_20181012_115337.jpg
The light blue on the surface here is chalcanthite.

IMG_20181012_102236.jpg

Azurite / malachite

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Chalcanthite is commonly botryoidal and occurs in a wide range of blues. Check out these pictures at Mindat.

Since Chalcanthite is water soluble and Malachite is not just boiling the rock material will show which of those copper minerals it is. Chalcanthite will dissolve in the water - Malachite will not.

Azurite is mildly water soluble but it might take a few years to see a difference. Instead of waiting a few years you can put a torch to a sample that appears to be Azurite and it will break down into black copper oxide powder if it is Azurite.

You can also use fresh dilute nitric acid on the sample. If the material is Azurite or Malachite it will fizz in the acid because they are carbonates. Chalcanthite does not fizz because it's a sulfate.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The samples on mindat, are those some type of morphism, or is it true chalcanthite ?
I always thought it was a crusty needle like mineral.
Learn something new everyday.
Gt....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread