Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Theft of mining equipment.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    1999 times
    Prospecting

Theft of mining equipment.

A pair of my mining buddies/ and a claim partner(s) have had their mining equipment and camp trailers stolen right off the claims. Both were occupying different claims but set up within 1000 yds of each other. Anyway, long story short: Using/utilizing trail cams the identity was determined and a pair of culprits were caught. Most of the equipment had been sold but one of the camp trailers was still pretty much intact. (they would strip them down and part them out). After about 5 months a Federal prosecutor called my friend/partner and said they were throwing the book at the pair. It happened on managed Federal Lands and they were Federal Mining claims and the amount added up to Grand Theft. The prosecutor told my buddy that each could get up to 50 years in the big house. After further investigations the prosecutor stated he felt there was a ring of thieves and that the two who were caught were just the tip of the problem.

It is nice to hear that a Federal Prosecutor has/shows no mercy for the thieves. Of the two culprits one is pretty much penniless but the other has a house and property...which he says he feels can be attached to retribution. A Federal Crime was committed. It is nice to know someone has the miners backs. Now it is a wait and see what finally happens.

So Clay...you know the mining partner:....Jack.

There was also a such a pair of culprits in the Rich Hill Az area and it would be nice to clue those two guys in on the consequences of mining equip theft......just saying!

Bejay
    Last edited by Bejay; Oct 12, 2018 at 09:44 AM.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    2532 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    I'm glad the thieves were caught and are being prosecuted! I hate thieves!

Kace

us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration, LLC

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    3959 times
    Prospecting
    In Arizona we still hang them from the nearest tree. LOL.
    russau, Rail Dawg and diggummup like this.
    Mining is how I make my living. I turn mountains into dust on a daily basis.

Aug 2015
    1018 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Yucca doesn't count as a tree LOL

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mikep691 View Post
    Yucca doesn't count as a tree LOL
    BUT IT WILL WORK JUST FINE !!!

us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration LLC

Mar 2015
    Sonoran Desert of AZ
    623 times
    Prospecting
    There's a lot of open shafts out there. Be a damn shame if a thief tripped on a rock and fell into one.
    russau, Nitric and N-Lionberger like this.
    This ain't Michigan, its GOLD COUNTRY!

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1689 times
    Prospecting
    Ummm...Yeah....I share your dislike for thieves but this is not 1872 and theft does not justify homicide. A lot of miners have a Yosemite Sam attitude but acting on that will land you in prison.

us
    Apr 2014
    SW Oregon
    432 times
    Prospecting
    The miners and neighbors around here may not always see eye to eye but we all stand together when we need to. One of the helpful things is to see photo's and names of those to watch out for. Any info, area, time frame on those two that were caught?

Charter Member
    us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    5278 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltwaterServr View Post
    There's a lot of open shafts out there. Be a damn shame if a thief tripped on a rock and fell into one.
    This is why people should stay out of abandoned mines!!! They just aren't safe! Snakes,bad air,unstable.......Trip on a rock and fall down a hole?
    Would it be a little better if you hung your tools over the hole? Then it wouldn't seem as bad.

Glad the thieves were caught. That's good to hear that they didn't get slapped on the wrist and let go.
    Last edited by Nitric; Oct 17, 2018 at 01:00 AM.
    Goldwasher likes this.

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9408 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaro View Post
    Ummm...Yeah....I share your dislike for thieves but this is not 1872 and theft does not justify homicide. A lot of miners have a Yosemite Sam attitude but acting on that will land you in prison.
    I'm old school. I'd rather just chop off their hands.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    10584 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    If they actually did more to thieves people wouldn't have such a "Yosemite Sam " attitude about it.

Where I'm at they barely investigate break ins. and The S.O. takes about a day to even show up and make a report.

The thieves know this.

Glad that some states still have law enforcement with some teeth.

us
    www.FindingGOLDinColorado.com

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer, Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper highbanker, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10027 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by diggummup View Post
    I'm old school. I'd rather just chop off their hands.
    You mean like the Saudi Arabian hard core Muslims do?
    N-Lionberger likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2013
    Central Oregon
    Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
    84 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    If they actually did more to thieves people wouldn't have such a "Yosemite Sam " attitude about it.

Where I'm at they barely investigate break ins. and The S.O. takes about a day to even show up and make a report.

The thieves know this.

Glad that some states still have law enforcement with some teeth.
    This, the thieves took something I worked for, time out of my life. They need to make me whole again, or they loose their life. Would make it pretty simple.

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    1999 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mendoAu View Post
    The miners and neighbors around here may not always see eye to eye but we all stand together when we need to. One of the helpful things is to see photo's and names of those to watch out for. Any info, area, time frame on those two that were caught?
    The culprits were out of the Myrtle Point/Bridge/Remote area and cruising Powers to Riddle to Glendale areas. West Fork of Cow Creek and Cow Creek as well as Coquille Middle and South fork areas. They had been operating as thieves for about the past 6 years that I know of. I have not talked to the authorities, but my mining buddies will be more informed as the sentencing begins. The culprits both pleaded guilty to the theft....kinda hard to deny things when you are on camera and get caught with the goods (some of it).

Most often such things/happenings get tossed aside by some of the authorities; but my partner is connected. I will gain more info as it comes forth.

Bejay

us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration LLC

Mar 2015
    Sonoran Desert of AZ
    623 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaro View Post
    This ain't Michigan, its GOLD COUNTRY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links