Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Feb 2004
    1 times

How would you make a Creek gold Nugget Trap?

I saw and ad that said "How to build Simple effective Creek gold Nugget Traps for absentee gold prospecting", the other day in a gold prospecting magazine.

Sounded like a decent idea. I am sure it is about constructing something like a sluice box and placing it in the creek during the winter.

Well rather than being able to buy this set of plans for a reasonable price this guy wants to sell me like 5 sets of plans and he will include this set of plans free.

Since I only want the one set of plans and I believe the people on TN are probably more informed on this than the guy selling the plans, I was wondering...

How would you build Simple effective Creek gold Nugget Traps for absentee gold prospecting? Any ideas?
    I am looking for Pandora's Box. I have got to see what is inside.

Proud to be Rogue.

Expedition Central America: T minus 2 months and counting!

This time with Satellite Internet connection!

us
    The Watcher

Apr 2004
    Northern Nevada
    Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
    245 times

Re: How would you make a Creek gold Nugget Trap?

Hey erkicwt....I know people who put sewer pipe in the streams for the winter. You have to remember that it takes a good storm to move the gold so it has to be in the right place and placed so it stays....Art

Feb 2004
    1 times

Thanks for your answers.

The streams I am talking about are in Central America and would be placed down right before the wet season.

I am real interested in what kind of pipe someone would use. What would be a good way to mount the pipe so it would not move. The rainy season in Central America is torrential

Would you add riffles on top of the carpet in the pipe?

The pipe would have to be light enough to transport by hiking it in. There are no roads where I am going.

Thanks for the insight. Just thinking out loud here. Welcome all ideas.

Proud to be Rogue.

us
    The Watcher

Apr 2004
    Northern Nevada
    Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
    245 times

The pipe would be corrugated plastic pipe. There are a lot of different sizes. I have no idea as to how to anchor itů.Art

Feb 2004
    1 times

Tent stakes! What a wonderful idea. Thanks

I am looking forward to trying this.

Proud to be Rogue.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    632 times

the first thing you have to think about is that the gold only moves when there is lots of water movement. thats the winter run off in the spring.anything thats in the creek is going to move and that includes a corigated sewr pipe or any carpet,nailed down or not. the best is a deep trench across the wideth of the creek or a bunch of holes drilled into the creek bed.using natural materials or digging a trench is the best way in my opinion.adding anything into a creek is littering and its gonna cause you trouble and besides itll allert someone to your spot if they see it.

Sep 2007
    Central Florida
    Whites, Garrett, & Compass

You could also try a piece of black plastic corrugated poo pipe available at most hardware stores like Home Depot. Cut it in half down the length and use long tent stakes to keep it in place.

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
    85 times

Eric, I have thought about this one for quite awhile, and have yet to come up with a real good design thats not labor intensive.

It would have to be anchored to the bedrock, or built right into it.

Best would be in an area where there is gently sloping bare bedrock. Cut slits into it with a concrete saw and jackhammer out the crevices. All the way across the creek or river.

Next best would be a 4 by 8 sheet of aluminum or steel, at least 1/8 inch thick (11ga.) Built like a regular sluicebox and have reinforced expanded metal covering it. This would keep out anyone who wanted to clean it out for you, and keep out the bigger rocks, (sort of a self screening thing) while still allowing good water flow.

It would have to be anchored to the bedrock at all four corners with rebar, preferably, and the upper lip where the metal meets the bedrock would have to be sealed with cement or something, to keep the gold from sliding underneath.

A pipe would only touch bedrock at one point.... think half a circle here. You'd have to be awfully lucky the gold would run down that particular half inch or so.

Wider is better, then there would be the trick of leveling while you anchor, might not be the easiest chore in the world....

Here's a quick sketch-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bedrock box.jpg 
Views:	1193 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	160106

But it can be done by someone with patience, time and materials.

(Wish I still had Autocad at home, LOL!)

Dec 2004
    The Lone Star State
    1 times

find bedrock lay carpet tapcon your riffles through the carpet into the bedrock
    tapcons are concrete screws use the bedrock as your sluice
    Explorer II
    Minelab Sovereign Elite
    Bounty Hunter 505

Dec 2004
    The Lone Star State
    1 times

Or better yet buy the biggest sluice box you can buy drill holes through it and tapcon it to the bedrock
    Explorer II
    Minelab Sovereign Elite
    Bounty Hunter 505

Jul 2007

Quote Originally Posted by ericwt

...about constructing something like a sluice box and placing it in the creek during the winter.

How would you build Simple effective Creek gold Nugget Traps for absentee gold prospecting? Any ideas?
    This is a problem in durability : Anything placed in a flood-prone stream will eventually get mangled / torn / gone! IMHO, groove the rock bed! Use a gas-powered brick saw (any tool rental place will have them) , go out to the stream of your choice(when it's dry?), bring along a rake and a broom, locate a suitable collection spot, rake the stream bed to rock(bottom), then sweep everything down to "clean" rock.

Using the bricksaw diamond wheel, put on those face shields (glasses are too small! Your face needs protecting, too!) & slice several deep cuts from one side of the stream to the other (1 inch apart?). Using a hammer and a chisel, break out every other course of rock. What you should end up with is a series of square troughs in the bedrock about 1 inch apart and 4 or 5 inches deep. Flatten the bottoms with a hammer and a large punch (this is for ease of removal of all the collected material later).

After a couple (?) of good Spring floods, clean out the troughs. I'll bet you find more than sand! Let it flood again! check again! Repeat until you either get tired of it...or you're too rich to care! The rock grooves are indestructable! It is only necessary to keep them cleaned out!

Dec 2004
    The Lone Star State
    1 times

what he said
    Explorer II
    Minelab Sovereign Elite
    Bounty Hunter 505

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors