Visiting family and sneeking out for some fun....

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm visiting family near Boise, Idaho this week. The weather is about 15* above normal, in the 70's and sunshine. Haven't dipped a pan yet, been out looking at gem sites and such this time for something different.

1st one I drove to was an opal site, way back in the mountains. I got there and saw it had claim posts, found the paperwork and it was claimed 10-18-18....5 days before I got there. I went to a backup unclaimed site and picked up some low grade petrified wood and other pretty rocks.

Yesterday I searched for and found an old gold mine in the Owyhee mountains and grabbed a bucket of samples from the main vein next to the opening......and more pretty rocks, there's lot's of rose quartz in the area of the site.

Here's a link to the history of the mine and some pictures, and no, I did not go inside. It was verrrrrry loose rock around the opening.
The Berg mine.....
https://idahogeomap.nkn.uidaho.edu/webmap/WebData/Mines.asp?Operation=Details&IDs=BO0410

Getting there...
DSCF0024.JPG
main portal
DSCF0012.JPG
Ore body next to the tunnel...
DSCF0016.JPG
DSCF0017.JPG
DSCF0018.JPG
Even wild horses couldn't keep me away....
DSCF0010.JPG
Nor could any goofy goats......
DSCF0002.JPG
More later :occasion14: cheers....

Attachments

• DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
I'm visiting family near Boise, Idaho this week. The weather is about 15* above normal, in the 70's and sunshine. Haven't dipped a pan yet, been out looking at gem sites and such this time for something different.

1st one I drove to was an opal site, way back in the mountains. I got there and saw it had claim posts, found the paperwork and it was claimed 10-18-18....5 days before I got there. I went to a backup unclaimed site and picked up some low grade petrified wood and other pretty rocks.

Yesterday I searched for and found an old gold mine in the Owyhee mountains and grabbed a bucket of samples from the main vein next to the opening......and more pretty rocks, there's lot's of rose quartz in the area of the site.

Here's a link to the history of the mine and some pictures, and no, I did not go inside. It was verrrrrry loose rock around the opening.
The Berg mine.....
https://idahogeomap.nkn.uidaho.edu/webmap/WebData/Mines.asp?Operation=Details&IDs=BO0410

Getting there...
View attachment 1645945
main portal
View attachment 1645941
Ore body next to the tunnel...
View attachment 1645942
View attachment 1645943
View attachment 1645944
Even wild horses couldn't keep me away....
View attachment 1645946
Nor could any goofy goats......
View attachment 1645947
More later :occasion14: cheers....
nice pics..the quartz veins look like a stock works..

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike.... That's not a goat, it's a pronghorn antelope.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow cool pics thats adventure right there Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
mike(swWash)

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Dave, never heard of stockworks, I just called them quartz stringers.

I see if there's anything in it when I get home a crush it some. Time to build a flail rock crusher :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread