Going out west to prospect.

RedBaron

Oct 24, 2013
Lakeland, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Living in Florida and trying to plan a gold prospecting, both panning and metal detecting trip out west. Not sure what states to research and what areas. Any ideas/info would be helpful. Maybe a club, meet with an individual, or store with info in a area would helpful. I have no time restrictions and willing to drive anywhere. I lived in New Hampshire and did some stream and river panning in NH & VT. Wish I could just really ask "Ask Jeff Williams" for advice on where to start. Yea, I watch YouTube gold prospecting videos, along with the TV's Bearing Sea gold ( both) and Gold Rush. So some help on where to start would be great. Thanks, Bill:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No Goodyears Bar is not on fire, my friend has a claim up there and Clay is right heavily claimed up and private property, there is no public panning location at Goodyears Bar that I am aware of. I found my first little nuggy at Union Flat Campground, it has been hit extremely hard you really need to know where to look. There is a lot of open hands and pans area on the South Yuba, lots of good gold up there.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sound of the Gaily Colored Peacock is a thing to marvel at especially if a person is not aware they are there, like after lights out and one of them birds decides to bust out with "hey I'm here" call. Kinda exciting even!...……………….63bkpkr

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The sound of the Gaily Colored Peacock is a thing to marvel at especially if a person is not aware they are there, like after lights out and one of them birds decides to bust out with "hey I'm here" call. Kinda exciting even!...……………….63bkpkr

No experience with them but busting a covey of quail out of tall grass right under your feet will get your heart started.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No experience with them but busting a covey of quail out of tall grass right under your feet will get your heart started.

Out here in the East our turkeys will roost in low trees at night. Walking under one of those big birds, and having it swoop down to the ground over your head, in the dark, making all sorts of noise, will scare the...stuffing out of you.

- Brian

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Union Flat wow met the Buzard there back in the early 70s. Didn't know it was still open. Old Bud Larry dredged upstream through 10+' of overburden to find Kilroy was here chisled into the bedrock hahahaha. Crazy place in the day-John

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Union Flat wow met the Buzard there back in the early 70s. Didn't know it was still open. Old Bud Larry dredged upstream through 10+' of overburden to find Kilroy was here chisled into the bedrock hahahaha. Crazy place in the day-John

Back in the day I had a three inch I spent three days to reach the bottom of a very good looking hole on Indian Creek out of Happy Camp. Scored big time at the bedrock if you like really old Ham's beer cans!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread