63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
firebird, prospecting in general has its inherent dangers as there are all sorts of ways to hurt the human body even in nice weather: tripping, falling, slippery rocks, loose rocks, drowning, falling trees, rattlesnakes, bears, bad weather and taking chances to name but a few. Add to that list winter weather and the odds just go up for something to go wrong as now the water that was cold is now even colder, the air is colder and now you could have ice on the rocks. The daylight hours are shorter and in california the fire danger is still high and you want to be warm in camp or out on the river so one usually builds a campfire. If a person looses control of their campfire now they have a forest fire that will do its best to kill them. Oh and if your vehicle gets stuck Out There and it starts snowing then one had better be in good physical condition as now your odds of staying alive just went down again. Do people go prospecting in the winter, You Bet they do!

Be Safe, Be Strong, Be Prepared, understand how to keep yourself alive in the worst of conditions as they Will Happen. I've been out there in October in Northern California when ma nature decided to rain for three days solid and on the fourth day in a drizzle we HAD TO HIKE OUT, back up 3,000' vertical feet. Then when we got up high enough it was lightly snowing and our car had been stolen. If you are not in good physical condition with some good muscles you can count on wait for summer to come back. When a person is Out There Stuff Happens so be prepared for it, IMHO...........................63bkpkr

PICT0155.JPG I did get a fire started but man it was wet

PICT0265.JPG This is Not for everyone

175_7510.JPG Pay attention to the weather

Hey Firebird - yes indeed gloves are very important summer And winter. Protecting all parts of our hands should be an important consideration. Hands can do tiny delicate work and they can do heavy work. They need to be protected from cuts, burns and freezing and at time too much exposure to water. I use leather gloves in the summer and go through a pair quickly if I'm not thinking about what I'm doing. Cold weather demands we keep our hands warm. I like mittens for warmth, waterproof light weight neoprene gloves coupled with very long rubber over gloves for working in cold water. All of these items add extra weight to what a person carries in but protecting the self is important.

Last edited:

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes you can....!!!! sometimes a guy just has to "cure that itch" no matter how cold it is.....

goldzilla.JPG

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in gunnison and I'm off for the winter so that's when I get most of my free time. Vehicle access is the only issue I have since mountain roads aren't plowed but we snowshoe or ski if it's a reasonable distance and make a day of it.
I carry handwarmers but I've never used them, rubber kitchen type gloves to keep my hands somewhat dry, gortex pants to keep my legs dry and insulated muck boots.
I always try to pack light when I'm checking an area out but if I return with a sluice I'll bring a big scoop snow shovel and a big San angelo bar to break up any ice covering the water.
One thing you learn fast is that even plastic gold pans will freeze fast and you need to keep them submerged to stay thawed. They dont work right with ice on them. Alot of times you are limited to working in the water channel if everything is rock hard also so plan on being in the water to dig.
Weve even done a little rock hounding during the winter but it's at places weve found and marked previously or on the south sides of slopes where it might be clear.
Last winter we went to collect some septarian nodules that were under the snow at a spot we found during a walk IMAG1160.jpg and this one was on the surface so just snow to dig and close to home. IMAG1182.jpg IMAG2012.jpg

And there's times it just doesn't work out too.

Last edited:

RTD-Tech

Feb 3, 2018
Western Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last January we had a real nice 42 degree day and I decided to spend the day at the river. It was sunny and I was dressed for the cold(ish) air. I found a comfy spot to pan about two gallons of material and afterwards when I attempted to stand up I found that my heels had gone completely numb because my water boots are not insulated. This shouldn't have been a surprise to me as I am a snowboarder and know quite well the value of proper clothing for the weather. I guess this just shows that even though the air may be warm(ish) the water can still be deadly cold.

I'll have to get better boots, the rivers here are usually real low in the winter.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If theres gold I would

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome also Tommy

OP
OP
F

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last January we had a real nice 42 degree day and I decided to spend the day at the river. It was sunny and I was dressed for the cold(ish) air. I found a comfy spot to pan about two gallons of material and afterwards when I attempted to stand up I found that my heels had gone completely numb because my water boots are not insulated. This shouldn't have been a surprise to me as I am a snowboarder and know quite well the value of proper clothing for the weather. I guess this just shows that even though the air may be warm(ish) the water can still be deadly cold.

I'll have to get better boots, the rivers here are usually real low in the winter.

What about gloves, do you use anything special? Water gets really cold too even when it's not winter.

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In NW Washington we are lucky because winters are mostly just rainy, so yes, we go out all winter unless it's actively raining. Insulated boots and gloves are a must though because the river is definitely colder. Hand warmers are also handy to have just in case.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hope to have more time this winter when the rains bring the seasonal creek up that I work. It's on a decent enough FS road, but there may not be traffic on it for days so I keep survival gear and redundant parts for the rig. Extra food and first aid supplies are a given as well as fire starting capabilities. I bring dry firewood from home when the woods are wet. My GGT has been calling me wanting to go to work, but it hasn't rained enough yet! Atlas #620 gloves are a pretty good rubber glove with a fabric inner layer. Speaking about gloves, I also keep two pairs of ski gloves in the rig for emergency, one for me and another for a partner. Ha, maybe I should go south for the winter, but I love the change in seasons in Oregon. Get out there and get some gold!

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Firebird, for me, it's the best time to prospect, there's water in the smallest of creeks, there's no bugs or people and the brush is all defoliated and washed down. If you go when the snow level is low, the water is also low and you can still access the cracks in the bedrock. You need to dress for it and I always carry a change of cloths I leave in the car. I fell in the water a couple of January's ago and had to drive home nearly naked with the heater blasting, a funny sight I'm sure but leaving on the cold, wet clothes was not an option. I do carry a survival kit with me that has energy bars, a space sleeping bag, a couple of pieces of Fat Wood (fire starter), a lighter and a headlamp. The biggest problem I've had is the bedrock is Extremely slippery in the winter, not only does it get icy but it also gets slick from staying wet for a few months straight. My feet came out from under me faster than I could react and I hit hard, scared the crap out of me. To remedy the situation, I cut a path on the hillside above the creek so I don't have to walk on bedrock. Crossing the creek becomes a challenge at times and I've had to cut yet another path so as to not have to cross the creek. Another problem is the lack of sun, I have a place I like to work but it gets zero sun from Dec. 1 through Jan. 15, Zero, there's frost and ice there all day long and the water is ice cold. The other item is timing the weather. That said, I absolutely love prospecting and mining in the winter. I retired three years ago and thought I would prospect mostly in the summer, instead I find the summers too hot and dry. It's not for everyone but there are people like me that look forward to November, the start of mining season (through June for me)! Be safe but go for it!!!

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whatever you do do NOT drop your engine/pump/compressor on your knee while slipping on a rock in a storm!

Get a sat phone/gps locator.

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get cold when im standing in the shade too long. lol. I have tried a few times in winter around northern Colorado. frozen ground, slippery as heck, hand injuries are easier and more painful in the cold. when your thinking your moving your fingers and they are lethargic and don't seem to be doing what your mind is telling them to. that means its time to wait for better seasons. lol. but I do go little crazy every winter with desire to go..

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I'm at its the main time the old timers could even try to work the placer deposits

It's my placering season on the claim.

Like Spillercanyon I have a section of the drainage that gets no sun for more than a month.

I have smooth slick slate that is knives and razor blades where it is broken. I am very carful as I do not want to fall on it while moving around.

Since I'm there four or more days a week I cover up some wood and have a warming shelter storage area set up. I can have a small fire and have soup or stew in a thermos.

I work even when it's raining so it's nice to have some shelter to get under and take a break.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i go detecting in the winter because its to wet to go dry washing,get out there,be safe.
good luck brad

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Winter prospecting is just as productive but not and comfortable...gear up

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’ve only missed 2 months out of the last 100+ months here in Colorado.

No such thing as bad weather, just poorly dressed miners ;)

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a good record kevin . what area or altitude are you digging in. summit county is a hard place to prospect in the winter. I have tried in the I-70 corridor, Blackhawk and rollinsville areas, boulder, nederland and ward areas. tried fairplay, alma, Leadville and south of there. the production is to slow and with more hazards. are you playing down on the front range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions