Newbie Gold Hunter Here- is this gold?

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! My name is Ethan Annis. I was recently but by the gold bug after hearing about lots of success! As soon as I get a free weekend, I plan to go on my first actual gold panning trip to some waterways here in Virginia. However, I think I found my first gold today. After watching YouTube videos about people finding a few flakes of gold in the Quickrete all purpose sand from Home Depot, out of curiousity, I broke out the gold pan and panned for the first time. I found what I believe to be my first gold, and I was wondering if anyone can confirm it. It is microscopic but I think it may be gold. Thank you for looking, and please let me know what you think. :)
208FB287-2799-4AAD-82AD-900B894DE0A8.jpeg A7211123-401B-450D-8C88-3FF92E723846.jpeg 661A2404-F147-4C0E-8347-77397B17D42D.png

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is impossible that any of us can confirm that what you have is gold from a picture. That said it is possible that it is. One usually reliable test is to look at it in full and shaded light. Gold still looks like gold under both conditions while other materials usually show a drastic color change. Gold is malleable so you can also test to see if it shatters (not gold) or just flattens (possible gold) when squeezed with pliers or hit with a hammer. This test is extreme and usually not necessary when you know from experience what placer gold looks like.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is impossible that any of us can confirm that what you have is gold from a picture. That said it is possible that it is. One usually reliable test is to look at it in full and shaded light. Gold still looks like gold under both conditions while other materials usually show a drastic color change. Gold is malleable so you can also test to see if it shatters (not gold) or just flattens (possible gold) when squeezed with pliers or hit with a hammer. This test is extreme and usually not necessary when you know from experience what placer gold looks like.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and information! I will take some better pictures! It is powder gold sized.

OP
OP
E

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Clay, more pictures to come! I appreciate all knowledge and experience in this area.

OP
OP
E

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be. Need better pictures. Maybe put a quarter or an elephant next to it so we can see how big it is.

Heavy Pans

So a bit more info and more pictures:

I found it among black sand, I tried pretty hard to crush it and it did not crush at all, it maintains its color in the dark and the light.
AAF6EFC4-105B-4D20-A5C6-AE8AF3B33719.png 9AA3904D-80B0-45B9-BD05-1712A15C871C.png

OP
OP
E

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It passed each test you mentioned as gold! It did not crush, it maintains a vibrant gold color in light and dark despite its small powder size etc.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It passed each test you mentioned as gold! It did not crush, it maintains a vibrant gold color in light and dark despite its small powder size etc.

I think we can say you are a winner then! Welcome to the ranks of gold prospectors. Now go get some more!!

OP
OP
E

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much Kevin, I am very excited to do just that!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, you may have done it! Congratulations.

I remember when all I had to work with was micron gold as the gold near where I live has been ground to a powder by the massive glaciers that once roamed my neck of the woods. But, the gold's small size made me a careful panner, and since my teething years, I've moved on to fat and sassy nuggets which I mainly gather by nugget shooting, but I'll always remember my roots from the days when I chased the micron gold.

A good case of gold fever is always far healthier than any flu strain . . .

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nm: I see passed other tests :D

Put it in it's own vial, your first gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread