Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree295Likes

Thread: Stepped in bear poop yesterday at my prospecting area, advice?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    4087 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    My "little" 454 with its 5.250" barrel in a shoulder holster rig carries nicely, I can get to it quickly and keep it on me all the time. I keep it loaded with solid nosed jacketed 300 grain slugs in the heavy brush and forested "wild places" I travel in. My 12 gauge model 870 with large buckshot spreads out too quickly as you indicated so IF I were carrying the 870 I'd have a couple of slugs in it with possibly one or two 00 rounds for follow up shots incase it got in close to me. I'd rather carry the 454...….63bkpkr
    AllenJ, Goldwasher and wildminer like this.
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

Mar 2016
    1747 times
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc053 View Post
    I thought I'd share an East Coast perspective. Here in New Jersey we live with frequent visits from black bears.

I really don't have a point to my post, other than to share a different perspective. Out here in the East I think the bears are less of a concern because they're more acclimated to living around humans.

- Brian

East Coast Bear Attack in news.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...a-bear-attack/
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Dec 15, 2018 at 07:53 PM.
    brianc053 likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1738 times
    Prospecting
    If a bear know you are near you will never see them. Your best defense is not a gun, its prevention. Me a noisy miner....sing talk whistle carry a radio, run your pump motor or get a yappy dog. A gun is your last resort, not because you should avoid shooting them but because if you surprise them, by the time you get it out and shoot they are already on you.
    ...An ounce of prevention is better than 300 grains of hail Mary
    Clay Diggins and 63bkpkr like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    10982 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaro View Post
    If a bear know you are near you will never see them. Your best defense is not a gun, its prevention. Me a noisy miner....sing talk whistle carry a radio, run your pump motor or get a yappy dog. A gun is your last resort, not because you should avoid shooting them but because if you surprise them, by the time you get it out and shoot they are already on you.
    ...An ounce of prevention is better than 300 grains of hail Mary
    I've had three bears mozy on over towards camp just to see what was going on. As mentioned they were chased off with noise and throwing of something.

Pretty sure they knew we were there.

I also think that repetitve noise in the woods will attract a cat...cause well they're cats.

The skunklion stalked me and snuck right up using the creek for cover. It ran into the brush when it felt like I had seen it. Didn't run far. Me popping off two rounds into the tailings pile it was on chased it off.

many ounces of prevention and I'm still bringing my gun
    wildminer likes this.

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1261 times
    If you want to attract bears, try hot bacon grease. They'll be on you as soon as they get a wiff.

Might be a good way to keep them busy! A can of that in a tree a few miles away.
    wildminer and 63bkpkr like this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2
    31517 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    If you want to attract bears, try hot bacon grease. They'll be on you as soon as they get a wiff.

Might be a good way to keep them busy! A can of that in a tree a few miles away.
    An old man once told me if you light a match and put it out on raw bacon mice will appear.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - AKA -" TNet Under Ground " http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

us
    Ed

Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Whites m6 Garrett ATPro
    945 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    beef jerky, Or Donuts ...

When Game Commission sets up a Bear Cage Trap around here ,
    They use Donuts . I Never heard what Type, But AM Guessing Honey Glazed
    & maybe Sugar.
    or maybe Blue-BEAR-ry
    63bkpkr likes this.

MAGA

Dec 2015
    Oregon Coast
    700 times
    Prospecting
    Bacon was the bait of choice for many hunters in Oregon when it was legal to bait bears and hunt with dogs. The decline of mule deer populations in Oregon came about when hunting with dogs to hunt cougar was prohibited and has never recovered. The cougar population soared and the deer population declined If these two species do not fear or respect man in their territory they will naturally be more brazen. I have seen both in the wild in Oregon in daylight. One encounter with a sow and cub I had mentioned here before, had the wind in my favor as I was hunting up a timbered ridge in eastern Oregon with the wind in my favor when a sow silently was running full bore down the trail and hit the skids and ended up about 25 yds. in front of me. Her cub was following to close and ran into her then did a couple barrel roll summersaults down the hill off to the side. I got the .308 up and on her nose as she was reared up on her hind legs and hollered at her to git witch she did after maybe five seconds. I didn't no whether to laugh or check my drawers looking at that cub doing the barrel rolls. This all happened in the blink of an eye. Stay alert, you never know.
    et1955 and rodoconnor like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mine President, XPBC

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    571 times
    Prospecting
    I talked to a bear biologist years ago and he said the bait they used for getting the bears into the traps was to mix peanut butter and honey into a can of cheap sardines and to burn it on a sterno can.
    wildminer likes this.

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    3529 times
    Quote Originally Posted by N-Lionberger View Post
    I talked to a bear biologist years ago and he said the bait they used for getting the bears into the traps was to mix peanut butter and honey into a can of cheap sardines and to burn it on a sterno can.
    Witchcraft!?
    beekbuster and Clay Diggins like this.
    "There can be no self-government without self-discipline. There can be no self-government without self-control. There can be no liberty unless it is grounded in moral discipline and the ability to do what is right." ~ Dr. Alan Keyes

Liberty is the freedom to carry out God's will. In God We Trust.

if it flies, it dies

Jan 2015
    gpx 4500 sdc 2300
    1077 times
    ducks, bucks and gold
    yes theres not many dangerous encounters with animals here in california. if they hear you coming, chances are youll never know there was a bear, cat, snake, etc. they get out of the way. very stealthy critters. bang stick works great for those bears that cant figure out what you are and want a closer look. heat stroke, falling, drowning are much more real dangers
    Last edited by beekbuster; Dec 22, 2018 at 03:55 PM.
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    got the fever? dont scratch the itch.

bug

Jun 2008
    Nor Cal
    226 times
    Thats the California truth right there. Id say falling is the one I worry about most and got me a few times and some of my friends.
    Clay Diggins and beekbuster like this.

Mar 2016
    1747 times
    Couple years ago (out metal detecting) I came around a corner and was face to face with a large mountain lion. It layed its ears back and stood there for a few moments deciding if it wanted to tussle with my dog.
    It decided to walk away. 15’ is too close for comfort.
    wildminer likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links