Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Prospecting bench placers

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    ROCKING GOLD GRABBER MINI- BGT PROSPECTOR- ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- MILLER TABLE, MULTIPLE SUCKER TUBES, VARIOUS HAND TOOLS, PANS AND CLASSIFERS, FORS GOLD PLUS, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER- DIY ROD MILL
    3025 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by spillercanyon View Post
    Hey Kevin,

I see the post has been removed but I did read it before it was removed and I don't think you mentioned tunneling as another way bench placers are mined. There are a number of mines in the Tuolumne area that tunneled down through the cobbles to bedrock and then fan out along bedrock. Not the safest mining but it is done.
    Drift mining was very common.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

Nov 2017
    142 times
    I see the post nazis got your link, where can I find it?

us
    captain

Dec 2016
    ohio
    bounty hunter time ranger
    112 times
    Hey Kevinincolorado. Do you know how hard it is to intentionally misspell things.
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us
    www.FindingGOLDinColorado.com

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer, Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper highbanker, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10199 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Audozer View Post
    I see the post nazis got your link, where can I find it?
    PM sent, thanks for asking!

us
    www.FindingGOLDinColorado.com

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer, Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper highbanker, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10199 times
    Prospecting

Prospecting bench placers

Quote Originally Posted by spillercanyon View Post
    Hey Kevin,

I see the post has been removed but I did read it before it was removed and I don't think you mentioned tunneling as another way bench placers are mined. There are a number of mines in the Tuolumne area that tunneled down through the cobbles to bedrock and then fan out along bedrock. Not the safest mining but it is done.
    Good point! There was quite a bit of drift mining done on a bench Placer just south of where I used to live. I left it out because I didnít want to have to go though all the safety issues associated with burrowing into a hillside that way. I know of two people in Colorado who have did by digging coyote holes into a bench Placer as they followed a pay layer. Yikes!

Hmm, now that Iíve written this, I feel like I have to add a caution to the article. Thanks for getting me there. This is why I like to share my articles here...always a fresh thought or suggestion. Shame Iím not allowed now that I have a book for sale and such. Ah well, PM if you want a link or other ways to see notifications about my stuff. Peace and ďfind YOUR gold!Ē

Edit: Update done. Thanks again.
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Dec 06, 2018 at 11:27 PM.

us
    Feb 2018
    Western Massachusetts
    51 times
    Prospecting
    Why is it called a "bench"?

Also, there is a place near where I live that kind of fits the description, only when the river is VERY high it is shallowly submerged. I have found gold near there, would this be a place that might have old gold? Or would I have to dig the 20+- feet down to bedrock to find anything?

us
    Jan 2012
    California
    456 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    Good point! There was quite a bit of drift mining done on a bench Placer just south of where I used to live. I left it out because I didn’t want to have to go though all the safety issues associated with burrowing into a hillside that way. I know of two people in Colorado who have did by digging coyote holes into a bench Placer as they followed a pay layer. Yikes!
    Not the first time I have provided too much information. It took 20 years but my previous boss figured out not to as me my opinion unless he wanted a very honest, thorough opinion. Love what you're doing out there Kevin, look forward to seeing some more.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2602 times
    Prospecting
    [QUOTE=RTD-Tech;6014152]Why is it called a "bench"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bench_(geology). A bench may have remnants of an ancient river channel that is possibly gold bearing (a placer) on it. Look high for river rounded rocks that are out of place. Drainages that cut through the ancient channels may also be gold bearing.
    Last edited by arizau; Dec 08, 2018 at 03:10 PM.
    et1955 and KevinInColorado like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Jul 2012
    Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
    Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
    2438 times
    Loved the article! I just wish my favorite stomping grounds in the high country had not fallen prey to glaciers, which scrubbed away any such bench placers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links