Prospecting bench placers

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

RTD-Tech

Feb 3, 2018
Western Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why is it called a "bench"?

Also, there is a place near where I live that kind of fits the description, only when the river is VERY high it is shallowly submerged. I have found gold near there, would this be a place that might have old gold? Or would I have to dig the 20+- feet down to bedrock to find anything?

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good point! There was quite a bit of drift mining done on a bench Placer just south of where I used to live. I left it out because I didn’t want to have to go though all the safety issues associated with burrowing into a hillside that way. I know of two people in Colorado who have did by digging coyote holes into a bench Placer as they followed a pay layer. Yikes!

Not the first time I have provided too much information. It took 20 years but my previous boss figured out not to as me my opinion unless he wanted a very honest, thorough opinion. Love what you're doing out there Kevin, look forward to seeing some more.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loved the article! I just wish my favorite stomping grounds in the high country had not fallen prey to glaciers, which scrubbed away any such bench placers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions