Prospecting bench placers

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed reading your article it was informative. I have always had an interest in prospecting as I grew up in Julian Ca. and it has a rich mining history but when I was a kid it didn't hit me, it wasn't until I moved away that the interest grew. Living in the central valley of California now below the Sierra's and now the bug has me.I found a tertiary river over west of I-5 and it is over 70 miles from the Sierra's so I have pretty much wrote it off but am still going to check it out.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great article but is hydraulic spelled with a c or k at the end ?

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great article but is hydraulic spelled with a c or k at the end ?

Good question. Hydraulic mining is called “hydrauliking” with a K! Weird I know 🤔

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, Tried to order a Garett super sluice pan and no product shows up on the screen when I click it. :dontknow:

Weird. It works for me. Thanks for trying. Maybe give it one more try?

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a MUCH smaller bench than what Kevin is showing. I have been working it off and on the past couple of years. I found it from a single round cobble on the side of the hill (winter prospecting). I traced it uphill by trenching through the overburden until I hit it's source. Here there is two feet of black dirt and angular rocks that contains little gold. I pile this material up and use it for reclamation of my hole behind me. Below the black dirt is about three feet of brown river cobble mixed with angular rock and large bedrock sections that contains decent gold.

Attachments

• BenchNet.jpg
    BenchNet.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 131

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ease man it's like mime dumps.[emoji55]

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dream is to prospect!!!Good Article really liked it

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is another look at the bench I am working:

The first picture shows some large blocks on bedrock that had a few inches of cobbles between them. This was all covered with another foot or so of brown pay dirt and then two feet of black soil on top.
attachment.php

This second picture is a look on bedrock.
attachment.php

The third picture is a days worth of the spoils.
attachment.php

Attachments

• bench2.jpg
    bench2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
  • bench3.jpg
    bench3.jpg
    964.5 KB · Views: 100
  • bench4.jpg
    bench4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Kevin,

I see the post has been removed but I did read it before it was removed and I don't think you mentioned tunneling as another way bench placers are mined. There are a number of mines in the Tuolumne area that tunneled down through the cobbles to bedrock and then fan out along bedrock. Not the safest mining but it is done.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Kevin,

I see the post has been removed but I did read it before it was removed and I don't think you mentioned tunneling as another way bench placers are mined. There are a number of mines in the Tuolumne area that tunneled down through the cobbles to bedrock and then fan out along bedrock. Not the safest mining but it is done.
Drift mining was very common.

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Kevinincolorado. Do you know how hard it is to intentionally misspell things.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Kevin,

Good point! There was quite a bit of drift mining done on a bench Placer just south of where I used to live. I left it out because I didn’t want to have to go though all the safety issues associated with burrowing into a hillside that way. I know of two people in Colorado who have did by digging coyote holes into a bench Placer as they followed a pay layer. Yikes!

Hmm, now that I’ve written this, I feel like I have to add a caution to the article. Thanks for getting me there. This is why I like to share my articles here...always a fresh thought or suggestion. Shame I’m not allowed now that I have a book for sale and such. Ah well, PM if you want a link or other ways to see notifications about my stuff. Peace and “find YOUR gold!”

Edit: Update done. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread