Contrary Creek, VA- First Gold Prospecting Trip

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again everyone!!

I took my first trip to Contrary Creek in Virginia today. I must say I have been bitten by the gold bug. Gold panning is not as easy, and gold is certainly not as plentiful as I had expected. I do believe I found one gold flake after searching today amidst millions of pieces of pyrite. Thank you for looking, can anyone confirm this as gold from my image taken through my microscope? Thanks for looking and being so welcoming here.

Blessings,
Ethan Annis

BED42686-BD38-4B0E-9DD2-E85E210E86C4.png 4334B3A1-931D-4FB0-AA60-C36ED67EF7EC.png B280BB29-63C2-4A2E-A328-32311A8B4551.jpeg

Upvote 0

Darth Placer

Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got a 16x36 long abs sluice from Carolina Prospectors. Think they still sell it... works great on its own... I use it mostly to clean up my dredge cons butted up to the end of my dredge.

On a really bad day it's my emergency plan "B" when the day comes my equipment fails. It's really light for long hauls and can #2 shovel full sized scoops. At the end of the day it's how much material you can process.

They work in fast flowing water just as well.

Wish I had that one when I started.

OP
OP
E

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a 16x36 long abs sluice from Carolina Prospectors. Think they still sell it... works great on its own... I use it mostly to clean up my dredge cons butted up to the end of my dredge.

On a really bad day it's my emergency plan "B" when the day comes my equipment fails. It's really light for long hauls and can #2 shovel full sized scoops. At the end of the day it's how much material you can process.

They work in fast flowing water just as well.

Wish I had that one when I started.

That’s really interesting I’ll have to check that one out!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool that's gotta be exciting I love that picture gives me gold fever

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eannis6. Contrary is a great place to start out and meet other people who prospect.

It's were I started and met my prospecting buddies back in 2014. There is good gold there it just takes research and hard work to find where it is running.

Also check out the Central Virginia Gold Prospectors club, CVGP for short. They are based in dillwyn Virginia and lease a number of gold bearing properties. There sign up meeting for 2019 will be in mid February. Also check out Virginia Gold Prospectors on Facebook.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again everyone!!

I took my first trip to Contrary Creek in Virginia today. I must say I have been bitten by the gold bug. Gold panning is not as easy, and gold is certainly not as plentiful as I had expected. I do believe I found one gold flake after searching today amidst millions of pieces of pyrite. Thank you for looking, can anyone confirm this as gold from my image taken through my microscope? Thanks for looking and being so welcoming here.

Blessings,
Ethan Annis

View attachment 1656789 View attachment 1656790 View attachment 1656791

Keep the faith .Dont give up the ship.Some of 'Contrary's' finest :) >> :occasion14: 022.JPG

Darth Placer

Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I second what Mgumby said .... CVGP is a great club to be a member in.... tons of property choices ... really nice gold. My bad for not mentioning it before.

OP
OP
E

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eannis6. Contrary is a great place to start out and meet other people who prospect.

It's were I started and met my prospecting buddies back in 2014. There is good gold there it just takes research and hard work to find where it is running.

Also check out the Central Virginia Gold Prospectors club, CVGP for short. They are based in dillwyn Virginia and lease a number of gold bearing properties. There sign up meeting for 2019 will be in mid February. Also check out Virginia Gold Prospectors on Facebook.

That is so awesome, thanks for the tips!!! :)

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep the faith .Dont give up the ship.Some of 'Contrary's' finest :) >> :occasion14:

Here's some more of Contrary's finest, from an August 2016 dredging trip (with Darth Placer by the way):
DzJpsFV.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread