Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Contrary Creek, VA- First Gold Prospecting Trip

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2018
    49 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Sure looks like gold! Nice job. That place is a hard place to go to. Were you in one of the spots that smells like sulphur in the air?

Thanks a lot! Actually I did not smell much, it was raining which masked any smells though! XD
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Nov 2018
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Placer View Post
    Hi eannis6... yes that is a speck of gold you found. When you look at it under the scope you should see some micro pitting on the surface. There is no mica there... tons of pyrite depending on the section your in. The pyrite will have one or more straight lines... more cubic in shape.... the gold wont.

Please fill in any holes you make down there.
    Thanks for the help! I sure will. Also I love the name lol
    Kray Gelder and Darth Placer like this.

us
    Jan 2015
    Morris County, NJ
    White's MXT White's Prism II
    423 times
    Gold Prospecting + Metal Detecting
    Hi eannis6... yes that is a speck of gold you found. When you look at it under the scope you should see some micro pitting on the surface. There is no mica there... tons of pyrite depending on the section your in. The pyrite will have one or more straight lines... more cubic in shape.... the gold wont.

Please fill in any holes you make down there.
    Hey eannis6, Darth is a great guy and spends time down in VA - listen to what he has to say. Iíve spent time with him down there, and he knows what heís doing.

Darth, good to see you on tnet. I miss our dredging trips and really want to get out more in 2019. Letís keep in touch.
    - Brian

us
    Mar 2013
    46 times
    Prospecting
    Hey Brian... yeah it's been a horrible season for me only got out for one trip down in NC (group outing for another site)... found one speck <----- that was my whole season.

Between weather and work I haven't had a shot at getting out. New job now with better hours... next season will be good. Hope you and Andrew can come along.

I miss dredging at CC .... when I was heading out last year I drove the atv through a deep hole that someone didn't fill in... missed it in the glare of the setting sun. Came an inch from flooding the snorkel.... that was my parting memory. Hence my comment.

eannis6 all I can say is it's there you just have to work for it.. hone your skills.
    Get in them crevices... natures sluice box holds the best stuff. If you get a sluice next .. get a ABS drop riffle sluice... they don't need much water flow to run... in the warmer months at times the water runs backwards at CC, a traditional sluice won't cut it.
    KevinInColorado likes this.

Nov 2018
    49 times
    Hey Brian... yeah it's been a horrible season for me only got out for one trip down in NC (group outing for another site)... found one speck <----- that was my whole season.

Between weather and work I haven't had a shot at getting out. New job now with better hours... next season will be good. Hope you and Andrew can come along.

I miss dredging at CC .... when I was heading out last year I drove the atv through a deep hole that someone didn't fill in... missed it in the glare of the setting sun. Came an inch from flooding the snorkel.... that was my parting memory. Hence my comment.

eannis6 all I can say is it's there you just have to work for it.. hone your skills.
    Get in them crevices... natures sluice box holds the best stuff. If you get a sluice next .. get a ABS drop riffle sluice... they don't need much water flow to run... in the warmer months at times the water runs backwards at CC, a traditional sluice won't cut it.
    Thatís aweosme, thanks for the advice!!

us
    Mar 2013
    46 times
    Prospecting
    I got a 16x36 long abs sluice from Carolina Prospectors. Think they still sell it... works great on its own... I use it mostly to clean up my dredge cons butted up to the end of my dredge.

On a really bad day it's my emergency plan "B" when the day comes my equipment fails. It's really light for long hauls and can #2 shovel full sized scoops. At the end of the day it's how much material you can process.

They work in fast flowing water just as well.

Wish I had that one when I started.

Nov 2018
    49 times
    I got a 16x36 long abs sluice from Carolina Prospectors. Think they still sell it... works great on its own... I use it mostly to clean up my dredge cons butted up to the end of my dredge.

On a really bad day it's my emergency plan "B" when the day comes my equipment fails. It's really light for long hauls and can #2 shovel full sized scoops. At the end of the day it's how much material you can process.

They work in fast flowing water just as well.

Wish I had that one when I started.
    Thatís really interesting Iíll have to check that one out!

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    16721 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Really cool that's gotta be exciting I love that picture gives me gold fever
    eannis6 likes this.
    Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $4.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.50 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Nov 2018
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    Really cool that's gotta be exciting I love that picture gives me gold fever

Thanks A2, Iíve got the fever now too!
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jun 2014
    East Coast
    159 times
    Prospecting
    Eannis6. Contrary is a great place to start out and meet other people who prospect.

It's were I started and met my prospecting buddies back in 2014. There is good gold there it just takes research and hard work to find where it is running.

Also check out the Central Virginia Gold Prospectors club, CVGP for short. They are based in dillwyn Virginia and lease a number of gold bearing properties. There sign up meeting for 2019 will be in mid February. Also check out Virginia Gold Prospectors on Facebook.
    Darth Placer, A2coins and eannis6 like this.

RTR
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20
    7843 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eannis6 View Post
    Hello again everyone!!

I took my first trip to Contrary Creek in Virginia today. I must say I have been bitten by the gold bug. Gold panning is not as easy, and gold is certainly not as plentiful as I had expected. I do believe I found one gold flake after searching today amidst millions of pieces of pyrite. Thank you for looking, can anyone confirm this as gold from my image taken through my microscope? Thanks for looking and being so welcoming here.

Blessings,
    Ethan Annis

Attachment 1656789Attachment 1656790Attachment 1656791
    Keep the faith .Dont give up the ship.Some of 'Contrary's' finest >> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	022.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	1660588
    arizau, A2coins and eannis6 like this.

us
    Mar 2013
    46 times
    Prospecting
    I second what Mgumby said .... CVGP is a great club to be a member in.... tons of property choices ... really nice gold. My bad for not mentioning it before.
    A2coins and eannis6 like this.

Nov 2018
    49 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgumby16 View Post
    Eannis6. Contrary is a great place to start out and meet other people who prospect.

It's were I started and met my prospecting buddies back in 2014. There is good gold there it just takes research and hard work to find where it is running.

Also check out the Central Virginia Gold Prospectors club, CVGP for short. They are based in dillwyn Virginia and lease a number of gold bearing properties. There sign up meeting for 2019 will be in mid February. Also check out Virginia Gold Prospectors on Facebook.
    That is so awesome, thanks for the tips!!!

us
    Jan 2015
    Morris County, NJ
    White's MXT White's Prism II
    423 times
    Gold Prospecting + Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    Keep the faith .Dont give up the ship.Some of 'Contrary's' finest >>
    Here's some more of Contrary's finest, from an August 2016 dredging trip (with Darth Placer by the way):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DzJpsFV.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	524.8 KB 
ID:	1663848
    RTR and Darth Placer like this.

RTR
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20
    7843 times
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc053 View Post
    Here's some more of Contrary's finest, from an August 2016 dredging trip (with Darth Placer by the way):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DzJpsFV.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	524.8 KB 
ID:	1663848
    Great,now your talking !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links