Contrary Creek, VA- First Gold Prospecting Trip

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again everyone!!

I took my first trip to Contrary Creek in Virginia today. I must say I have been bitten by the gold bug. Gold panning is not as easy, and gold is certainly not as plentiful as I had expected. I do believe I found one gold flake after searching today amidst millions of pieces of pyrite. Thank you for looking, can anyone confirm this as gold from my image taken through my microscope? Thanks for looking and being so welcoming here.

Blessings,
Ethan Annis

BED42686-BD38-4B0E-9DD2-E85E210E86C4.png 4334B3A1-931D-4FB0-AA60-C36ED67EF7EC.png B280BB29-63C2-4A2E-A328-32311A8B4551.jpeg

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Do a streak test on the back of a piece of unglazed tile and hopefully you'll see a gold line from your effort. poke it with a pin and see if it wont crack apart when poked. It looks good to me as-is !

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like gold.Don't give up on Contrary . How far downstream from the bridge did you make it ? :occasion14:

Last edited:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say it is gold. It has that rounded/eroded look. You may have noticed how it acted differently than the pyrite in your pan.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See how it reacts while under your scope, a two handed situation, one hand with something to hold it down and another pointed thing to see what happens when you try to drag the pointed item across your sample. IF the pointed thing creates a line with raised edges then likely gold but if the sample breaks up into pieces then likely not gold. The color and shape look good. Welcome to Tnet..…………….63bkpkr

OP
OP
E

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a streak test on the back of a piece of unglazed tile and hopefully you'll see a gold line from your effort. poke it with a pin and see if it wont crack apart when poked. It looks good to me as-is !

I will try this, thanks for the help!! :D

OP
OP
E

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like gold.Don't give up on Contrary . How far downstream from the bridge did you make it ? :occasion14:

Thanks a lot! I was with my cousin who did not have waders like me, so we only made it I’d say 150 yds from the bridge or so! I found this flake in a hole about a foot deep :)

OP
OP
E

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say it is gold. It has that rounded/eroded look. You may have noticed how it acted differently than the pyrite in your pan.

Thanks for the help- this was my thought as well...the pyrite has extremely rough angular edges under the microscope, and this flake maintains its shine even when there is no direct light. :)

OP
OP
E

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See how it reacts while under your scope, a two handed situation, one hand with something to hold it down and another pointed thing to see what happens when you try to drag the pointed item across your sample. IF the pointed thing creates a line with raised edges then likely gold but if the sample breaks up into pieces then likely not gold. The color and shape look good. Welcome to Tnet..…………….63bkpkr

Neat, I’ll give it a try, thanks for the help!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot! I was with my cousin who did not have waders like me, so we only made it I’d say 150 yds from the bridge or so! I found this flake in a hole about a foot deep :)

Thats cool ! Looks like that one pix. was taken under the bridge.

OP
OP
E

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats cool ! Looks like that one pix. was taken under the bridge.

I think it was, after panning, we explored the creek and I found a small slightly broken arrowhead!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was, after panning, we explored the creek and I found a small slightly broken arrowhead!

Lets hook up sometime.I'm ready for a Contrary run.Drop me a PM :).......I'm just finishing up a Miller table build.

OP
OP
E

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets hook up sometime.I'm ready for a Contrary run.Drop me a PM :).......I'm just finishing up a Miller table build.

That sounds really great!! We will have to do that sometime!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like gold! Nice job. That place is a hard place to go to. Were you in one of the spots that smells like sulphur in the air?

Darth Placer

Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi eannis6... yes that is a speck of gold you found. When you look at it under the scope you should see some micro pitting on the surface. There is no mica there... tons of pyrite depending on the section your in. The pyrite will have one or more straight lines... more cubic in shape.... the gold wont.

Please fill in any holes you make down there.

OP
OP
E

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like gold! Nice job. That place is a hard place to go to. Were you in one of the spots that smells like sulphur in the air?

Thanks a lot! :) Actually I did not smell much, it was raining which masked any smells though! XD

OP
OP
E

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi eannis6... yes that is a speck of gold you found. When you look at it under the scope you should see some micro pitting on the surface. There is no mica there... tons of pyrite depending on the section your in. The pyrite will have one or more straight lines... more cubic in shape.... the gold wont.

Thanks for the help! I sure will. Also I love the name lol

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey eannis6, Darth is a great guy and spends time down in VA - listen to what he has to say. I’ve spent time with him down there, and he knows what he’s doing.

Darth, good to see you on tnet. I miss our dredging trips and really want to get out more in 2019. Let’s keep in touch.
- Brian

Darth Placer

Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Brian... yeah it's been a horrible season for me only got out for one trip down in NC (group outing for another site)... found one speck <----- that was my whole season.

Between weather and work I haven't had a shot at getting out. New job now with better hours... next season will be good. Hope you and Andrew can come along.

I miss dredging at CC .... when I was heading out last year I drove the atv through a deep hole that someone didn't fill in... missed it in the glare of the setting sun. Came an inch from flooding the snorkel.... that was my parting memory. Hence my comment.

eannis6 all I can say is it's there you just have to work for it.. hone your skills.
Get in them crevices... natures sluice box holds the best stuff. If you get a sluice next .. get a ABS drop riffle sluice... they don't need much water flow to run... in the warmer months at times the water runs backwards at CC, a traditional sluice won't cut it.

OP
OP
E

eannis6

Nov 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Brian... yeah it's been a horrible season for me only got out for one trip down in NC (group outing for another site)... found one speck <----- that was my whole season.

Between weather and work I haven't had a shot at getting out. New job now with better hours... next season will be good. Hope you and Andrew can come along.

I miss dredging at CC .... when I was heading out last year I drove the atv through a deep hole that someone didn't fill in... missed it in the glare of the setting sun. Came an inch from flooding the snorkel.... that was my parting memory. Hence my comment.

eannis6 all I can say is it's there you just have to work for it.. hone your skills.
Get in them crevices... natures sluice box holds the best stuff. If you get a sluice next .. get a ABS drop riffle sluice... they don't need much water flow to run... in the warmer months at times the water runs backwards at CC, a traditional sluice won't cut it.

That’s aweosme, thanks for the advice!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread