Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Seeking advice and knowledge

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2018
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Seeking advice and knowledge

Hello gentlemen -

I just started my search for gold. Its been something ive wanted to do for a while and ive finally pulled the trigger. Literally like 3 days ago i purchased my first set of pans. I live in north georgia. Forsyth county to be more precise. Right along the etowah. Im 2 miles away from the old Franklin-Crieghton mine. On my property i have a small stream that eventually runs into Settingdown Creek. Ive started digging in the most active portion of the stream i have access to. The stream bed is littered with quartz. I can see a few places of exposed bedrock as well. The place ive started with im maybe just a footdown and ive started digging up clay - is clay a good sign or should i move? So far ive panned through close to two buckets of classified material. Ive found a few flakes but mostly flour gold. I have alot of fine gold specks in my pan. My question is - finding flour gold should i move upstream? Or keep digging deeper? What should i look for to find the bigger peices of gold. I dont know much about gold recovery yet but im guessing the flour gold has to be coming from bigger peices right? Any tips or advice on what i should look for would be great.

Dec 2018
    9 times
    Also - im saving all of my black sand until i get something to sort it. Do you guys think the martin table is worth the money or should i just get a blue bowl?
    mytimetoshine likes this.

us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
    3441 times
    You just need to find old Mr Pocket.
    buck8point and trdking like this.
    “During the gold rush its a good time to be in the pick and shovel business.” Mark Twain

Dec 2018
    9 times
    We are all searching for Mr. Pocket arent we? Ha.
    trdking likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    11214 times
    I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard GAGoldNoob! Take a look at Forum:Georgia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

.:: Rules and Guidelines ::.
    .:: You must be a Charter Member to sell on Treasure Net (Forum: Charter Member Classifieds) ::.

RTR
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20
    7122 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagoldnoob View Post
    Also - im saving all of my black sand until i get something to sort it. Do you guys think the martin table is worth the money or should i just get a blue bowl?
    Blue bowls work but their slow. Just finished building this(20x44) Miller a few days ago and loving it Good luck,sounds like you have a good spot there. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	1658264
    Good all the way down to minus 150 mesh Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	1658266
    Last edited by RTR; Dec 07, 2018 at 05:09 AM.
    Simon1 and Oddjob like this.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2597 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagoldnoob View Post
    Hello gentlemen -

I just started my search for gold. Its been something ive wanted to do for a while and ive finally pulled the trigger. Literally like 3 days ago i purchased my first set of pans. I live in north georgia. Forsyth county to be more precise. Right along the etowah. Im 2 miles away from the old Franklin-Crieghton mine. On my property i have a small stream that eventually runs into Settingdown Creek. Ive started digging in the most active portion of the stream i have access to. The stream bed is littered with quartz. I can see a few places of exposed bedrock as well. The place ive started with im maybe just a footdown and ive started digging up clay - is clay a good sign or should i move? So far ive panned through close to two buckets of classified material. Ive found a few flakes but mostly flour gold. I have alot of fine gold specks in my pan. My question is - finding flour gold should i move upstream? Or keep digging deeper? What should i look for to find the bigger peices of gold. I dont know much about gold recovery yet but im guessing the flour gold has to be coming from bigger peices right? Any tips or advice on what i should look for would be great.
    If you were finding gold above a clay layer then it was likely acting as false bedrock and a pay layer formed on it. If you were to punch through it there may be another layer of sand and gravel but it may or may not contain gold. Only testing will tell. Logic tells me that prospecting in spots that have current bed rock exposed will probably yield bigger pieces and more gold because there are more drops, crevices and natural riffles for it to collect in than a smooth clay layer.

Fine gold is not necessarily an indication that the gold has eroded in size since most original lode deposits worldwide consist mainly of gold of small to tiny to invisible to the naked eye sizes. If the gold you are finding is from the source vein of the nearby mine then what you are now finding may just be the nature of the beast.

Find yourself a set of small (4 or 6") classifier screens with sizes of about 30, 50 and 100 mesh and you will make your life much easier to recover your gold from concentrates. Pan the screened batches separately. Gold is relatively easy to pan when it's only competition in a pan is with like sized material.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

PS Look for indications of other creek channels on your property. Rounded rocks on the surface usually mean that an ancient stream crossed in that area. Digging them may be productive too as well as drainages that lead to the creek.
    Last edited by arizau; Dec 07, 2018 at 09:35 AM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Dec 2018
    9 times
    Great input arizau thank you! I was just about to ask about mesh!

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    ROCKING GOLD GRABBER MINI- BGT PROSPECTOR- ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- MILLER TABLE, MULTIPLE SUCKER TUBES, VARIOUS HAND TOOLS, PANS AND CLASSIFERS, FORS GOLD PLUS, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER- DIY ROD MILL
    3025 times
    Don't waste your time with a miller table. Get a blue bowl. Clay is a good sign and usually will hold gold as well as bedrock does. Classifiers are a must, for final cleanups.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    20181 times
    Metal Detecting
    Can I just add, don't rush out and start buying expensive equipment!!!!!

Stick with a shovel, classifier, bucket, and pan until you find a spot that is producing. Test, Test, Test! When you have some gold in your poke THEN think about a dredge, highbanker, and blue bowl. Good Luck!

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1717 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mytimetoshine View Post
    Don't waste your time with a miller table. Get a blue bowl. Clay is a good sign and usually will hold gold as well as bedrock does. Classifiers are a must, for final cleanups.
    I would disagree about the blue bowl vs. the miller style table. Proper feed and watering of the table will produce the same result as the bowl but many times faster. Careful classification is critical for either
    RTR, arizau, Underburden and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2008
    Fort Dick, Ca.
    911 times
    I agree with what Terry said. Start with basic tools and learn where to find gold. Keep your very fine concentrates for later processing as you become more proficient as it come to you quickly. Faster and more elaborate equipment can always be had when needed.

Mike

Dec 2018
    9 times
    So i moved spots today... upstream and on the bank where i think the stream wouldve been 100-200 years ago... and my first pan is ****ing nuts....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181207_235826.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	1658572  

us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
    3441 times
    Try the inside bank of the closest bend
    “During the gold rush its a good time to be in the pick and shovel business.” Mark Twain

Dec 2018
    9 times
    Will a sluice catch all of this very fine flour gold?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links