Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: questions, maybe some answers?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    bug

Jun 2008
    Nor Cal
    271 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    after the roast it, shake in salt and vinegar solution. That works good on the bigger stuff and looks like eye candy when your done.
    et1955 and Laz7777 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    762 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by bug View Post
    after the roast it, shake in salt and vinegar solution. That works good on the bigger stuff and looks like eye candy when your done.
    Great Info, thanks

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1800 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    Any of you guys ever use the bake potato method, cut a potato in half then hollow out an area for the merc gold, then put it back together and wrap it in foil and throw it onto a campfire. The mercury vaporizes into the potato and leaves clean gold, later you can pan out the potato to retrieve the mercury.
    The potato bullshit is an example of what you should never do.
    The pioneer miners used this method because that was the best technology they had a century ago. We are modern miners and have plenty of cheap and easy ways to remove HG that wont result in an accidental poisoning or hazmat cleanup.
    Learn how to use Nitric or buy a retort. If you cant manage to do it responsibly then do us all a favor and find a new pastime.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11370 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    shoot I don't even bother using a potato.

cast iron mini baking pan... fire.. come back next morning yellow gold
    et1955 likes this.

Apr 2014
    Tartarus Dorsa mountains
    818 times
    Stayin' alive :D
    Price of gold is for pure gold. Other than that it is based on purity as a percentage of the pure price MINUS the cost to clean it up.

The question is would it cost (time trouble, expenses) you more than your sale differential to clean it up yourself?
    Last edited by ConceptualizedNetherlandr; Dec 22, 2018 at 10:57 PM.
    et1955 likes this.
    Improving the world, one post at a time

Mar 2016
    2178 times
    Sounds like the buyer has enough gold and they are only willing to buy at a low price.
    I’d clean up and find a different buyer.
    Gravelwasher likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11370 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    selling to a gold buyer is silly. they will give you as little as possible.

save it and send it to a refiner.

put it in paydirt and sell online

or find a direct buyer/collector that isn't going to try and resale it quickly.

ask at a prospecting shop if they know anyone who is buying. If you have enough its amazing how soon a guy in a big stetson with an awesome belt buckle and bill fold will show up ready to buy.

I would caution selling small amounts right now as it looks like its getting ready to be the time to dig as much as you can.

Gold seems to have bottomed and should be rising.
    Last edited by Goldwasher; Dec 24, 2018 at 10:50 AM.
    Clay Diggins, et1955, RTR and 2 others like this.

bug

Jun 2008
    Nor Cal
    271 times
    And dont try to sell it last minute when you desperately need $. Give yourself some time to find a good buyer. All of goldwashers suggestions are really good. You work way to hard for that gold and why let a buyer make an easy buck off your back.
    Last edited by bug; Dec 24, 2018 at 12:57 PM.

us
    Dec 2015
    South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
    GoldBug II
    489 times
    Prospecting
    well, problem solved...
    a very simple soolution: vinegar.
    you see, the merc had already been roasted off my gold, the buyer I have is playing games now, trying to force me and others to buy nitric from someone he's in partners with.
    it took a quart of vinegar to make 4.5 .ozt pretty, but it did the job and my buyer won't know the difference.
    thanks for all the suggestions.
    KevinInColorado likes this.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty or Safety.

Benjamin Franklin
    Pennsylvania Assembly, November 11, 1755

us
    Aug 2010
    Maine USA
    275 times

questions, maybe some answers?

Quote Originally Posted by Laz7777 View Post
    thanks for all the answers.
    I currently get 80% of spot, my buyer will give only 70% if the gold isn't pretty.
    I roast my gold over a small twig fire on the river and get rid of nearly all the merc, but a trace (his xrf doesn't see it) is left.
    he has a friend who has opened up a mining supply store, who is in partners with him to sell nitric. this guy is a ripoff...think like $6 for a vial, 250 for a no name sluice and you'll get what I'm saying.
    anyhow, I'm just going to buy a propane torch and make it pretty foor him, he won't know the difference.
    Your buyer is sticking it to you. Most of the big refiners will pay 92 to 95% of spot even if the gold is dirty. Remember, they are refiners so they treat the gold with nitric and cupel it to get the lead out which is what their 5 to 8% margin is paying for. And I am talking 92 to 98% of actual gold values remaining after the gold is refined to 99.999%. Even if the gold looks perfectly clean, you/they never know the actual gold content until after the batch is refined. In addition, they will generally pay for around 80 to 85% of silver values coming out of the same batch. And similar take for palladium, platinum, rhodium etc. values in the same batch.
    Last edited by placertogo; Dec 31, 2018 at 12:34 PM.
    Laz7777, arizau and wildminer like this.

us
    Dec 2015
    GoldBug II
    489 times
    Prospecting
    yeah, he's just a middleman and he is playing games....
    I've found a few private buyers willing to pay 90%, but they don't usually want much, llike a few .dwt..
    I know there has to be a refiner in this area, just don't know who.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty or Safety.

Benjamin Franklin

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2766 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Laz7777 View Post
    yeah, he's just a middleman and he is playing games....
    I've found a few private buyers willing to pay 90%, but they don't usually want much, llike a few .dwt..
    I know there has to be a refiner in this area, just don't know who.
    I did a quick search and found "Bay Area Metals" in SF. Google for their website. From pictures shown on their website under the title "Our Mission" it looks like they may buy raw gold so it may warrant a call or email to them about your gold. I like the fact that you can watch the process they go through to smelt the gold, etc. You might look for others here. https://www.google.com/search?q=smel...hrome&ie=UTF-8.

Good luck
    Last edited by arizau; Dec 31, 2018 at 01:46 PM.
    wildminer and Laz7777 like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Dec 2015
    GoldBug II
    489 times
    Prospecting
    thnks arizau..SF is a trip for me, my buyer hs too use someonee closer, he's made trips and got cash for me in a few hours, from Grass Valley.

Benjamin Franklin

Mar 2016
    2178 times
    Kind of depends on what the gold looks like, where it was found, how much your selling.
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Apr 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
    1285 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodfish Mike View Post
    Hope your not grilling a steak tonight
    And I would be careful about using the pan for food any time soon.

Use a metal gold pan instead if you have one.
    Laz7777 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links