Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
my buyer is getting greedy.
for 7 years I've brought him gold that is slightly tainted with mercury...as in trace. my gold is clean, no black sand or extraneous matter, you couldn't get a grain out of the 4.5 .ozt in my pocket now.
but I do get discoloration.
this has always been no problem, up until now.
as of the new year, if I don't have my gold nice and shiny, I get a 10% hit!.

here's the kicker: he's saying I need to use nitric. the only shop in town carrrying it just happens to be his buddy down the road, and he admitted to me that he helped his buddy buy it.
I says the ****er is getting a kickback or two. I'd say this is what we'd call a "conflict of interest".

is there any other way of removing a trace of merc?
thought about a propane torch, any other suggestions?

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
my buyer is getting greedy.
for 7 years I've brought him gold that is slightly tainted with mercury...as in trace. my gold is clean, no black sand or extraneous matter, you couldn't get a grain out of the 4.5 .ozt in my pocket now.
but I do get discoloration.
this has always been no problem, up until now.
as of the new year, if I don't have my gold nice and shiny, I get a 10% hit!.

here's the kicker: he's saying I need to use nitric. the only shop in town carrrying it just happens to be his buddy down the road, and he admitted to me that he helped his buddy buy it.
I says the ****er is getting a kickback or two. I'd say this is what we'd call a "conflict of interest".

is there any other way of removing a trace of merc?
thought about a propane torch, any other suggestions?

It is not politically correct to say this but I will offer it anyway. Bake it in a pan on the bbq grill. 675 F is the magic temperature. Now I will crawl back in my Neanderthal cave.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
It is not politically correct to say this but I will offer it anyway. Bake it in a pan on the bbq grill. 675 F is the magic temperature. Now I will crawl back in my Neanderthal cave.

Hope your not grilling a steak tonight:laughing7:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dont need nothing but air to dry mercury. It's only stable in water. Set your pan in the sun and leave it for awhile, super easy. Your gold will remain mercury colored.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show us a picture and disclose your normal price. Maybe he’s already greedy and getting worse?
Gold spot prices awful low right now in my opinion.

As an experiment, place some contaminated gold in a metal spoon. Heat the bottom of the spoon with a torch.
The mercury will burn off...do it with a fan blowing the fumes away. They are deadly, so do this at your own risk. Otherwise buy a retort.

Rinse in jewelry cleaner and keep it away from your other gold and any used containers.
Should be (unnaturally) nice and shiny.

Last edited:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
is the nitric more or less than the 10%,and there are other buyers,
brad

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The mercury contaminates the gold it comes in contact with. It is a storage and refining issue for the buyer.

Nitric acid isn't an ideal "cleaner" but it will put the mercury into solution. The buyer will get gold of a higher purity.

Soaking your gold in warm Nitric acid isn't all that expensive but you will lose volume and have some appearance issues on the larger pieces. You can get nitric for about $60 for 2.5 Litres (2/3 gallon) plus $33 hazmat shipping fee. Make sure you avoid the high strength (70% +) "fuming" nitric acid. 50 or 60 percent solution is good enough for cleaning gold and it's safer to work with.

Maybe the buyer would be willing to up their price above what they were paying you previously if you clean your gold with nitric? It's either that, take the price hit or find another buyer. :dontknow:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's just slightly stained might use a dedicated stainless steel pot,
heat up over a propane cook stove away from camp and creek
shake to not clump together, if it gets over heated/ brownish
soak overnight in white vinegar, for a lot of mercury build a retort.

OP
OP
L

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks for all the answers.
I currently get 80% of spot, my buyer will give only 70% if the gold isn't pretty.
I roast my gold over a small twig fire on the river and get rid of nearly all the merc, but a trace (his xrf doesn't see it) is left.
he has a friend who has opened up a mining supply store, who is in partners with him to sell nitric. this guy is a ripoff...think like $6 for a vial, 250 for a no name sluice and you'll get what I'm saying.
anyhow, I'm just going to buy a propane torch and make it pretty foor him, he won't know the difference.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any of you guys ever use the bake potato method, cut a potato in half then hollow out an area for the merc gold, then put it back together and wrap it in foil and throw it onto a campfire. The mercury vaporizes into the potato and leaves clean gold, later you can pan out the potato to retrieve the mercury.

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after the roast it, shake in salt and vinegar solution. That works good on the bigger stuff and looks like eye candy when your done.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any of you guys ever use the bake potato method, cut a potato in half then hollow out an area for the merc gold, then put it back together and wrap it in foil and throw it onto a campfire. The mercury vaporizes into the potato and leaves clean gold, later you can pan out the potato to retrieve the mercury.

The potato bullshit is an example of what you should never do.
The pioneer miners used this method because that was the best technology they had a century ago. We are modern miners and have plenty of cheap and easy ways to remove HG that wont result in an accidental poisoning or hazmat cleanup.
Learn how to use Nitric or buy a retort. If you cant manage to do it responsibly then do us all a favor and find a new pastime.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shoot I don't even bother using a potato.

cast iron mini baking pan... fire.. come back next morning yellow gold

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Price of gold is for pure gold. Other than that it is based on purity as a percentage of the pure price MINUS the cost to clean it up.

The question is would it cost (time trouble, expenses) you more than your sale differential to clean it up yourself?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions