Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Does anyone else just bring gravel at home to find gold?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2018
    Central Valley California
    115 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Does anyone else just bring gravel at home to find gold?

After two months of prospecting I've come to the conclusion that if I want more gold, I'm better off just digging the dirt up to dump into my pickup to process later on. Once I've prospected and sampled an area and found a specific area with gold I just dig that area up. Does anyone else here do this? Panning/sluicing in location just seems to be a waste of precious outdoor time/cost of gas that could be used hauling more paydirt instead. Then once I'm at home I can just process it in my garage and not have to worry about the cold winter water anymore.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, White's TDI SL, Tesoro Tejon
    18371 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    There is gold at my house. No kidding. I sluice it in the creek and bring it home to pan in front of the TV or computer!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0438.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	1664624

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1846 times
    Prospecting
    I do that when I'm crevicing. I just load up all the bedrock and take it home in my subaru. It's easy to do while I'm in the bathtub and much warmer.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, White's TDI SL, Tesoro Tejon
    18371 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    No, on a chair in front of the TV or computer. That way the dirt goes outside and doesn't clog up the plumbing. Now at a hotel, well, that's a different story.

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Eagle Spectrum, Equinox 600, Carrot, LeTrap, Moby
    265 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    That's been my method, though I want to try some production panning this coming summer.

It's illegal to sluice here, so I had to find a way.

I go into a crick with five, 3 gallon buckets, a 3/8 sifter, and a half size d-ring shovel. Dig/sift the buckets almost full, and I'm done.....But I also have reasons.

The place I normally take my dirt is an old logging camp I've been detecting, It's just convenient to snatch some dirt, and it has gold.Then I can get back to detecting.

The 3 gallon buckets are to keep me from getting hurt, 5 gallon just weighed too much.

I want to try the production panning, in some spots because I've found larger amounts of gold in places where the crick has made quite a cut in the earth, and hauling a bucket of unprocessed dirt out, just seems stupid.
    beekbuster likes this.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1846 times
    Prospecting
    There is no drain to clog. I bathe in my panning tub! Another time saver!
    Pour in some Jet Dry and start scraping those cracks! Oops not that crack!
    Last edited by Johnnybravo300; Dec 29, 2018 at 05:43 PM.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2764 times
    Prospecting
    In case you are not aware of how to do production panning....."Production panning: Fill your pan and pan it down to less than half, add more material to that pan and repeat. You can continue to do this until you are in jeopardy of flushing out black sand and maybe fine particles of gold. When you reach that point empty the pan into a collection bucket to take home or further concentrate by carefully panning (just to reduce volume) at the end of the day. Start over again and again and......"
    Bottom line...Take concentrates home to make your garage cleanup easier especially if you were dealing with multiples of bucket loads.

Good luck
    Last edited by arizau; Dec 28, 2018 at 11:16 AM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Jan 2015
    8 times
    I'm in the desert so when checking out a new area I will dry pan to get down to cons, which doesn't take long. However I am more selective about where I get samples from than just scooping up a bunch of dirt.
    et1955, dredgernaut and beekbuster like this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Idaho
    Gold Hog Stream Sluice
    920 times
    Prospecting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tailing weeds.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	1664731
    BEWARE !
    I like winter mining on the Clearwater and bring paydirt home for processing in a warm, controlled environment. When I'm absolutely sure I've extracted all the gold, I use the tailings as fill material on one of the many trails on my property. Unfortunately, the tailings contain weed seed that germinate in the spring. As seen in the picture, sprouts of "Canadian Thistle" have emerged from the tailings. If left to grow, they would quickly multiply and spread throughout the property. Quick work with a shovel will remove them roots and all. Placed in a garbage bag, they will wither away and never be a problem again. If you leave a portion of a root in the ground, it will come back to haunt you in just a few weeks. Be aware of this potential problem if you bring concentrates home.
    Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
    Visit my Idaho Gold Prospecting Blog at Bedrock or Bust
    US Army Pacific 1969-1971
    2015 Stroke Survivor
    2016 Cancer Survivor
    2017 2nd Stroke Survivor
    2018 Pacemaker Recipient
    Every Day Is A Beautiful Day

Charter Member
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    8763 times
    Thats how I have done it for decades.Pan in the field until I find what I'm looking for.Classify it in the field to 1/4" .Bring home buckets of it to process further.

us
    Mike

Dec 2014
    Bodfish and Marin county CA
    Garrett , Whites keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
    918 times
    Drywashing , Sluicing , Panning
    Yup -- I have a full 5 gallon bucket of dry dirt classified to 1/4" that I know has gold in it.
    Been saving it to test stuff.
    Be careful what you bring home as I think I introduced scorpions to my garage.
    Cheers Mike
    Stay thirsty my friends

us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    665 times
    Prospecting
    I used to do that years ago, I don't anymore unless it is impossible to process on sight, I would rather carry out concentrates than raw dirt.

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Eagle Spectrum, Equinox 600, Carrot, LeTrap, Moby
    265 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    Quote Originally Posted by N-Lionberger View Post
    I used to do that years ago, I don't anymore unless it is impossible to process on sight, I would rather carry out concentrates than raw dirt.
    This is pretty much where I'm at here in Michigan. Finding the most efficient, legal way to concentrate my material in the field.

To do it raw, is simply too much work to be any fun.

Besides, I was more interested in being outside on the hoof, not in my garage or kitchen.
    Clay Diggins, et1955 and 63bkpkr like this.

us
    Aug 2014
    SoCal
    SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
    380 times
    Prospecting
    Nah, I have no desire to try and find a place to dump 2-4,000 lbs of dirt every week.

us
    Mar 2012
    Idaho
    Gold Hog Stream Sluice
    920 times
    Prospecting
    BITCOIN? I'd rather have Monopoly money.
    Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
    Visit my Idaho Gold Prospecting Blog at Bedrock or Bust
    US Army Pacific 1969-1971
    2015 Stroke Survivor
    2016 Cancer Survivor
    2017 2nd Stroke Survivor
    2018 Pacemaker Recipient
    Every Day Is A Beautiful Day

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links