Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: hydrofloric acid gold etching services in california?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    665 times
    Prospecting
    I have about a liter of the stuff. I used to work at a scientific glass company and we used HF to clean up glass that had been cut or ground. I was taught to work with the stuff without gloves or any kind of safety apparel as it was supposed to give a false sense of security that could lead to carelessness.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2763 times
    Prospecting
    Wow. I don't remember if MSHA checked our mine labs for safety but seems OSHA would have stricter standards than that.
    rodoconnor and beekbuster like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Mar 2016
    2160 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by N-Lionberger View Post
    I have about a liter of the stuff. I used to work at a scientific glass company and we used HF to clean up glass that had been cut or ground. I was taught to work with the stuff without gloves or any kind of safety apparel as it was supposed to give a false sense of security that could lead to carelessness.
    Wow! What year was this?
    That stuff is scary. Iíd be worried about someone else getting into it that does not know the extreme danger it presents. Hopefully you have it well labeled in case your not around when it happens.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    665 times
    Prospecting
    2012-13, I keep it in a fairly safe place, its triple bagged and boxed with very clear labeling. Its around 75% if I remember, the stuff we used on the glass was like 8% and it would dissolve the glass completely if you left it in long enough, we used it to etch off the rough surfaces left by grinding so it would be easily polished in the flame. Pretty scary stuff, I actually had a nightmare after aquiring my personal stock about spilling some on my arm and not being able to find any water or baking soda, all the faucets were dry it was terrible.

Mar 2016
    2160 times
    Quote Originally Posted by N-Lionberger View Post
    2012-13, I keep it in a fairly safe place, its triple bagged and boxed with very clear labeling. Its around 75% if I remember, the stuff we used on the glass was like 8% and it would dissolve the glass completely if you left it in long enough, we used it to etch off the rough surfaces left by grinding so it would be easily polished in the flame. Pretty scary stuff, I actually had a nightmare after aquiring my personal stock about spilling some on my arm and not being able to find any water or baking soda, all the faucets were dry it was terrible.
    You could always use powdered cement...I think.
    It’s scary like radiation exposure. I used to work with several radioactive sources, so I can probably handle a bathroom cleaning product.

There are videos on you tube of people literally pouring Wink Rust Remover (1%HF) into their bathtub and scrubbing it with brushes. Wash it down the drain and enjoy your clean bath tub!

How about those stubborn rust stains in the sink..clean them up with some HF and do your dishes or wash your face.

The best was a cleaning company sharing a tip, where they pour HF on the carpet to remove stains. Use a vacuum to suck it dry (while spreading it all over the carpet). Turn the kiddo’s loose to crawl around. I really don’t think it should be legal to sell over the counter at any concentration level.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jan 02, 2019 at 08:41 PM.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Mar 2016
    2160 times
    Straight 1% HF being used by a professional cleaning company.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut2koMAWuNg

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    ROCKING GOLD GRABBER MINI- BGT PROSPECTOR- ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- MILLER TABLE, MULTIPLE SUCKER TUBES, VARIOUS HAND TOOLS, PANS AND CLASSIFERS, FORS GOLD PLUS, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER- DIY ROD MILL
    3126 times
    Isn't this what Goldwasher does?.Surpised he hasn't chimed in yet
    Asmbandits and Goldwasher like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

Mar 2014
    NorCal
    Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
    2114 times
    Hydrofloric acid is a main chemical used in the automated touch less car wash industry, the ďsoapĒ consists of a acid pass, then a base pass. The acid is a diluted form of hf acid, Iíve read the label first hand and seen hf listed as an ingredient,and felt the burns on my skin when working on the washes. Also donít breath deep when doing a test wash... sounds crazy but itís the truth, Iíve been exposed to this stuff on a chronic level for years and have yet to have and long term affects that Iím aware of.

Iíve actual used it straight from the drum in a electrolysis cell to remove gold from electronic components.
    Come check out my California Mother lode Adventures!---->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4U...aqFXriPUONmEtw

Mar 2016
    2160 times
    So Whink Rust Remover is 1% -2.5% HF. It has an acute dermal toxicity rating of category 3.
    (Category 2 is fatal if contact with skin)
    Eye Damage is Category 1 (highest rating) permenant damage if it comes in contact with the eye. That’s skull and cross bones stuff. It will dissolve quartz and rust.

I just read where the auto cleaning industry uses <20% HF concentrate that they dilute for their wash. That stuff requires some serious respect. You don’t get away with a red rash that goes away if it gets on your skin. It painlessly burns to the bone. You may not notice it for a couple days. By then the damage has been done. Worst part is it sticks around inside you forever slowly messing with your insides.

If you spill it on your hands, they will likely have to remove some of your fingernails. Nightmare stuff.

Your palm of your hand (including fingers) is 1% of your body.
    >50% HF, 1% body burn is fatal.
    <50% (any concentration) HF, 5% body burn can be fatal according to what I’m reading.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jan 04, 2019 at 12:41 AM.

us

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    665 times
    Prospecting
    Friends of mine who have had trouble with the stuff were exposed by tiny little cracks n holes in their industrial grade elbow length chemical gloves. A trace of a drop will sink right through your tissue and upon contact with bone causes decalcification which can spread through joints. Exposed tissue turns black and blue and acts like it has been smacked with a hammer and nails fall off. Serious **** its one of the most hazardous substances a civilian can lay his hands on.

Mar 2014
    NorCal
    Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
    2114 times
    All this talk about bone deterioration has me spooked.. I've literally had my hands covered in the stuff, ususlly and 1-60 seconds before you start to feel the burn. A quick dab of the base chemical would usually neutralize it on contact. Ive inhaled it more than anything, adjusting chemical application and such. It would instantly make you choke. Sounds crazy but no one I worked for or with seemed like it s a big deal. I have since switched company's to one that uses a citrus based presoak. Good thing to know though if I start having health issues.
    Come check out my California Mother lode Adventures!---->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4U...aqFXriPUONmEtw

bug

Jun 2008
    Nor Cal
    269 times
    I remember handling a quartz specimen that wasnt properly neutralized after etching was done and noticed a burning sensation on my hand a few minutes later. Even though the guy washed it off good after the acid dip, there was obviously some residual down deep in the stone that slowly was still weeping out. So if your using the stuff, make sure you properly neutralize and wash that nasty stuff out.
    mytimetoshine and Asmbandits like this.

Mar 2016
    2160 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmbandits View Post
    All this talk about bone deterioration has me spooked.. I've literally had my hands covered in the stuff, ususlly and 1-60 seconds before you start to feel the burn. A quick dab of the base chemical would usually neutralize it on contact. Ive inhaled it more than anything, adjusting chemical application and such. It would instantly make you choke. Sounds crazy but no one I worked for or with seemed like it s a big deal. I have since switched company's to one that uses a citrus based presoak. Good thing to know though if I start having health issues.
    The HF in the ďpre-soakĒ was probably fairly dilluted (which doesnít make it any better).
    The danger with the diluted HF is that you donít feel the burn until then next day and by that time the damage is done. You were probably feeling the burn due to another type of acid that was mixed into the Pre-soak solution.

Iíd say you probably escaped injury and are lucky you are not working in an environment like that anymore.
    Asmbandits likes this.

if it flies, it dies

Jan 2015
    gpx 4500 sdc 2300
    1134 times
    ducks, bucks and gold
    what is the process to neutralize the specimen after its done soaking in wink? i have a couple nuggets with quartz that needs removed. would be a good way to get an idea of what to expect for the larger pieces.
    got the fever? dont scratch the itch.

Mar 2016
    2160 times
    Google HF Safety to get ideas on safety and handling.
    Not just any gloves will work. But I found everything I needed at Ace Hardware.
    Don’t lift the specimen up where it can fall back in the solution causing splashing.
    Have a clean place to work.

Think about pets and kids.
    Swallowing 1 oz. of 2% HF has been fatal.
    Nothing that looks like a drink!

When I did it last time I drained off the used acid each day and turned the specimen.
    If I were doing it again, I’d probably just add to it each day.
    It would be in a plastic container with a secure screw on lid.

The only time I’d be handling it would be to remove specimen using tongs or maybe fishing line to transfer it to the neutralizing solution.
    The lid could be secured to the acid container for safe transport for disposal.

https://www.honeywell-hfacid.com/doc...d=1%20onclick=
    Beware some of the chemicals used to neutralize HF can cause bad burns as well.

I’d let it soak for a few days while neautralizing the specimen.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jan 05, 2019 at 12:31 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links