Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: hydrofloric acid gold etching services in california?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2016
    2171 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    This guy used Whink without gloves (overlooked the skull and cross bones I guess).

https://www.doctorslounge.com/dermat...pic-46036.html

This alternative method looks to work much faster and removes more quartz. It has its own risks. I think I might try this next time instead of Whink.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ULsTAV_4Fc4
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jan 05, 2019 at 12:13 AM.
    rodoconnor likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11367 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by mytimetoshine View Post
    Isn't this what Goldwasher does?.Surpised he hasn't chimed in yet

believe it or not I've been trying to be on TNET less.

Yes it is exactly what I do.

You can barely tell theres gold in most of my finds when they come out of the ground

i use heat and shock. Muriatic acid , or Whink rust remover.

Vinegar, coca cola, and even hot sauce.

dental picks and a long deck screw as a mini auger popper.

allof this allows me to let the speci. do the talking based on what coes off

the muriatic is slow controlable and easy to neutralize. whink reguires more caution.

I've never hurt myself or " ruined a piece"

there is also a glass etch product available I was given some by another digger.

I haven't used it since Claydiggins turned me onto Whink

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180419_144538.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	1671079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180430_101707.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1671080a before and after of just a basic clean up.. if you have continuity in a piece and know a lump is all the way through in even a week of acid-neutralze-pick tools repeat you can get rid of most or all of the quartz.. calcite is a little longer.

Some host rock like slate and granodiorite just melts away in one or two soaks or gets soft enough to brush off.
    Last edited by Goldwasher; Jan 14, 2019 at 11:37 AM.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11367 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Man I sure did miss this thread..lol

You guys are all gonna DIEEEEE...

From reading the internet..100% effective to making the sky fall..

I use baking soda and water to neutralize.. I soak the pieces in a solution with so much there's still powder in the bottom of the cup.

when I use whink I also run a hose into the container (Post neutralize bath) at flow enough to exchange about a tablespoon of whater a minute.. for several hours

theres grass growing there so...there is that..

With muriatic I let it sit until the bubbles stop coming out of the matrix..take piece out of soda water, let the piece sit.. if it leaches out yellow after a few hours ..it goes in the soda water longer..then a dilution rinse..

I handle the pieces quite a bit within minutes of rinse..thats when I'm using the pick a toothbrush and a spray bottle... I've had water splashed on my face from the spay...I don't wear gloves.

I try to remeber to wear glasses for the flying mini quartz shrapnel.

NO BURNS
    Last edited by Goldwasher; Jan 14, 2019 at 09:23 PM. Reason: me bad engk=lish

Jan 2019
    3 times
    THERE IS A SAFE AND EASY WAY TO ETCH WITH HYDROFLUORIC ACID.

I WILL EXPLAIN IN A MINUTE, BUT KNOW THAT EVEN FUMES FROM HYDROFLUORIC ACID ARE HORRIBLE.

OK. Scary stuff aside, go to a stained glass hobby shop and buy a bottle of the hydrofluoric acid stuff they sell to etch glass. It's "buffered" in a way to render it mostly harmless. This will probably do what you want. If you are not trying to etch, but instead dissolve quartz etc, that is another matter entirely. Leave it to the pros.

Mar 2016
    2171 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    Man I sure did miss this thread..lol

You guys are all gonna DIEEEEE...

From reading the internet..100% effective to making the sky fall..

I use baking soda and water to neutralize.. I soak the pieces in a solution with so much there's still powder in the bottom of the cup.

when I use whink I also run a hose into the container (Post neutralize bath) at flow enough to exchange about a tablespoon of whater a minute.. for several hours

theres grass growing there so...there is that..

With muriatic I let it sit until the bubbles stop coming out of the matrix..take piece out of soda water, let the piece sit.. if it leaches out yellow after a few hours ..it goes in the soda water longer..then a dilution rinse..

I handle the pieces quite a bit within minutes of rinse..thats when I'm using the pick a toothbrush and a spray bottle... I've had water splashed on my face from the spay...I don't wear gloves.

I try to remeber to wear glasses for the flying mini quartz shrapnel.

NO BURNS
    “Wink requires more caution”
    10-4 on that. Safety glasses and gloves.
    There is no denying that it consists of 2.5% - 3% HF which causes permanent damage to your eyes and is lethal if swallowed. It will enter your system just the same as stronger HF.

It’s easily avoided, but nothing to be calvalier about.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jan 16, 2019 at 11:22 PM.
    beekbuster likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

if it flies, it dies

Jan 2015
    gpx 4500 sdc 2300
    1136 times
    ducks, bucks and gold
    thanks for a visual of the results goldwasher! looks great. if it ever stops raining ill be out there looking for more.
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    got the fever? dont scratch the itch.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    4139 times
    Quote Originally Posted by beekbuster View Post
    right. and is not legal to possess without a special license, nor would i ever think of getting anywhere near that stuff. which is why i am searching for someone who has the qualifications and experience in the services i am seeking
    actually thats not true, at least in certain concentrations. I can buy it for glass etching and have used it in the past, but I too try stay far far away form that stuff.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    11367 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by beekbuster View Post
    thanks for a visual of the results goldwasher! looks great. if it ever stops raining ill be out there looking for more.
    thats just a short two soak two neutralize wash.

the one thing the acid does is help to weaken the matrix for easier mechanical material removal.

If you have a piece that is mainly gold and soak it longer the matrix will eventually come almost all the way off on its own but with such weak acids it takes a while.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    11367 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Not being cavalier i'm being an experienced smart ass.

Whink is not HFL it is a solution containing a % of. Pouring on like hand sanitizer is probably not a good idea though.

If you read the bottle it is used on clothes.. guess how you neutralize a towel you cleaned with whink?

You put it in the washing machine...with othwer clothes.

I know it may be a mistake but, I'm assuming that anyone who is going to be using these diluted acids wil still use common sense

My point was thaat after being properly neutralized the pieces are very safe to handle.

Study up on how to handle the acid. and what and how to neutralize. Proper disposal of used solution.

Proper work environment.

the fact is a slight breeze and the tailgate of your truck are perfectly safe.

Don't stick your face over the containers to look. The whink I use comes in a safety squeeze no splash bottle. Muriatic is easy to pour. when I'm transferring small amounts in small containers i use tongs... cause if it gets on a glove i have to take those gloves off... with my hands..

I use long tweezers to pull out pieces that I want to neutralize and work on.. while leaving others to soak longer.

Keep in mind this is etching.. so its a small layer at a time...

I have no desire to work with a stronger acid. Caution is required with what I use.. but, it is in no way the same as working with the stronger formulas available.

I've had hours of mandatory chemical safety and MSDS training. I've used chemicals in commercial dishwashers that were much more dangerous than Whink rust remover.
    Clay Diggins and et1955 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    28746 times
    Post deleted, oldmancoyote, please read our rules.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    8123 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I know nothing about acids for gold and quartz but did have a fun experience with muriatic. I was building an office complex and had half of it occupied. Had my tile guys to come in and clean the floors. We had high humidity and the muriatic acid caused a visible fog and had to evacuate the building. Humidity was the culprit and it was not a good day to be the all knowing superintendent. Use common sense better safe than sorry right?
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

Mar 2016
    2171 times
    Just for the record, Whink is made by taking concentrated HF and diluting it with water to the point of being 3% HF Acid. Then a chemical is added to give it a bitter taste.

That’s all it is ..3% HF that tastes bad. Nothing magical.

I have seen MSDS sheets showing it as high as 8% HF.

Let’s just say there is a hole in your glove and some is spilled on your fingernail.
    You assume it’s just sweaty hands from the gloves.
    You forget to rinse immediately.
    You will not notice any I’ll effects until the next day (due to it being diluted to 3%).
    Your fingers will feel like they were smashed with a hammer and your fingernail will need to be cut off for treatment.

I believe that to be the reality.

Knowing this means you avoid gloves with holes in them, and know how to neautralize the acid.
    You wear eye protection so as to avoid some sort of permenant damage.

Other chemicals are bad, but they don’t quietly creep through your skin and mess with your bones.
    Usually it’s a burn that you quickly notice and the chemical is rinsed off the surface of the skin. The skin heals and your good to go.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jan 20, 2019 at 09:08 PM.

Mar 2016
    2171 times
    Not like it’s the end of the world. I see lots of old guys with fingernails that look like this.

This was from exposure to a rust remover product that was made for carpet.
    According the source.

Name:	6D481318-A529-4870-AF55-DE367A9DE82E.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	284.6 KB 
ID:	1673025

Now we know what all the fine Walmart people are shopping for.

Name:	A031E561-F031-45C4-94B7-DDE334A4BEA8.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	376.9 KB 
ID:	1673040
    According to the expert...”Ive had it on my hands before and just washed it off and it's fine, and fumes seem to be minimal. Just rinse well!! You don't want to taste this stuff on your smoke“

“My husband and I used Whink on a broken glass stem that we had been using for months to do hot rails, and it was really looking bad with burned/melted meth stuck on the end like tar. Even that piece got totally clean and looked brand new. I wish I took a before and after pic”

How funny!
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jan 20, 2019 at 10:13 PM.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    11367 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Not like it’s the end of the world. I see lots of old guys with fingernails that look like this.

This was from exposure to a rust remover product that was made for carpet.
    According the source.

Name:	6D481318-A529-4870-AF55-DE367A9DE82E.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	284.6 KB 
ID:	1673025

Now we know what all the fine Walmart people are shopping for.

Name:	A031E561-F031-45C4-94B7-DDE334A4BEA8.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	376.9 KB 
ID:	1673040
    According to the expert...”Ive had it on my hands before and just washed it off and it's fine, and fumes seem to be minimal. Just rinse well!! You don't want to taste this stuff on your smoke“

“My husband and I used Whink on a broken glass stem that we had been using for months to do hot rails, and it was really looking bad with burned/melted meth stuck on the end like tar. Even that piece got totally clean and looked brand new. I wish I took a before and after pic”

How funny!
    bro if its good enogh for tweakers
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    11367 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Just for the record, Whink is made by taking concentrated HF and diluting it with water to the point of being 3% HF Acid. Then a chemical is added to give it a bitter taste.

That’s all it is ..3% HF that tastes bad. Nothing magical.

I have seen MSDS sheets showing it as high as 8% HF.

Let’s just say there is a hole in your glove and some is spilled on your fingernail.
    You assume it’s just sweaty hands from the gloves.
    You forget to rinse immediately.
    You will not notice any I’ll effects until the next day (due to it being diluted to 3%).
    Your fingers will feel like they were smashed with a hammer and your fingernail will need to be cut off for treatment.

I believe that to be the reality.

Knowing this means you avoid gloves with holes in them, and know how to neautralize the acid.
    You wear eye protection so as to avoid some sort of permenant damage.

Other chemicals are bad, but they don’t quietly creep through your skin and mess with your bones.
    Usually it’s a burn that you quickly notice and the chemical is rinsed off the surface of the skin. The skin heals and your good to go.
    already knowing this is why its the strongest hfl I would use.

hating gloves for the fact that they actually mess with the ability to grasp and handle well is why I use tongs.

also the wink I buy is in a no splash dispenser.

I would never put my self in a situation that so much HFL would even get on my gloves.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links