hydrofloric acid gold etching services in california?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know nothing about acids for gold and quartz but did have a fun experience with muriatic. I was building an office complex and had half of it occupied. Had my tile guys to come in and clean the floors. We had high humidity and the muriatic acid caused a visible fog and had to evacuate the building. Humidity was the culprit and it was not a good day to be the all knowing superintendent. Use common sense better safe than sorry right?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for the record, Whink is made by taking concentrated HF and diluting it with water to the point of being 3% HF Acid. Then a chemical is added to give it a bitter taste.

That’s all it is ..3% HF that tastes bad. Nothing magical.

I have seen MSDS sheets showing it as high as 8% HF.

Let’s just say there is a hole in your glove and some is spilled on your fingernail.
You assume it’s just sweaty hands from the gloves.
You forget to rinse immediately.
You will not notice any I’ll effects until the next day (due to it being diluted to 3%).
Your fingers will feel like they were smashed with a hammer and your fingernail will need to be cut off for treatment.

I believe that to be the reality.

Knowing this means you avoid gloves with holes in them, and know how to neautralize the acid.
You wear eye protection so as to avoid some sort of permenant damage.

Other chemicals are bad, but they don’t quietly creep through your skin and mess with your bones.
Usually it’s a burn that you quickly notice and the chemical is rinsed off the surface of the skin. The skin heals and your good to go.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not like it’s the end of the world. I see lots of old guys with fingernails that look like this.

This was from exposure to a rust remover product that was made for carpet.
According the source.
6D481318-A529-4870-AF55-DE367A9DE82E.jpeg

Now we know what all the fine Walmart people are shopping for.
A031E561-F031-45C4-94B7-DDE334A4BEA8.jpeg
According to the expert...”Ive had it on my hands before and just washed it off and it's fine, and fumes seem to be minimal. Just rinse well!! You don't want to taste this stuff on your smoke“

“My husband and I used Whink on a broken glass stem that we had been using for months to do hot rails, and it was really looking bad with burned/melted meth stuck on the end like tar. Even that piece got totally clean and looked brand new. I wish I took a before and after pic”

How funny!

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not like it’s the end of the world. I see lots of old guys with fingernails that look like this.

This was from exposure to a rust remover product that was made for carpet.
According the source.
View attachment 1673025

Now we know what all the fine Walmart people are shopping for.
View attachment 1673040
According to the expert...”Ive had it on my hands before and just washed it off and it's fine, and fumes seem to be minimal. Just rinse well!! You don't want to taste this stuff on your smoke“

“My husband and I used Whink on a broken glass stem that we had been using for months to do hot rails, and it was really looking bad with burned/melted meth stuck on the end like tar. Even that piece got totally clean and looked brand new. I wish I took a before and after pic”

How funny!

bro if its good enogh for tweakers

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for the record, Whink is made by taking concentrated HF and diluting it with water to the point of being 3% HF Acid. Then a chemical is added to give it a bitter taste.

Let’s just say there is a hole in your glove and some is spilled on your fingernail.
You will not notice any I’ll effects until the next day (due to it being diluted to 3%).
Your fingers will feel like they were smashed with a hammer and your fingernail will need to be cut off for treatment.

Knowing this means you avoid gloves with holes in them, and know how to neautralize the acid.

Other chemicals are bad, but they don’t quietly creep through your skin and mess with your bones.
Usually it’s a burn that you quickly notice and the chemical is rinsed off the surface of the skin. The skin heals and your good to go.

already knowing this is why its the strongest hfl I would use.

hating gloves for the fact that they actually mess with the ability to grasp and handle well is why I use tongs.

also the wink I buy is in a no splash dispenser.

I would never put my self in a situation that so much HFL would even get on my gloves.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My acid “accident”.
I was driving a 1963 VW bug down the freeway. I had just bought a battery and a new voltage regulator. The backseat was out, meaning the battery was sitting exposed on the floor.
I heard a hissing noise and turned around and looked back at the battery as it violently exploded, spraying battery acid in my face and eyes. I coughed as I breathed in the thick gas that had filled the car from the 35% sulfuric acid. My eyes were burning from the direct hit.

I made a split decision to roll down the window and press the gas pedal to the floor in order to get to the nearest water I could think of..a gas station located a couple miles away.

I know what your thinking...your on the freeway in a VW Bug, the gas pedal has to of already been floored in order to keep up with traffic!

I had swapped the stock engine/transaxle for a hot rod set up.
4th gear was special ordered to be extra tall.

Speed odometer needle spun around past 90MPH and kept going until it pegged out over by the generator warning light. I figure I was going near 120 MPH flying past traffic like they were standing still. I skidded into the gravel parking lot at the gas station and ran in and asked for a water hose. Spent the next 20 minutes washing my eyes out by spraying water directly into them.

Car interior had been restored. It was completely ruined. No lasting affects to my eyes as far as I know.

I have read a few hospital case files on household rust remover exposure. They typically can only treat you and send you home with gel to apply for the next week.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Thats what I was taught about the stuff. I have a friend from school that had that very thing happen working with what I believe was an 8% solution. Had a hole in his glove and it got on his thumb, turned black and blue and throbbed like it had been smacked with a hammer. Another problem with gloves is should you get any in through a hole it tends to help hold the acid to your skin. In the glass shop we didn't wear gloves just constantly rinsed off and used tongs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread