Gold right by Highway 50 on the way to Lake Tahoe?

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother says he's going on vacation to Lake Tahoe and can spare me a bit of time on the way to get some gravel since the south fork American River flows along Highway 50 and there's some easily accessible areas right by the freeway there. Would it be worth it for him to get me some, or is it a waste of time and unlikely that there'll be gold in this area?

Untitled.jpg

Sand Flat campground seems to be the easiest area to access on the way there

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...fd223!8m2!3d38.7633802!4d-120.3260154!9m1!1b1

Upvote 0

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it's legal then have him get some!!! Even if it just gives you something to do on a winter day :icon_thumleft:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even if it wastes time, it’s his not yours

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There will be lots of black sand in it.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should gets some color, but yea that the black sand capitol of the mother load .

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
wouldn't that be too far east for placer? up where I'm at, the placer ends at about where ca20 and I-80 meet, the ancient Yuba wasn't running in that area.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wouldn't that be too far east for placer? up where I'm at, the placer ends at about where ca20 and I-80 meet, the ancient Yuba wasn't running in that area.

yes kinda. i know of gold found up near camp sacramento.. But below Silver fork and Whiehall on west is better.

calsierra-Dan

Jun 1, 2015
eldorado co.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Goldmonster 1000
Primary Interest:
Other
The Ancient american is just up on the hill to the south of river u can find it up silverfork rd ! And yes there is gold its a river ;-)

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to think that there is gold to some extend in every major river flowing west out of the sierras in California. Get out there and find you some!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one knows where big gold is like I tell my. kids when they lose something if ya dont know where it is how do ya know where it isnt you got nothing to lose just your Brothers as a friend if you find a big nugget and dont share it with him

calsierra-Dan

Jun 1, 2015
eldorado co.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Goldmonster 1000
Primary Interest:
Other
There was a 13.3 gram nugget found on the s fork this past year so yeah theres a lil somewhere ! Its a quiet river for prospecting lots of private land from gold rush day when it was a toll road , there is some areas that looked to be claimed i was swiming at one this last year didnt see any diggings at all but i wasnt there for digging just a dip in the water

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread