Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Goldspeed
  • 2 Post By arizau
  • 3 Post By Goldspeed
  • 2 Post By arizau

Thread: South Carolina Gold

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2016
    Carolinas
    152 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

South Carolina Gold

Hello everyone. I've posted on here before and I am trying at it again. I live in Lancaster South Carolina. Home to the second largest gold mine east of the Mississippi. I don't live really close to it but on my property there is a convergence of about four creeks that meet. I've panned here and there but I know I need to get deep enough to get loose gold. I've found a lot of very fine gold and a lot of pyrite. I've done a lot of research and the geological settings match that of haile gold mine. It is extremely difficult to recover the fine gold but I'm sure there is an abundance of it. I'm posting a picture of a piece of Quartz I found. I believe it is loaded with pyrites gold and electrum. Any suggestions on how to remove super fine gold without chemicals?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546440341.870466.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	742.6 KB 
ID:	1666624
    RTR and huntsman53 like this.

us
    Oct 2018
    Central Valley California
    115 times
    Jeff Williams on youtube uses an ore crusher in his backyard for ore like that

Charter Member
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    8763 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldspeed View Post
    Hello everyone. I've posted on here before and I am trying at it again. I live in Lancaster South Carolina. Home to the second largest gold mine east of the Mississippi. I don't live really close to it but on my property there is a convergence of about four creeks that meet. I've panned here and there but I know I need to get deep enough to get loose gold. I've found a lot of very fine gold and a lot of pyrite. I've done a lot of research and the geological settings match that of haile gold mine. It is extremely difficult to recover the fine gold but I'm sure there is an abundance of it. I'm posting a picture of a piece of Quartz I found. I believe it is loaded with pyrites gold and electrum. Any suggestions on how to remove super fine gold without chemicals?Click image for larger version. 

Smash it into powder,then classify it .And run it on a Miller table.This DIY table has NO problem AT ALL at extracting minus 100 mesh gold.Good luck !Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	1666649
    And its way faster at doing it than panning . Some minus 80 mesh under magnification Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	1666650
    Last edited by RTR; Jan 02, 2019 at 10:14 AM.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2764 times
    Prospecting

As has already been suggested, crush it to fines and screen it down into separate batches of like sized particles and process them separately. Screen your placer concentrates too to make gold recovery much easier. When gold is the same size as all the other material in a pan it is king and is relatively easy to separate by panning or by running on a miller table or in a blue bowl. A good starting point for screen sizes for fine gold recovery is 30, 50 and 100 mesh. Pioneer is one set that I use and you can find them here. https://www.google.com/search?q=pion...hrome&ie=UTF-8.

Good luck.

PS: A simple crusher is a capped pipe or rod that fits into a larger pipe on a piece of plate steel. Insert the rock into larger pipe and pound away with the other to make short work of the process.
    Last edited by arizau; Jan 02, 2019 at 11:16 AM.
    et1955 and Clay Diggins like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Oct 2016
    Carolinas
    152 times
    I need to obtain some screens to classify. I made a rock crusher. It does fairly well. I definitely need more practice panning. I also desperately need a shaker table or blue bowl set up. I've panned a little bit here at work. I'm a hydraulic mechanic so I have free time in between repairs. And there's definitely fine gold. And a whole lot of microscopic gold. . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546449670.231030.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	862.1 KB 
ID:	1666660
    arizau, et1955 and huntsman53 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, White's TDI SL, Tesoro Tejon
    18371 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    I bought an ore crusher on ebay. Was pretty inexpensive and works very well. I use it a few times a year on a hot rock the detector picks up in gold areas.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2764 times
    Prospecting
    I need to obtain some screens to classify. I made a rock crusher. It does fairly well. I definitely need more practice panning. I also desperately need a shaker table or blue bowl set up. I've panned a little bit here at work. I'm a hydraulic mechanic so I have free time in between repairs. And there's definitely fine gold. And a whole lot of microscopic gold. . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546449670.231030.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	862.1 KB 
ID:	1666660
    That kind of puts the cart before the horse. In my book you first need a sluice/concentrator of some sort to produce quantities of concentrates from either a placer source or from a quantity of crushed rocks. From there you can determine if panning classified material will suit your needs. For many of us it does without the need for any extra equipment especially if one becomes proficient in panning. Save your rejected concentrates just in case you decide to add more equipment to determine if in fact you lost gold while originally panning them.
    Last edited by arizau; Jan 02, 2019 at 12:05 PM.
    et1955 and Clay Diggins like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Mar 2013
    South Carolina
    Whites M6 Whites MXT Whites 6000 di pro sl (Old but a Coin Killer!) Whites Bullseye TRX Pin Pointer Whites Bullseye 2 Pin Pointer
    50 times
    Metal Detecting
    Iím in Batesburg-Leesville South Carolina if you ever want to go prospecting. I live right at the edge of the slate belt and saluda sc had several gold mines during the first gold rush. Thatís a beauty rock, I would crush it and pan it and use jet dry.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links