Best way to melt down ultrafine flour gold without too much equipment?

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought some gold paydirt from ebay recently, this seller because it was highly recommended on youtube. On one hand it actually paid off well since I got over 1 gram of gold but problem is most of it is really ultrafine flour gold that is so easy to lose. I'd like to melt this altogether into one lump instead, will a MAP torch be enough to melt it down?

IMAG1248.jpg IMAG1262.jpg

Upvote 0

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Should work, you're going to need a little crucible and some borax to flux it.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search You Tube for "Peach Can Furnace" and get a little flux like borax, or some Chapman flux from E Bay and have a good time!

ratled

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your link states the cost is $240 A$15 smelt kit from e bay with a crucible, tongs and little flux plus a simple sweating torch from anywhere for $10-$20 will work just fine. Mapp gas is hotter than propane but ,just like putting a lid on a pot of water to boil makes it work faster, containing the heat in a simple furnace such as the peach can or a small pile of fire brick will make either gas work better and faster increasing your chances for good success in your first attempts

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to add that one has to coat the inside of the crucible with a layer of borax by heating it up to melt the borax into a flowing liquid.
I would also use metal tongs and the handheld propane torch to accomplish this.
Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread