Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree21Likes
  • 1 Post By flinthunter
  • 7 Post By Underburden
  • 2 Post By johnedoe
  • 3 Post By arizau
  • 1 Post By Duckshot
  • 2 Post By johnedoe
  • 1 Post By smokeythecat
  • 2 Post By RTR
  • 1 Post By flinthunter
  • 1 Post By CGC Miner

Thread: A question about dissolving ultra fine gold out of black sands with HCL and bleach.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2011
    Illinois
    E-Trac, V3i, DFX
    528 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

A question about dissolving ultra fine gold out of black sands with HCL and bleach.

I'm from Central Illinois and we have to work for our gold. A lot of our black sands have a large amount of ultra fine (only visible with a loupe) gold. I know that hydrochloric acid and bleach will slowly dissolve gold. I've searched the internet and can't find any information about using hcl and bleach for removing ultra fine gold from black sands. It is something I am going to try this summer. Has anyone heard of this method being used before with any success?
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Idaho
    Gold Hog Stream Sluice
    920 times
    Prospecting
    HCL & Bleach will form a deadly gas that will make you wish you sent your black sands to a commercial recovery outfit. Just sayin
    See line #1 in my signature.
    Last edited by Underburden; Jan 11, 2019 at 09:05 PM.
    Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
    Visit my Idaho Gold Prospecting Blog at Bedrock or Bust
    US Army Pacific 1969-1971
    2015 Stroke Survivor
    2016 Cancer Survivor
    2017 2nd Stroke Survivor
    2018 Pacemaker Recipient
    Every Day Is A Beautiful Day

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    1969 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    I think I would try a kiln and borax.......Chlorine gas doesn't thrill me..lol
    A2coins and et1955 like this.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

Which is also why we have the second
    amendment.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2764 times
    Prospecting
    If you screen those cons, by various fractions, down to minus 200 mesh* and pan the batches in small quantities then you can recover most of that gold just by panning. Tedious but effective. That said, there is also a method using oleophylic adhesion that will reduce the black sand fraction of your concentrates by well over 90% to make your panning effort even easier. I think the/a simple method of doing that is in this thread "Found this gold dust in 3 minutes". The method involves a pan coated with shortening. Look it up and at least test it...it works.

Good luck.

* Google "Rio Grande Supply screen sieves". They carry very inexpensive 5 1/2" stackable screens.
    Last edited by arizau; Jan 11, 2019 at 11:44 PM.
    A2coins, Laz7777 and flinthunter like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Charter Member

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 3660'
    4392 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flinthunter View Post
    I'm from Central Illinois and we have to work for our gold. A lot of our black sands have a large amount of ultra fine (only visible with a loupe) gold. I know that hydrochloric acid and bleach will slowly dissolve gold. I've searched the internet and can't find any information about using hcl and bleach for removing ultra fine gold from black sands. It is something I am going to try this summer. Has anyone heard of this method being used before with any success?
    I have heard of it being tried without success. Once.

The chlorine gas is not the only danger. The usual method of reducing the gold chloride to gold is to use sulfur dioxide gas bubbled into the solution. You will need a fume hood at least, and probably a fume scrubber too. A lot of investment with little return.
    A2coins likes this.
    Liberty is the Freedom to do the next Right thing.

In God We Trust

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    1969 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    Here are a couple vids for ya,,,
    personally I have an electric furnace.

I do not know why these pics load sideways sometimes.. click on it once or twice to right it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0049.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1670296

Last edited by johnedoe; Jan 12, 2019 at 08:57 AM.
    Hoser John and A2coins like this.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

Which is also why we have the second
    amendment.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, White's TDI SL, Tesoro Tejon
    18371 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    We have a ton of black sand here with mainly micro gold in it. I bought one of those gold wheels and it works very well.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    8763 times
    Run that fine material on a Miller Table.No muss ,no fuss, faster than panning and no stinking gasses Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	1670309
    Underburden and A2coins like this.

us
    Jan 2011
    Illinois
    E-Trac, V3i, DFX
    528 times
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am aware of the dangers of hcl and bleach and have the proper breathing equipment to process the black sands. All this will be done outdoors. For those of you that didn't seem to understand, the gold I'm talking about is not visible to the naked eye, only visible under a loupe, no disrespect intended. If I can see it, I can pan it. I see there might be several options here, hcl & bleach, mercury, or vasoline. It might be an interesting experimental summer.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Nov 2010
    High Rockies
    GB2
    68 times
    Vasoline..? It's oil and will float all your gold off.

I would super upgrade your cons then smelt them to see if it is worth your effort. Or you can carefully work with merc though I am not advising that.
    If the cons are worth smelting then you can stockpile them and have them bulk processed/leached professionally.
    For that to make sense, were talking 55 gal drum fulls or 1 ton batches at a time.

miller table and panning is probably most feasible
    A2coins likes this.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links