Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: No GPAA Gold Show in Vegas 2019?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10028 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho View Post
    I got in contact with the local club, Barry. here's a link to the Couer d'alene show.
    NWGPA Gold Show 2019
    Thanks Jim. We will be traveling this year and I've wanted to see your jig in action. I'll try to arrange to be in Couer d'alene March 16 & 17.

Heavy Pans
    arizau likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    2957 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    Thanks Jim. We will be traveling this year and I've wanted to see your jig in action. I'll try to arrange to be in Couer d'alene March 16 & 17.

Heavy Pans
    LOL...not much to see, watching the jig. Just a pile of raw material going up and down as the lifting arms rotate. I better find a small wading pool, so I can have a demonstration going. Maybe two, so I can have a dry-operation, too. That 10x10 booth might be a little crowded....Ha!
    Jim
    delnorter, et1955 and Clay Diggins like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11437 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by placertogo View Post
    Like most organizations, GPAA has gone through a life cycle. I believe the California dredge ban was the beginning of the end for GPAA. It does not mean the end for prospecting, but may open the door for more localized clubs. Twenty-five years after the passing of George Massie, things have changed.
    the vast majority of GPAA member have never touched a dredge nozzle.

regardless of the state they are in.

like everything related to small scale prospecting there just aren't as many people doing it as many believe.

The group of people who support the GPAA are aging and they aren't gaining and retaining younger members.

I was a dealer for three years and they are struggling with membership.

Them combining some claims with Amra was also a bad move.
    Last edited by Goldwasher; Jan 21, 2019 at 11:45 AM.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11437 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    you have to look at it this way.. if the shows were profitable for GPAA or the vendors.. there wouldn't be less shows there would be more. Every year many vendors gear up for the show circuit as it is hoped to be a boost in sales...

If it isn't your not gonna spend the money on the front end as a vendor.. booking your booth and lodging.. if in the end you just spend money to basically go to gold shows and talk to a bunch of people who don't end up buying your widget.

If the opposite was happening we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Last edited by Goldwasher; Jan 21, 2019 at 11:46 AM. Reason: keyboard sux
    Clay Diggins, et1955, Beav and 3 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    2957 times
    Prospecting
    Interest in gold prospecting is cyclical. Gold price has gone nowhere for several years, so interest has dropped off. The price is being manipulated to keep people from going to gold instead of paper, or digital, easily-controlled money. At some point, the price will take off again, and so will the interest in prospecting. It's always been this way.
    Jim

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    11437 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Interest in gold prospecting is cyclical. Gold price has gone nowhere for several years, so interest has dropped off. The price is being manipulated to keep people from going to gold instead of paper, or digital, easily-controlled money. At some point, the price will take off again, and so will the interest in prospecting. It's always been this way.
    Jim
    and the small scale community does not really change size within' that.

Notice were down to only two prospecting related publications in the country.. and Gold Prospector is only every other month...with articles about Kansas and tourist trap panning.

Love and respect to Chris Ralph .. but, ICMJ is a hollow shell of what it used to be as well.

the price of gold has a minimal affect on new panners and weekenders. they never find enough for it to matter.

it is a very small niche market period.

Jun 2017
    148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    you have to look at it this way.. if the shows were profitable for GPAA or the vendors.. there wouldn't be less shows there would be more. Every year many vendors gear up for the show circuit as it is hoped to be a boost in sales...

If it isn't your not gonna spend the money on the front end as a vendor.. booking your booth and lodging.. if in the end you just spend money to basically go to gold shows and talk to a bunch of people who don't end up buying your widget.

The only upside to this for the vendors is a big tax write off. This day and age the little guy has to pull out every trick then can to retain ever $ they can. I would rather spend my money on a show where the potential is there to attract more buys and sales than to just write a check to dear old uncle sam..
    Grizz12 likes this.

us
    Oct 2018
    Central Valley California
    128 times
    Interest in gold prospecting is cyclical. Gold price has gone nowhere for several years, so interest has dropped off.
    Jim
    Nothing wrong with that IMO. Less interest = less competition and more gold for the rest of us still out there.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    11437 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    so, the secret to success in the small scale prospecting widget biz.

is to spend a bunch on marketing and booths at show..

take in less money than you put out so, people can see your stuff.

and when you don't profit you write off your expenses on your taxes..and POOF you stay in business?

I can't find the nodding slowly in confused agreement emoji

us
    Dec 2018
    Alaska
    Nox 800
    392 times

so, the secret to success in the small scale prospecting widget biz.

is to spend a bunch on marketing and booths at show..

take in less money than you put out so, people can see your stuff.

and when you don't profit you write off your expenses on your taxes..and POOF you stay in business?

I can't find the nodding slowly in confused agreement emoji
    The goal of going to a show is not so much to make your money back at the the show but to get your name and contact info out to as many people as possible. Also to educate more people about your products. Don't get me wrong, leaving a show empty handed is FANTASTIC. The only way to track the shows true success is to track all calls and emails following the show and ask how the customer found you. I've known vendors with decent products but terrible public presence, they didn't know how to interact with the public or make sales and therefore the show was a bust for them.

And every penny is tax deductible regardless of the amount of money made during the show.
    Goldwasher likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    11437 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz12 View Post
    The goal of going to a show is not so much to make your money back at the the show but to get your name and contact info out to as many people as possible. Also to educate more people about your products. Don't get me wrong, leaving a show empty handed is FANTASTIC. The only way to track the shows true success is to track all calls and emails following the show and ask how the customer found you. I've known vendors with decent products but terrible public presence, they didn't know how to interact with the public or make sales and therefore the show was a bust for them.

And every penny is tax deductible regardless of the amount of money made during the show.
    I get all of that and do not dispute the theory.

However less shows and less vendors signing up and existing... that is quite telling.

I'd wager Gold Hog is selling more small scale gear ( considering he's not a pan and detector maker like garrett) than anyone besides say Keene or Proline.. Keene being a world wide commercial dealer..

Gold Hog doesn't do GPAA shows. Only direct sales with one exception... literally the opposite of the must have GPAA exposure theory.

You are right people sure do go to shows to look at stuff... I'm sure many vendors leave empty handed..

Of the stuff they gave a way for free

The group of buyers we are talking about put their stuff in a closet more than the creek.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Motherlode, CA
    Gold Bug Pro
    951 times
    Sad (and happy) to say, Delta Gold Diggers will not be having a gold show in Sonora this year. Over the last two years, vendor participation had decreased. We had two full buildings of vendors and clubs our first three years. This last year our show consisted of one building of vendors and clubs and a smaller building for lectures.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    Aug 2012
    SO CAL
    SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, F19 and the Falcon
    1244 times
    Prospecting
    Its not just gold shows and venders on the slide but also the mom n' pop prospecting shops too. I've seen many close in the past several years (So Cal) to where just a few left. Better times and brain numbing techno gadgetry I think has a lot to do with it.

When the economy eventually tanks and gold makes a run toward $2000.00 an ounce, interest & excitement in gold and selling prospecting equipment should rise once again.

So far as the GPAA......

I think I hear the "death rattle"
    Last edited by Hard Prospector; Jan 23, 2019 at 08:35 PM.
    Beav likes this.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1889 times
    Prospecting
    Just the price tag is reason enough not to join gpaa.
    I can see people doing that if it's their only choice but 1200 is alot of money. They will probably price themselves out of existence with the newer and more broke generations we have aging now. It's just too expensive for what you get.
    Last edited by Johnnybravo300; Jan 24, 2019 at 07:01 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    2957 times
    Prospecting
    I've been self-employed my entire adult life, other than my time in the Air Force, and I can tell you it isn't all about the money. It's about being involved, being productive, and making a contribution that makes people's lives better. if you do that, the money will take care of itself. I'd like to make a little money on my jigs, but it won't change my life. I started out to build a unit that would improve MY life. I did that, and then thought others might like one. If they do, great! If they don't I'll just do what I was doing when this idea occurred to me....go prospecting! But, I should make a reasonable effort to get the idea to the public, otherwise I'm not involved, I'm simply existing, and that's a poor way to go through life IMHO.
    Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links