No GPAA Gold Show in Vegas 2019?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Come to the Denver show instead. April 13-14. It’s gonna be great! I’ll be selling my books there :)

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Come to the Denver show instead. April 13-14. It’s gonna be great! I’ll be selling my books there :)

Not many venues can match the South Point or the good looking cocktail waitresses working there! I live in San Diego and Denver is quite the drive so probably consider the Phoenix show instead. Best of luck selling your book Kevin........

Rob

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No show in Pomona Ca. either. My choices are Phoenix or Fresno. Bummer[emoji26]

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just the state of the GPAA, Brandon has ran it into the ground, not even doing the AK trips and that was the money maker

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had intended on going to the Vegas show with my Sweep Jig. Plans now are to do Couer d'alene, and Boise. Oh well, I don't like Vegas anymore anyway.
Jim

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What exactly is going on with the GPAA these days, anyway? It sure has changed since I first became acquainted with it. Sometimes I wonder if it's on its last leg, or what. There certainly isn't any passion like there was in the earlier days with Tom and his father before him.

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not long ago the Massies sold the Outdoor Channel and left CA, Tom to Alaska and Perry to AZ. Before leaving California Tom made his step son, who isn't exactly "passionate" of mining and prospecting in charge of running the GPAA exclusively. The results speak for themselves as I too believe the organization is on life support.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I( wasn't all that impressed with the GPAA at the Blue Bucket in Oregon. But that may be simply my tending to a be a loner. All that rah, rah, rah stuff just makes me laugh....or makes me tired. Felt like I was back in grade school again.
Jim

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to their site today and its not working correctly, the forum is messed up.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where and when can we see your new jig in Couer d'alene, or Boise Jim?

Heavy Pans

I'm trying to contact the Couer d'alene club now, Barry. Need to get a booth rented. I understand the show is 15th-17th of March. Not sure of which days. Probably Sat. & Sun....16th and 17th. I don't know if it's 2 days, or 3.
Jim

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know what's going on. No east coast show again and the east coast club contact was let go. Tom shut cripple river down, don't know why. I'm waiting to have some questions answered and our chapter will do whatever is necessary. They stopped selling lifetime memberships, so that may be a sign of things to come.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Like most organizations, GPAA has gone through a life cycle. I believe the California dredge ban was the beginning of the end for GPAA. It does not mean the end for prospecting, but may open the door for more localized clubs. Twenty-five years after the passing of George Massie, things have changed.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jim. We will be traveling this year and I've wanted to see your jig in action. I'll try to arrange to be in Couer d'alene March 16 & 17. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

LOL...not much to see, watching the jig. Just a pile of raw material going up and down as the lifting arms rotate. I better find a small wading pool, so I can have a demonstration going. Maybe two, so I can have a dry-operation, too. That 10x10 booth might be a little crowded....Ha!
Jim

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like most organizations, GPAA has gone through a life cycle. I believe the California dredge ban was the beginning of the end for GPAA. It does not mean the end for prospecting, but may open the door for more localized clubs. Twenty-five years after the passing of George Massie, things have changed.

the vast majority of GPAA member have never touched a dredge nozzle.

regardless of the state they are in.

like everything related to small scale prospecting there just aren't as many people doing it as many believe.

The group of people who support the GPAA are aging and they aren't gaining and retaining younger members.

I was a dealer for three years and they are struggling with membership.

Them combining some claims with Amra was also a bad move.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you have to look at it this way.. if the shows were profitable for GPAA or the vendors.. there wouldn't be less shows there would be more. Every year many vendors gear up for the show circuit as it is hoped to be a boost in sales...

If it isn't your not gonna spend the money on the front end as a vendor.. booking your booth and lodging.. if in the end you just spend money to basically go to gold shows and talk to a bunch of people who don't end up buying your widget.

If the opposite was happening we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interest in gold prospecting is cyclical. Gold price has gone nowhere for several years, so interest has dropped off. The price is being manipulated to keep people from going to gold instead of paper, or digital, easily-controlled money. At some point, the price will take off again, and so will the interest in prospecting. It's always been this way.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread