Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Most unusual find prospecting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    captain

Dec 2016
    ohio
    bounty hunter time ranger
    181 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Most unusual find prospecting

Well I'm still recovering from my surgery in December and thought about crazy stuff you may find prospecting. Other than finding the lost Dutchman mine what else have we found out there?

us
    Jan 2012
    Chickasha,Oklahoma
    1259 times
    Prospecting
    Found a 1890 $20 gold piece and a 5oz Wells Fargo silver bar inside a Prince Albert can while detecting. Also found a old revolver frame from the 1800s
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/GeologyOK/GetMap

http://www.mylandmatters.org/

"If the Gold dont care neither do I"
    Shawn Pomrenke

4" Proline 2" Jobe combo 2.5" Keene 2.5" subbie Drywasher Spiral Wheel Minelab Detector

us
    captain

Dec 2016
    ohio
    bounty hunter time ranger
    181 times
    The only things i have found so far in the Arizona dessert is junk or old odds and end of prior mine operations. I'm still keeping an eye peeled for signs of lost mines and buried treasures in the areas.

us
    Apr 2005
    North Carolina
    Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett AT Gold
    2298 times
    I actually found a fossilized tooth that ended up being from a prehistoric alligator.
    2019 COIN ROLL HUNTING TOTALS!

Wheats..43
    Buffalos..0
    war nickels.0
    Silv Dimes...-0
    Silv Quarters-0/0
    Barbers-0/0
    Walker 0
    Bens- 0
    Kenn. 90%- 0
    Kenn. 40%- 0
    Proof- 0
    Silv. Proof -0
    Commemorative-0/0

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    4365 times
    Close to being one of my first finds was a V Nickel at the top of Green Valley Trail out of Alta. Of course, that is Nothing compared to a $20.00 Gold Piece. I've found a lobe from a stamp mill about a mile below the stamp mill site. I've found a bunch of turning purple Champagne bottles at an old mining site, the boys must of hit it Big that day! Found a 4" output cast iron nozzle for a Monitor. Found a small buick engine with a three speed tranny on the output shaft with a wooden taper on the output of the tranny used for winching large rope that was attached to big boulders. Then there was a large set of boulder tongs on top of a huge pile of river boulders. Found a Log Cabin Syrup tin in the shape of a log cabin. Found a round bottom bottle near a mound where the miners used to sleep. Found a ~ 4' long pry bar standing vertically in a dirt wall. And last but not least I've found a lot of beautiful places out in the back country!!.............63bkpkr
    Last edited by 63bkpkr; Jan 22, 2019 at 11:35 PM.
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    333 times
    Prospecting
    Sounds kind of minor to what you guys have found, but being only two weeks into this I found Melanite Jem Stones. They are not worth much, but I thought I might make an engagement ring for my wife with one. She lost her engagement ring awhile back, and we never replaced it.
    GoldpannerDave and 63bkpkr like this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    774 times
    Prospecting
    After the great flood in 1995 I found a homemade prybar made by the old timers, it was stuck in a tree 6 ft above the normal water level, next to that I was rock hounding with a group of friends and below the waterfall was 3 ladies sunbathing in the nude, unfortunately one of them decided to climb up the waterfall and discovered 8 happy guys there.
    Laz7777 and N-Lionberger like this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10418 times
    Prospecting
    A shark tooth in the Dolores River in SW Colorado, a 190x carnival token in Cherry Creek in Downtown Denver and a hard rock drill steel among riverbank rocks in Clear Creek downstream from Idaho Springs CO. Always fun to be surprised!

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    2265 times
    Prospecting
    I found an old rusty/crusty horseshoe at the bottom of a hole on upper Antelope Creek Az, I also dredge up a rock that appears to have been an anchor.....it has a hole in it and one can see where the rope or cable wore a slot/spot by the hole (about a 2 inch dia hole). I found an old ax head with worn handle (blacksmith made) dredging on a creek in Oregon. I have found quite a few old sluice box riffle bars as well.

Bejay

us
    Dec 2015
    South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
    GoldBug II
    489 times
    Prospecting
    about 3 ft. down on the banks of my beloved S. Yuba, a copper spoon.
    the spoon was smashed flat, but I stil managed to eat some beans with it.
    seemed the proper thing to so.

like Ed, I find women who've lost their britches. I'd help them find 'em, but something says they don't want my help.
    gold boy likes this.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty or Safety.

Benjamin Franklin
    Pennsylvania Assembly, November 11, 1755

Nov 2012
    888 times
    I found out that I am probably dumber than the rock I was searching for.
    gold tramp and 63bkpkr like this.

us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    685 times
    Prospecting
    few years back at the end of the season I found a native grinding rock with grooves and holes on the side of my dredge hole, I planned on going back in the spring for it but that winter filled in my hole and then some with large rocks so I left it.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Tejon
    19041 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    While I don't actually "prospect" in the true sense of the word, I found a small meteorite in the desert by eyeballing it.
    arizau likes this.

Mar 2016
    2344 times
    Gold.
    One time I got out of the truck, climbed up the top of the road cut bank and tried to ground balance the detector. Was on top of a signal so I dig it up. It was a nugget.
    Underburden likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

May 2013
    402 times
    In Cajon Pass, a heart shaped brass lock from the railroad, and also a very small pick. The pick has the company info on it, only about 6 or 8 inches long. The handle is a piece of doweling , and the head of the pick is held on by a long stove bolt that goes all the way through the length of the handle.

In TN. in the Little Pigeon river, I found a centennial medal commemorating the combine. Also found an old watch fob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links