Powder/Gold it dosent care 002.JPG

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I recently purchased an "AWS250" (model) by American Weigh Scales. It's made in China, not legal for trade, and was only $8.53 on eBay, but for the price I thought it was an alright deal and it seemed to have overall favorable reviews online (mostly by other people like me I presume - hobbyists). All I really wanted it for was to give me a good idea of how much gold/concentrates I had (roughly). I think one would be talking quite a bit more money if you wanted something truly accurate to the "T" and legal for trade.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeh, I know.

I just like keepin my hobbies seperate. The posder scale is a quite pricey beam scale involving conversions to units other than grains, and I'd rather not chance contaminating my ammo.

If you hit the "Tare"button the gold dosent come in contact with the scale.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A#1, when a person starts working with smaller and smaller particles, the particles begin to react to small electric charges of static electricity caused as the particles move around. This causes the particles to move or relocate themselves to unusual places, as they are poured from their container, which would mean they will not go back into the sample bottle or stay in the pan of the scale and in general will go where they go due to the charge. Or, the particle could maybe contaminate your ammunition loads. You are staying on the safe side by using your powder scale just for powder as if a round does not ignite properly odd pressures could develop sending the projectile down range without uniform pressures behind it.

Every time I remove my gold from its vial, the 100 mesh or smaller particles, do not just fall down onto the pan or paper, they fall outside of the location of where the heavier particles land. As whatever is mixed in with the gold (dirt, hematite, magnetite, etc.) as it moves from container to pan/paper/etc., it can fluff out and away anywhere..............63bkpkr

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of digital scales are available but choose one that reads at least to 0.00 gram and 0.000 is better but usually more expensive. I own an AWS scale.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of digital scales are available but choose one that reads at least to 0.00 gram and 0.000 is better but usually more expensive. I own an AWS scale.
Yeh, that was my issue with digital powder scales. With a resolution of .1, you couldnt tell if it was .11, or .19, a beam scale talks to ya a lil more.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a digital pocket scale it goes to thousandths, still has some fluctuations,
I weigh my gold in the cup then transfer it to bags it changes from 0.014 to 0.008
but at least it's still +/- in the thousandths, an tenth of a gram is a lot, a hundredth is a flake or two of gold.
DSC01812.JPG

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
A#1 do you have or use calibrations weights to measure your gold ? I had weights from 1 grain to 1 OZ. plus a 10 OZ. weight that never got used. sold it all with all of my equipment 6 months ago. I've gotten to old and unable to move / use it !

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeh, I know.

I just like keepin my hobbies seperate. The posder scale is a quite pricey beam scale involving conversions to units other than grains, and I'd rather not chance contaminating my ammo.

OP said it right there that it is a beam scale. As an avid reloader who utilizes such a scale I don't see how a particle of gold will mess up a load, you could pick up a seperate dish for the scale for weighing things other than powder.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what the fuss is about, but being a reloader that occasionally weighs gold, I’d offer this;
If your bent on having two scales, use the beam scale for gold and buy a trickle compatible digital scale for reloading.
Something like the Hornady Lock-N-Load Bench Scale. $88
0.1 grain accuracy.
You can store and recall load data, probably a bunch more. Combined with the digital trickler, I think it would allow more loads without sacrificing consistency.
I’ve been trickling from a coffee cup and kitchen spoon since a teenager and I’m tired of spending so much time measuring powder. Rather be shooting ammo.

Dad’s been loading based on volume rather than weight for 45 years and never had a problem killing his elk/deer.
Granted he doesn’t spend time measuring holes on paper.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't do any match shooting though I am interested in doing so with my Garand. I mostly load for hunting, plinking and punching holes in paper at the range. I run a progressive press with throw type powder measure that doesn't have nearly the accuracy of a powder trickler and an Ohaus beam scale but it has produced plenty of nice ammo.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ebay / Amazon literally has thousands of digital scales to choose from under $20. Just choose one that measures down to 0.01 gram. A 0.1 gram scale is not enough. Important to note that your powder scale is far more accurate.
A previous post mentioned static electrical charge causing the really fine gold to cling to surfaces. This can be prevented by wiping everything down with an anti static dryer sheet. (ask your wife, she knows)

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really wish I would have ordered one that went to at least .01g, although .001g would obviously be even better. I was having a difficult time trying to find one online that had favorable reviews and didn't cost a fortune and was more fine-tuned than just .1g.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If your just weighing for personal info , buy a cheap one and if your buying or selling gold buy a GOOD and ACURATE scale. I found that if it doesn't have REPEATABILITY DONT buy it or youll lose!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread