Todd Hoffman..where art thou?

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
As much as I am NOT a fan Todd's, I felt he did provide what I would call real drama to the Gold Rush show. I heard he went on to try singing and TV production.

IMO, without Todd, the show flattens out completely to the point where it's all Parker and crew with Tony thrown in for variety. It's rather boring with the same things happening over and over. Parker's water pump breaks down. Rick Ness tears through a water pipe with his excavator. How many times these two events happen on the show? Three or four times at least to these same people.

It's a joke. This needs to be the last season of GR.

Upvote 0

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree. Tony's one of the most interesting characters on the show. His "I can do anything I @&$^ing want" attitude is inspiring, and I'm looking forward to seeing him get that 2nd dredge working again. Think about that. Two dredges left in the mud for decades... and this guy had the vision, money, and man-hours to actually resurrect them.

It's great to watch Rick's fledgling operation get off to a solid start, and to see him humbled by first-year mistakes. Parker is still a brat, but it's always entertaining watching his crew based on the sheer volume of gold they pull out of the ground.

The only thing missing from this season is more Ashley. :) But we can't have everything.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
I disagree. Tony's one of the most interesting characters on the show. His "I can do anything I @&$^ing want" attitude is inspiring, and I'm looking forward to seeing him get that 2nd dredge working again. Think about that. Two dredges left in the mud for decades... and this guy had the vision, money, and man-hours to actually resurrect them.

It's great to watch Rick's fledgling operation get off to a solid start, and to see him humbled by first-year mistakes. Parker is still a brat, but it's always entertaining watching his crew based on the sheer volume of gold they pull out of the ground.

The only thing missing from this season is more Ashley. :) But we can't have everything.

Ashley and Parker broke up.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ashley and Parker broke up?
That’s a stunner

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its no longer about finding gold as much as its about making "good" tv

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hav't watched it for Years. Got Completely Sick of Toni's ego
& Parker was trying to Emulate him too Much.

Now that I read here Todd is Gone.
I'm glad I Left long before.
I Didn't like Todd's Old man either.
as for Todd (Toad)....... Todd was what he Was !
& That Rat trap on his chin turned my Stomach.
But at least He was Real

:coffee2:

Last edited:

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really have various opinions on that show only because of the drama involved. My wife started clicking on the channel when there is nothing else on and i'm sitting there. If you can glean any information about past or present gold mining in between the soap opera garbage it's minimum. The videos on Utube have more info than anything you are going to get out of the Rush.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
I really have various opinions on that show only because of the drama involved. My wife started clicking on the channel when there is nothing else on and i'm sitting there. If you can glean any information about past or present gold mining in between the soap opera garbage it's minimum. The videos on Utube have more info than anything you are going to get out of the Rush.

That's kinda not my point. I am watching FOR the drama. I think anyone serious about mining, wouldn't take lessons from GR.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Without Tony and the bucket line dredges, I would have lost interest a while ago. Parker actually kicked Ashley to the curb saying he didn't have time for her anymore. Actually I do believe what keeps me tuning in every Friday night is the hope someone will (finally) slap that little punk.

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya'll are just pissed because your not pulling that kind of gold out of the ground. It's entertainment and I like seeing the old dredges come back to life. Yes, it's obvious that there is some made up drama but not to the degree that most of the other reality shows have become. Just about any show that is Alaska based now turns my stomach and pisses me off that we as a state are made to look this stupid.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What show is that? (Just kidding.) Haven't watched in several years.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Couple of comments from the sub-Arctic here in Maine. Parker has a chip on his shoulder. Although he loves and misses his grandfather, John Schnabel, unfortunately Parker did not learn the most important lessons his grandfather tried to teach him. John Schnabel knew you get the most out of your employees when you treat them with decency and respect. He also knew that gold was not the most important commodity on the mining ground. Honor, self-respect, and respect for others have gold beat every time in the long haul. That gold and the money it buys can disappear tomorrow. The others define a man and his legacy, can't be bought and can't be taken away.

Tony Beets may seem rough around the edges. He came from the Netherlands with little more than the shirt on his back. Through hard work and vast imagination, he became a success, both as a miner as well as devoted family man. He asks no more of others than he asks of himself. In my opinion, Tony is awesome!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What kind of man let’s his wife touch the remote?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold Rush, Bering Sea Gold, Yukon Gold (my all time favorite), and even that silly one with the women up in Alaska a few years back....I watch/watched them all along with some random documentaries....Thank you DVR and VHS recording! Yeah and every one of Tom or the Buzzard's that I could find over the last umpty years. The Buzzard's shows were originally paid advertising for GPAA back in the 70's(?) before he bought a/the network and got paid by advertisers to sponsor his and later Tom's shows along with the revenue from all the other shows on the network. They usually aired late at night or on the weekends. Yeah some parts of the shows are annoying at times but "at the end of the day", as Tony (my favorite) would say, they show the gold. Hey, if I can't or don't find it or even if I do, I still want to see what others find including members finds here on the forum. They all beat watching Hallmark movies with the wife, even the one she is watching as I type this.:laughing7: On top of nothing else I REALLY miss all the westerns that used to air when I was a kid and a young adult and I hope the prospecting shows do not disappear like they did. SO THERE!

Last edited:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold Rush, Bering Sea Gold, Yukon Gold (my all time favorite), and even that silly one with the women up in Alaska a few years back....I watch/watched them all along with some random documentaries....Thank you DVR and VHS recording! Yeah and every one of Tom or the Buzzard's that I could find over the last umpty years. The Buzzard's shows were originally paid advertising for GPAA back in the 70's(?) before he bought a/the network and got paid by advertisers to sponsor his and later Tom's shows along with the revenue from all the other shows on the network. They usually aired late at night or on the weekends. Yeah some parts of the shows are annoying at times but "at the end of the day", as Tony (my favorite) would say, they show the gold. Hey, if I can't or don't find it or even if I do, I still want to see what others find including members finds here on the forum. They all beat watching Hallmark movies with the wife, even the one she is watching as I type this.:laughing7: On top of nothing else I REALLY miss all the westerns that used to air when I was a kid and a young adult and I hope the prospecting shows do not disappear like they did. SO THERE!
Right ON

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend watching Aussie Gold Hunters instead. Instead of tiny flakes they're getting freaking huge nuggets down there! Season 1 is on Netflix, the other seasons are available in other sites too but there's a bit of online piracy involved. I've seriously given thought to moving to Australia one day to find gold there because of this show.

Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the old westerns try Dish channel 342 EWSTN with no commercials. It's our favorite at dinnertime at my house recorded on DVR. Love it and beats the heck out of the evening news!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread