What areas of the world have the most potential for gold mining?

Jan 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm talking areas that are pretty untapped and could warrant a gold rush to that part of the world.

Right now I'm in the southern US, I find gold but not nearly as much as I hear some of the people in Canada get. My guess is that up north there is still lots of gold. There might even be lots in a few places in South America. There's also a bunch of gold in Africa that hasn't been mined with the poor infrastructure and all.

Upvote 0

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A russian friend online told me there are lots of gold in the Urals and Siberia, but it's almost impossible to prospect there legally because officially all the natural resources of Russia only belongs to Putin and his corrupt cronies. And there's lots of mineral resources in Africa too, but it's too unstable to prospect there safely unless you're a corporation, especially the chinese ones that are making massive investments to secure those resources for China only. Best place for an individual to still go to without getting killed by other people(although still facing massive risks from the wildlife and heat) would be Australia's deserts. I've seriously given it some thought to go back there since my parents gave me Australian citizenship and I could go back there, they're still finding huge nuggets there only with metal detectors.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where can you mine gold that makes economic sense? And where is the gold in an area that won't kill you? The world's untapped gold deposits are in lawless regions, tropical climates with all of the diseases and deadly critters to go with lawlessness, or in areas with only 3-4 months per year above freezing.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Deeper in the earth is still untapped, too costly. Lots of low grade placers remain almost everywhere, too costly. Who knows how much gold could be found in the oceans, too costly.
Gold prices will need to rise before we do much towards any of that.
It's cheaper for mining companies to buy other companies than to prospect for new gold and that's what they've been doing. Or they are sitting on deposits waiting to mine when it pays to do so.
There are still many lodes and sources that have never been located even here in America.
I could prospect to my hearts content right here in the good ole USA and be happy, plenty of gold the old timers missed, or they only worked the high grade at the surface.

The low grade deposits we hike past now will someday be our new high grade.

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold prices will need to rise before we do much towards any of that.

I doubt it really will though. Mining companies have the advantage of scale of production to drive prices even lower in the future like what happened to silver. Not to mention all the market manipulation going on with gold prices that make it higher than it really is.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
africa, amazon, russia, remote Canada, parts of alaska

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread