Photographing...Rocks!

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have to say, I never thought I would have to ask this, but what is the best way to photograph a rock? (Besides a pretty girl holding said rock!) LOL

The other day I had to do some photos, and while they came out okay, I think I made some mistakes. What are some pointers for photographing rocks?

Sample Two.JPG

Upvote 0

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
when i take photos of items to sell on ebay i use a flat green or felt background it works for me. Example.

Attachments

• DSCN4767.JPG
    DSCN4767.JPG
    549.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contrast of colors, like a green CLOTH like felt/fur/microfiber or other color that compliments the basic rock colors for a background, remove shadows with fill in lighting (be sure it is a white light as some flashlights are not), sunlight is good IF you put up a white cloth overhead to block the harshness of the light but watch for shadows so use fill in light, using a stand (like a glob of clay) under the rock can minimize shadows by lifting it up off of the background.

A real camera vs a cell phone camera can improve the quality of the picture (more megapixels improves the clarity of the picture like going from a 4 to 12 megapixel or greater sensor) and of course having the camera on a tripod improves the quality of the photo clarity a great deal especially if the camera has a timer on it as pushing the shutter release button of the camera causes the camera to shake (or use a remote control)!

Little things make a big difference! If you must use a cell phone or do not have a tripod then brace both arms to eliminate your body movement/shaking (put a chair or small table between you/the camera and the rock and brace your arms on that chair or table, use the zoom feature to obtain a picture of the rock not all of the background and remove shadows). Any movement of the camera will blur the details of the photo, do all you can to eliminate any movement of the camera at the instant the picture is taken!!

With digital cameras taking lots of pictures is SO easy and then just delete the ones that are not the best. Experiment and have fun improvising!................63bkpkr

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Late model cell phones have remarkable cameras and take great pics for having such a small imager. of course a real digital camera will do better. However, the best thing you can do is have good lighting. Non glaring reflected light coming from multiple directions to eliminate shadow is key.
Make sure the sample is dry, water or wetness will cause reflections.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find that rocks with gold in them photograph much better than others.:laughing7::skullflag:

Attachments

• AZgoldrog.jpg
    AZgoldrog.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 99
  • azgoldmeteorite.jpg
    azgoldmeteorite.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 75f4_1.jpg
    75f4_1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 281
  • rocks 052.jpg
    rocks 052.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 432
  • rocks 048.jpg
    rocks 048.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
O

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey thanks!

No worries about taking a photo with a cell phone...I don't have one! They say only 7% of the population does not, so I figure I am just 6% away from being a 1%'er! Now I just have to find that Mother Lode and I will get the other 6%! (LOL)

I do have a tripod and self-timer though, only because I take a lot of medicines that make me tremor. Over the years, despite having a crappy camera, and a $3 tripod bought at a thrift store, I have managed to take some decent photos like my wife's favorite, with us at a train station as if it we were in the 1940's. (You can be the judge on its quality though).

With the rock above, I think I made the mistake of wetting it down, and on another rock, using a secondary rock to position the main subject rock, which took away from THE rock I wanted to photograph. I loved the green felt, that is an excellent tip, so thank you.

Edited to say: This is the photo my wife loves, taken with a crappy point-and-shoot camera on a tripod with self-timer.

Train Station.jpg

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Photo light box easy/cheap to make

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My biggest problem with photographing rocks is getting them to hold still.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And they wont answer my questions or smile for the camara!:BangHead:

And they will not reveal their secrets until they are beaten (read as crushed) into submission.8-)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread