Thinking of prospecting for gold full-time, need serious advice - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree303Likes

Thread: Thinking of prospecting for gold full-time, need serious advice

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2016
    3189 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I really donít think this sounds like a well thought out plan. It will be different when your stomach has been growling for days and your broke down van is out of gas, so you canít get to town to sell your gold.
    Why ruin something you enjoy doing?
    Itís kind of like saying I really like to F. I think Iím going to get married and do it full time.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12193 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    You have to live on or close to your digs..and have access to good ground...plus years of experience.

And you better know other ways to earn some money. for the dry spells and weather delays.

Move the same dirt two or three times. Convince yourself not all gravel is worth running.

You better be ready to dig in the rain..walk a lot every day..Eat relativley warm soup.. fix things that break..not go crazy.

Learn to find or build cheap equipment that works . So, you can have money for the expensive stuff like a mine lab.. or anything motorized.

I promise none of those are found at the bottom of a couple buckets.

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1981 times
    Maybe get some others to share the take for the year give an idea how well folks are doin at this mining game.
    Gt....

us
    Aug 2012
    SO CAL
    SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, F19 and the Falcon
    1287 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gold tramp View Post
    Maybe get some others to share the take for the year give an idea how well folks are doin at this mining game.
    Gt....
    Are you still mining full time Herb?

us
    May 2014
    New Mexico
    82 times
    Prospecting
    I dredged in SW Colorado for 2 years. Basically same plan as you, little experience and a lot of drive to be out in the mountains. Biggest concerns I think you will run into, living on your claim. I had to get a plan of operations to live on mine saying I need to stay on location to keep my gear safe. Second, having a partner to make a go with you. A lot can go wrong out there ive been pinned under water without my partner i wouldn't be here typing this. As far as expenditures my monthly was around 800-900 a month for fuel, food, gear. Dont buy any equipment just go out and prospect an area for a month or so... then you will figure out what you really need 2 bring. Did i make millions, no. But i did live ok and living out there was one of the best times of my life.

us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
    610 times
    Prospecting
    I haven't tried it yet but I would say that if you take a hobby you love and make it your work it might be great or it will just become work and lose all the fun. I know everyone here including me at least thinks about be able to find gold the rest of his days but I think some dreams are meant to stay dreams. For me, going out is about the adventure and the unknown, what you might find, but by the end of a long day I'm tired of dirt and rocks and I'm ready for my bed. Not sure how long I could keep it up before I get sick of it. Of course if you found that amazing stash full of nuggets you'd never get tired, but it's real easy to get discuraged when you're not finiding anything.

us
    Nov 2010
    High Rockies
    GB2
    112 times
    $500 a month in gold is doable in 7 of the lower 48 if you have the proper knowledge, access to ground and equipment.
    With small scale, hand mining, the problem is, the minute you have to find gold to survive, pay your bills, eat etc. it takes all of the fun out of it. After a few weeks there is no way you will be productive mining by hand for more than 4 days per week (unless you hit some crazy good ground and work yourself to the bare and nutty bone). With gold prospecting, always error on the realistic and low side to be safe.
    So in the 3-5 factored days (bad weather, injury, breakdowns etc.) of mining per week you would have to find 3.5+ grams of gold per week to just barely scrape by.
    But you only live once...
    You've got a dream... go for it. No regrets!
    Plan ahead and make it happen.
    Try it out.
    Take the summer off while you still can. Go live in the woods n find some gold. 3 to 4 months should give you a pretty good taste of the life.
    Who knows, you might love the solitude n simplicity or get lucky!
    Cheers
    delnorter, OwenT, ratled and 4 others like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12193 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGC Miner View Post
    $500 a month in gold is doable in 7 of the lower 48 if you have the proper knowledge, access to ground and equipment.
    With small scale, hand mining, the problem is, the minute you have to find gold to survive, pay your bills, eat etc. it takes all of the fun out of it. After a few weeks there is no way you will be productive mining by hand for more than 4 days per week (unless you hit some crazy good ground and work yourself to the bare and nutty bone). With gold prospecting, always error on the realistic and low side to be safe.
    So in the 3-5 factored days (bad weather, injury, breakdowns etc.) of mining per week you would have to find 3.5+ grams of gold per week to just barely scrape by.
    But you only live once...
    You've got a dream... go for it. No regrets!
    Plan ahead and make it happen.
    Try it out.
    Take the summer off while you still can. Go live in the woods n find some gold. 3 to 4 months should give you a pretty good taste of the life.
    Who knows, you might love the solitude n simplicity or get lucky!
    Cheers

More than $500 easy

us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner.

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    841 times
    Prospecting
    I am self employed and the finding of gold contributes to it but by no means covers it all, this year I am planning on hitting it harder then ever before.
    ratled, gold tramp and Nitric like this.

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1877 times
    Prospecting
    I run a Gold Mining Guide Service and I make a reasonable profit.....for about 3 months a year. The other 9 I make zero.
    You can make a sustainable living at being a miner but the work is back breaking and the income is seasonal. You also have to calculate your overhead and deduct that from your gold sales.
    I dont know how much digging you do to get .5 grams a day but if it's more than about 30 minutes, you can make better money flipping burgers.
    Considering overhead expenses and labor required, I would consider about 1oz. per day to be the break even point.
    However, it is FUN, isnt it?...it all depends on where you dig

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1981 times
    Why does it always have to be about money ? Me I do it because I love mining, it wouldn't matter if I only found a mosquito eyes worth, I still chase n dig the rock.
    Gt...
    Strebs and akflyer like this.

Feb 2014
    2121 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gold tramp View Post
    Why does it always have to be about money ? Me I do it because I love mining, it wouldn't matter if I only found a mosquito eyes worth, I still chase n dig the rock.
    Gt...
    Prudent man rule........
    Never confuse motion with progress

Illegitimi non carborundum

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    1981 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ratled View Post
    Prudent man rule........
    That's for mining claims.
    Gt..

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    12193 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Hmm. If your doing it for income...How is it not about the money? i do it for the money...and pretty much because I have to..can't help it. I'm stuck in my ways.

I know a few guys who do it "full -time"

As in their only income. They do jus fine. they are single and gone all the time. Not an option for me.

I know quite a few like me who put them selves in the situation to make it one hell of a "supplemental" income.

I bought My house where it is. To get close to good claimable gold.

I do not spend more on it than I make from it. Its paid for all of my gear.. for years now. I did not pay cash for my SDC.

With four kids . Three going to school in three different places. I get pretty busy. Childcare is insane. So, we aren't gonna pay for that. Town is fifteen miles away.

I do just fine and do better the more I dig. thats how it works. the more time you spend the more you will get. Have time for the garden, Animals. And raising a small tribe. Plus hitting the claim at least four days a week makes for long days.

If my only option was gold. The kids would live in a hut.

That does not mean it isn't a viable way to make money and add to a household.

My wife is fully on board. Now that my store is closed.( it was an attempt to sell more gold ..but the overhead wasn't worth it). Face to face sells and collectors make for a good premium. I'll have my first year of " full-time" mining since the dredge ban. Gearing up to start crushing quartz. And bring in some "light" heavy equipment.

So, placer wet season...detecting in between... sniping the forks once the flooding subsides... crushing quartz when the waters gone...Push and scrape summer.

The only aspect with any real cost is the push and scrape.. fuel and equpment maintenance. The dozer is owned. It's a cute little guy perfect for Oaky Hillsides

Crusher is going on a trailer. It's in the works now. We'll have to sleep there while we have new ground open. But, at least its not miles from home.

We will most likely transport the milled material back to my place for processing. I'd rather carry dust than rocks in buckets.

I'm really looking forward to it.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    2074 times
    Prospecting
    I try to use high water time in the spring to get my firewood ready the upcoming winter. That way I can get out there soon as possible to the spots I want to check and gives me a better chance for good samples. I feel better when my wood is done and I can concentrate on the next task.
    When the run off happens here around the divide the creeks are deep and dirty and dangerous. I can sometimes hear rocks rolling along the creekbed and sometimes feel the vibrations up on the bank. Not somewhere you want to wade in with rubber boots and a heavy pack haha.
    It's funny how we use every season to our advantage to get SOMETHING done towards the gold.
    Winter is when I read all the cool mining books at the gunnison library and daydream and do research for future prospects.
    We moved to a new place a week before the snows started so I'm working on my firewood during the winter this year. It's been a real task at 42 inches of snow so far but its warm work and the winter sun can be real nice when it's out. Sometimes it's an adventure whether I want it or not.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links