Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree250Likes

Thread: Thinking of prospecting for gold full-time, need serious advice

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2015
    Montana
    etrac, GM 1000
    616 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybravo300 View Post
    I try to use high water time in the spring to get my firewood ready the upcoming winter. That way I can get out there soon as possible to the spots I want to check and gives me a better chance for good samples. I feel better when my wood is done and I can concentrate on the next task.

EXACTLY...!!!!! Got 80% of next years wood in last summer and have a few trees already scoped out to cut next spring over where I scratch around in summer. I'll grab on the way home from prospecting/digging next season, 2 birds-1 stone...…….. more scratching time!!!!!
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us
    Apr 2014
    SW Oregon
    508 times
    Prospecting
    ...............if I got an ounce a day I'd buy a new 4Runner.........but it's true about the enjoyment level. On average (don't tell BLM) I probably only mine half the time, the other half is just doing stuff that needs done. Like this morning helping my neighbor pull his car back on the road. He got lucky, another three feet and would of tumbled a hundred feet straight down the cliff, just another day in paradise.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    181 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    Hmm. If your doing it for income...How is it not about the money? i do it for the money...and pretty much because I have to..can't help it. I'm stuck in my ways.

I know a few guys who do it "full -time"

As in their only income. They do jus fine. they are single and gone all the time. Not an option for me.

I know quite a few like me who put them selves in the situation to make it one hell of a "supplemental" income.

I bought My house where it is. To get close to good claimable gold.

I do not spend more on it than I make from it. Its paid for all of my gear.. for years now. I did not pay cash for my SDC.

With four kids . Three going to school in three different places. I get pretty busy. Childcare is insane. So, we aren't gonna pay for that. Town is fifteen miles away.

I do just fine and do better the more I dig. thats how it works. the more time you spend the more you will get. Have time for the garden, Animals. And raising a small tribe. Plus hitting the claim at least four days a week makes for long days.

If my only option was gold. The kids would live in a hut.

That does not mean it isn't a viable way to make money and add to a household.

My wife is fully on board. Now that my store is closed.( it was an attempt to sell more gold ..but the overhead wasn't worth it). Face to face sells and collectors make for a good premium. I'll have my first year of " full-time" mining since the dredge ban. Gearing up to start crushing quartz. And bring in some "light" heavy equipment.

So, placer wet season...detecting in between... sniping the forks once the flooding subsides... crushing quartz when the waters gone...Push and scrape summer.

The only aspect with any real cost is the push and scrape.. fuel and equpment maintenance. The dozer is owned. It's a cute little guy perfect for Oaky Hillsides

Crusher is going on a trailer. It's in the works now. We'll have to sleep there while we have new ground open. But, at least its not miles from home.

We will most likely transport the milled material back to my place for processing. I'd rather carry dust than rocks in buckets.

I'm really looking forward to it.
    I am about the same way, just a bit different in that I Farm/Log/Gravel. I would not mind adding a quarry to that if the assay comes back good.

Like you, I have four daughters as well (5, 12,13,14), equipment, and just love the freedom having "retired" two years ago at age 42 from being a welder at a shipyard. I do as much as I can for myself, which means building a lot off my own equipment, and paying cash for everything. Overall it is not how much you make, but how much you spend in life.

The only things that have hit me hard that I did not plan for, was property taxes doubling these last few years, and then getting cancer for two years of the three years since I left the shipyard. It has been a struggle, but really...is struggle all that bad? "Perseverance builds integrity, and integrity builds character" says the big black book with very thin pages; the foundation of my life.
    Clay Diggins, delnorter and et1955 like this.

us
    Oct 2018
    Central Valley California
    103 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I know I'm still a newbie at all this and have so much more to learn, so I won't do this right away and will join a local prospecting club to learn more. But reading about how many of you are pretty old now really hammers the need for me to do this ASAP, I feel like I really, really need to do this while I'm still younger and have the health for it.
    et1955, delnorter, Hamfist and 1 others like this.

Mar 2016
    1965 times
    I mentioned using your nest egg on a down payment on some gold bearing land (for a lifetime of prospecting) rather than wasting it in food and living supplies for a couple summers.

There are people that buy unimproved land for the timber, harvest it, then sell the land to someone via. a down and monthly payments. Sometimes with a balloon payment clause. I know of several properties that were historically rich in gold being sold this way. Sometimes the buyer defaults. My dad sold a piece of property like this twice to the same person!

It can be a way for a young person to acquire land without having to swing a big un-secured loan.

For a about the price of new truck payment, you could have something of your own.
    N-Lionberger likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    May 2014
    Eastern Shore Maryland
    2130 times
    Maybe if you had enough savings or nest egg to be able to buy or lease equipment I wouldn’t consider it. But if you have the proper equipment and the knowledge and good people around you it would be a great way to spend your days but than there’s the reality check of what if it doesn’t work out or you get injured and can’t mine than what ? Just make sure you have a backup plan
    I would rather see an authentic broken scraper posted than a G-10 Artifake!

Mar 2016
    1965 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arrow86 View Post
    Maybe if you had enough savings or nest egg to be able to buy or lease equipment I wouldn’t consider it. But if you have the proper equipment and the knowledge and good people around you it would be a great way to spend your days but than there’s the reality check of what if it doesn’t work out or you get injured and can’t mine than what ? Just make sure you have a backup plan
    Sounds like a fun way to blow your savings. Even on good ground, it’s pretty tough to make much profit after you factor in the complete actual cost.
    Price of gold needs to go back up to $1700 in my opinion.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11241 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    "But reading about how many of you are pretty old now "

careful they don't like that.. crackin me up
    N-Lionberger, winners58 and et1955 like this.

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    1954 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    Yup, ya better mind yer manors .... I'll chase ya down and run over ya with my wheelchair kiddo.........
    We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

Which is also why we have the second
    amendment.

Mar 2013
    59 times
    You can make a dang good living working gold. As long as you got a government pension
    et1955, ratled and johnedoe like this.

us
    Oct 2018
    Central Valley California
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    "But reading about how many of you are pretty old now "

careful they don't like that.. crackin me up
    lol, yeah I don't mean to offend sorry. It's just that it's a personal thing for me. My dad is a very hard working man who worked non-stop in his career in his entire life and earned a lot of money but it just turned him into a bitter, broken man with many health issues now that he's old and retired. Can't even come with me on my prospecting trips even though he wants to. I really, really don't want to end up like that and regret not doing something like this while I'm still young.
    Last edited by firebird; Feb 14, 2019 at 08:52 PM.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11241 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    lol, yeah I don't mean to offend sorry. It's just that it's a personal thing for me. My dad is a very hard working man who worked non-stop in his career in his entire life and earned a lot of money but it just turned him into a bitter, broken man with many health issues now that he's old and retired. Can't even come with me on my prospecting trips even though he wants to. I really, really don't want to end up like that and regret not doing something like this while I'm still young.

no you have the right idea.

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    4204 times
    firebird,
    A few rules I try to maintain:

Payoff all debt and keep it that way.
    Payoff all debt and keep it that way!
    Being Physically Fit is a MUST for a prospector!
    Try to keep your pack weight to 50 lbs or less!!
    Make certain you can get help regardless of where you are! SPOT Messenger or similar device though none of them work from inside a mine.
    Do NOT be DUMB, protect your back AND Use your back properly! Do NOT bend over at the waist and pick up any objects from
    that position!
    Bending and twisting at the same moment are a NO NO!
    THINK about what you are doing before you do it and then think about it a second time before you do it!
    Can you protect yourself from Whatever is out there? [any 'Pack of Animals' including dogs will require a firearm]
    Do you have a really Good first aid kit with you.
    If you go out in the Winter time, during bad weather, at high water remember - Ma Nature is sweet but Lethal in those conditions!
    Always be able to start a fire under ANY weather conditions! Think about what you need during any given trip and prepare for it First!
    Fire Starters: Ferro Rod, paper egg carton/fill with DRY sawdust/melt old wax/pour wax over DRY sawdust to completely coat sawdust & carton/
    let wax cool completely and break each egg cup away as needed/light the single egg cup (but how do you light it)
    I've hiked out on a broken leg with a severely sprained ankle on the same leg carrying my 85 lb pack. This was NOT FUN! But I did it. A 6' long
    hiking staff really helped, have the mind set that you Can get out and being physically fit did the rest (2 codine pills helped)!
    Being able to see at night requires a Good High Quality LED AAA flashlight/headlamp (buy Petzel or Black Diamond $20 and up)
    Being out there means being Self Sufficient in Many Different Ways.
    Stay Safe..................63bkpkr (Oh I'm only 75 years of age and I'm still doing stuff)
    Last edited by 63bkpkr; Feb 16, 2019 at 11:10 AM.
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10317 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 63bkpkr View Post
    firebird,
    A few rules I try to maintain:

Payoff all debt and keep it that way.
    Payoff all debt and keep it that way!
    Being Physically Fit is a MUST for a prospector!
    Try to keep your pack weight to 50 lbs or less!!
    Make certain you can get help regardless of where you are! SPOT Messenger or similar device though none of them work from inside a mine.
    Do NOT be DUMB, protect your back AND Use your back properly! Do NOT bend over at the waist and pick up any objects from
    that position!
    Bending and twisting at the same moment are a NO NO!
    THINK about what you are doing before you do it and then think about it a second time before you do it!
    Can you protect yourself from Whatever is out there? [any 'Pack of Animals' including dogs will require a firearm]
    Do you have a really Good first aid kit with you.
    If you go out in the Winter time, during bad weather, at high water remember - Ma Nature is sweet but Lethal in those conditions!
    Always be able to start a fire under ANY weather conditions! Think about what you need during any given trip and prepare for it First!
    Fire Starters: Ferro Rod, paper egg carton/fill with DRY sawdust/melt old wax/pour wax over DRY sawdust to completely coat sawdust & carton/
    let wax cool completely and break each egg cup away as needed/light the single egg cup (but how do you light it)
    I've hiked out on a broken leg with a severely sprained ankle on the same leg carrying my 85 lb pack. This was NOT FUN! But I did it. A 6' long
    hiking staff really helped and being physically fit did the rest!
    Being able to see at night requires a Good High Quality LED AAA flashlight (buy Petzel or Black Diamond $20 and up)
    Being out there means being Self Sufficient in Many Different Ways.
    Stay Safe..................63bkpkr (Oh I'm only 75 years of age and I'm still doing stuff)
    This. So this.

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    181 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    I am 44 years old, but was able to retire at 42 years old due to not having debt, and planning for early retirement early in life. At the shipyard where I worked, the average pay out after retirement was 18 months. In other words people only lived; on average, 18 months after retiring.

Fooey with that!

I lost my health to cancer now, which Doctor's say I will never recover, and why my views are different than most on here. I also think many wished they could do what you want to do, but have convinced themselves they cannot for a host of reasons, and so bring their reasons up, why you should not.

What is the worst that could happen? Plan accordingly! (You got to have a plan)

Your greatest statistical chance of dying, is actually getting in the truck and driving to your claim after all.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links