Thinking of prospecting for gold full-time, need serious advice

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten so obsessed with gold now that I'm literally having dreams about it almost every night. Can't believe I lived all this years here in California not realizing there was gold only an hour away in the Sierra Nevadas. Almost every single free day I'm not working I spend going out just shoveling gravel and taking it back home but even with all the hard work the best I've gotten is just around 0.5 grams a day so it's not exactly profitable. But still, I love it so much, never felt this alive in years just being out there with myself(and the pooping bears). Even with all the backbreaking labor and dangers I feel so happy that I now seriously think I could do this for the rest of my life and never have to wageslave for someone else ever again. Plus I have enough money saved up now that I can survive for several years and not have a job.

Realistically though, can I actually find enough gold to do this full time? If I start buying claims that would be richer than public areas, how much could I really pull out of the ground working without any machinery and just shoveling gravel manually? I'm only 34 right now too so I'm still young enough to rough it out there and work the entire day. Should I also have to worry about the law if I buy a claim and do this full time, just living on it with a van? At the bare minimum I would be just fine with getting $500 a month worth of gold. Serious advice would be welcome, thank you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"But reading about how many of you are pretty old now "

:laughing7:

careful they don't like that.. crackin me up

lol, yeah I don't mean to offend sorry. It's just that it's a personal thing for me. My dad is a very hard working man who worked non-stop in his career in his entire life and earned a lot of money but it just turned him into a bitter, broken man with many health issues now that he's old and retired. Can't even come with me on my prospecting trips even though he wants to. I really, really don't want to end up like that and regret not doing something like this while I'm still young.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol, yeah I don't mean to offend sorry. It's just that it's a personal thing for me. My dad is a very hard working man who worked non-stop in his career in his entire life and earned a lot of money but it just turned him into a bitter, broken man with many health issues now that he's old and retired. Can't even come with me on my prospecting trips even though he wants to. I really, really don't want to end up like that and regret not doing something like this while I'm still young.

no you have the right idea.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
firebird,
A few rules I try to maintain:

Payoff all debt and keep it that way.
Payoff all debt and keep it that way!
Being Physically Fit is a MUST for a prospector!
Try to keep your pack weight to 50 lbs or less!!
Make certain you can get help regardless of where you are! SPOT Messenger or similar device though none of them work from inside a mine.
Do NOT be DUMB, protect your back AND Use your back properly! Do NOT bend over at the waist and pick up any objects from
that position!
Bending and twisting at the same moment are a NO NO!
THINK about what you are doing before you do it and then think about it a second time before you do it!
Can you protect yourself from Whatever is out there? [any 'Pack of Animals' including dogs will require a firearm]
Do you have a really Good first aid kit with you.
If you go out in the Winter time, during bad weather, at high water remember - Ma Nature is sweet but Lethal in those conditions!
Always be able to start a fire under ANY weather conditions! Think about what you need during any given trip and prepare for it First!
Fire Starters: Ferro Rod, paper egg carton/fill with DRY sawdust/melt old wax/pour wax over DRY sawdust to completely coat sawdust & carton/
let wax cool completely and break each egg cup away as needed/light the single egg cup (but how do you light it)
I've hiked out on a broken leg with a severely sprained ankle on the same leg carrying my 85 lb pack. This was NOT FUN! But I did it. A 6' long
hiking staff really helped, have the mind set that you Can get out and being physically fit did the rest (2 codine pills helped)!
Being able to see at night requires a Good High Quality LED AAA flashlight/headlamp (buy Petzel or Black Diamond $20 and up)
Being out there means being Self Sufficient in Many Different Ways.
Stay Safe..................63bkpkr (Oh I'm only 75 years of age and I'm still doing stuff) :hello:

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
firebird,
A few rules I try to maintain:

Payoff all debt and keep it that way.
Payoff all debt and keep it that way!
Being Physically Fit is a MUST for a prospector!
Try to keep your pack weight to 50 lbs or less!!
Make certain you can get help regardless of where you are! SPOT Messenger or similar device though none of them work from inside a mine.
Do NOT be DUMB, protect your back AND Use your back properly! Do NOT bend over at the waist and pick up any objects from
that position!
Bending and twisting at the same moment are a NO NO!
THINK about what you are doing before you do it and then think about it a second time before you do it!
Can you protect yourself from Whatever is out there? [any 'Pack of Animals' including dogs will require a firearm]
Do you have a really Good first aid kit with you.
If you go out in the Winter time, during bad weather, at high water remember - Ma Nature is sweet but Lethal in those conditions!
Always be able to start a fire under ANY weather conditions! Think about what you need during any given trip and prepare for it First!
Fire Starters: Ferro Rod, paper egg carton/fill with DRY sawdust/melt old wax/pour wax over DRY sawdust to completely coat sawdust & carton/
let wax cool completely and break each egg cup away as needed/light the single egg cup (but how do you light it)
I've hiked out on a broken leg with a severely sprained ankle on the same leg carrying my 85 lb pack. This was NOT FUN! But I did it. A 6' long
hiking staff really helped and being physically fit did the rest!
Being able to see at night requires a Good High Quality LED AAA flashlight (buy Petzel or Black Diamond $20 and up)
Being out there means being Self Sufficient in Many Different Ways.
Stay Safe..................63bkpkr (Oh I'm only 75 years of age and I'm still doing stuff) :hello:

This. So this.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I am 44 years old, but was able to retire at 42 years old due to not having debt, and planning for early retirement early in life. At the shipyard where I worked, the average pay out after retirement was 18 months. In other words people only lived; on average, 18 months after retiring.

Fooey with that!

I lost my health to cancer now, which Doctor's say I will never recover, and why my views are different than most on here. I also think many wished they could do what you want to do, but have convinced themselves they cannot for a host of reasons, and so bring their reasons up, why you should not.

What is the worst that could happen? Plan accordingly! (You got to have a plan)

Your greatest statistical chance of dying, is actually getting in the truck and driving to your claim after all.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi OreCart,
Cancer Sucks!
FYI - in Rhode Island there is a Doctor Damian E. Dupuy that works with Patients who have Cancer. IF A Person happens to have Cancer Tumors then he uses several devices to kill the tumor. One that I know of is made by MedWaves Inc. of San Diego CA, it uses MicroWave energy to kill the tumor in a few minutes. It is a one time procedure as the Tumor is DEAD when the patient leaves to do whatever they want to do. The MedWaves Device & Procedure have been on the market since late 2005 so they've a ton of actual procedure data to Prove it is a safe device. Now they are using the device/procedure on previously Inoperable Tumors, like Tumors on/in the: spine, eye, brain, etc. with good results

Again just an FYI. Oh, keep on trying, keep on doing as without that frame of mind not much of any good is going to take place.

Heck, my Chiropractor tells me that when he looks at the X-Rays of my spine he does not know how I do what I do (backpacking, prospecting, climbing, having any kind of a life) But I am still doing what I want to do and yes I must constantly kick myself in the backside for not doing what I KNOW IS GOOD FOR ME. At times (some might say most of the time) I can be a real jackass! I love it out in the mountains and along crystal clear rivers so I will just keep on trying!!!!!!.................63bkpkr

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospecting for gold wont pay until you find a place worth mining. No one is going to sell a high paying claim that is affordable.
Best thing you can do is prospect for your own claim for $155....then quit your job and mine it. Good luck!
If you buy a mining claim you are only paying for someone elses prospecting.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Being able to see at night requires a Good High Quality LED AAA flashlight/headlamp (buy Petzel or Black Diamond $20 and up)

AAA battery lights suck. I've bought over six of these headlights and have a dozen backup rechargeable batteries. I keep them all over the place and it's simple to toss a couple extra batteries in your pocket. Once you try them you will never go back............................

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20000LM-Zo...ry-USA-/312053155256?var=&hash=item48a7d145b8

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mendo, that is an interesting looking headlamp for < $10.00! I used to think that the small penlight's using AAA batteries were worse than useless! Then my son showed up in camp with one of the new LED headlamps with its included circuitry and it lasted and lasted and lasted, etc. so I purchased one for myself, a Black Diamond Brand. I purchased that light in 2000 and I still use it though I'm no longer pleased with the battery box being at the back of the head

As the newer models of BackPacking (and other end use's) became available the batteries were in with the light making them more user friendly and compact I've used other brands of head lamps but the Petzel and Black Diamond electronic circuits cause the batteries to last for Many Hours and in some of the ones a little above the $20.00 price I listed they have adjustable amounts of lighting so the batteries last even longer. Some offer white light as well as a Red led selection for map reading without spooking animals. Another option that some of the lamps offer is a Strobe setting which only nibbles at the battery energy and yet makes you Visible all Through the Night so the Rescue Team can find you quicker (True Story Here!!).

All of these Head Mounted lights are worth investigating as they leave both hands free to attend to other chores while trying to perform tasks in the pitch black of night (from wiping your butt, reading a book while laying down to aiming your .454 Casull Revolver), check um all out!

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parker followed the dream & made it happen.best of luck.
Season total so far...4,600 plus ozs.
https://www.msn.com/ar-eg/news/nort...week-ends-with-a-huge-pile-of-gold/vp-BBTi9Lx
I seriously think GR is a poor example of someone mining profitably.
Maybe if you selectively pick and choose what you believe is actually real.
They could be finding more or less.

We ALL know the majority of reality TV is scripted acting.
What makes you believe they would not rent gold and use it in the cleanup “scenes”??
Just saying they provide absolutely no reason why anybody should believe any of it.

I came to the conclusion that Todd Hoffman’s gold shown while he was mining in Oregon was all Alaskan gold. Same gold shown over and over poured on the scales.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seriously think GR is a poor example of someone mining profitably.
Maybe if you selectively pick and choose what you believe is actually real.
They could be finding more or less.

We ALL know the majority of reality TV is scripted acting.
What makes you believe they would not rent gold and use it in the cleanup “scenes”??
Just saying they provide absolutely no reason why anybody should believe any of it.

I came to the conclusion that Todd Hoffman’s gold shown while he was mining in Oregon was all Alaskan gold. Same gold shown over and over poured on the scales.

Think what you want.Age-24 NET worth -8 Million !:) https://thewealthcircle.com/parker-schnabel-net-worth/

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think what you want.Age-24 NET worth -8 Million !:) https://thewealthcircle.com/parker-schnabel-net-worth/

you should look a little deeper. into that.

His worth was created by being talent for the show.

He has not profitted that much from mining.

People watch the show and actually go off of the gross total production.

When any of them actually start giving their "cash cost" to produce an ounce.

You can have a realistic number.

Theres a reason that number isn't included in the show.

Todd was throwing huge numbers around.. And they were on reworked ground that had zero reporting that it could come near the numbers given.

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should look a little deeper. into that.

His worth was created by being talen for the show.

He has not profitted that much from mining.

People watch the show and actually go off of the gross total production.

When any of them actually start giving their "cash cost" to produce an ounce.

You can have a realistic number.

Theres a reason that number isn't included in the show.

Todd was throwing huge numbers around.. And they were on reworked ground that had zero reporting that it could come near the numbers given.

I have looked deeper https://www.maxim.com/maxim-man/parker-schnabel-gold-rush-13-million-klondike-trails-2017-3
And Parker gets paid 25K per show....Do the math

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have looked deeper https://www.maxim.com/maxim-man/parker-schnabel-gold-rush-13-million-klondike-trails-2017-3

How many millions of dollars of equipment do you think are running around on that operation?

Not saying none of its real. But the gold they were pouring on the scale at the Oregon mine was not found in that ground. I know that much for sure.

The guys on pawn stars are also all millionaires.

Inherited a turn key gold mine including equipment and made $4 mil letting someone film him work and attempt to act.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Parker has appeared in 188 episodes. That's 4.7 million dollars in pay.

On Gold Rush he has "mined" $13 million dollars in gold.

His net worth is estimated at $2 million.

$13 million (gold) + 4.7 million (actors pay) = $17.7 million gross.

Miner's math: Parker's gross income during the show $17.7 million. His current net worth $2 million. Parker spent $2.7 million dollars more mining gold during that period than he produced in gold mined. He lost money on the mining operation. If he had just been mining he would have gone out of business years ago.

Wanna bet a lot of his $2 million "net worth" is tied up in equipment and leases? :BangHead:

Heavy Pans

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With my 2019 total currently sitting at 2.7 grams, I'm doing better than Parker in terms of gold mining profit. Time to go pro!

EDIT: Had to replace a cross-threaded drain cap on my WX15 this week. That took a nearly 10% bite out of my bottom line :/

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parker has appeared in 188 episodes. That's 4.7 million dollars in pay.

On Gold Rush he has "mined" $13 million dollars in gold.

His net worth is estimated at $2 million.

$13 million (gold) + 4.7 million (actors pay) = $17.7 million gross.

Miner's math: Parker's gross income during the show $17.7 million. His current net worth $2 million. Parker spent $2.7 million dollars more mining gold during that period than he produced in gold mined. He lost money on the mining operation. If he had just been mining he would have gone out of business years ago.

Wanna bet a lot of his $2 million "net worth" is tied up in equipment and leases? :BangHead:

Heavy Pans

Bummer is if he would have quit after season two. ( mining for tv producers)

He would probably be doing ok as far as the average miner goes. With that much gear and the fact that he had been around a placer operation for a while.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no experience mining. All I know about it is what I've read in these threads. But ....I do know about taking chances. I've had it and lost it a few times in life(so far). You don't get any "do overs". If this is your dream? Go for it. That might be the worst advice in the world. I have failed at many brain fart ideas..:laughing7: I wouldn't change it. At this point in life I have others that depend on me and couldn't just pack it up and hitch hike or hop a train to a gold area.

I'm a believer in you only live once, go for it!! The worst that could happen is that you have to start over again and go back to work...no big deal.. It's better than sitting wondering if it could have worked. I'd rather fail than wonder. That does change with kids...So, I can't do these types of gambles the same way anymore. haha

added...You could also document your adventure in a journal or youtube...Then possibly sell your story or gain a following with them funding part of it for the entertainment...I'm watching people do that everyday and making a living at it, some are making a real good living in any category....:occasion14: Then they are able to pay for or supplement their hobby and lifestyle. People love to watch others take chances on what they only dream about. Get a big enough following and then people will sponsor it if your entertaining to watch. But the video's have to be somewhat upbeat and likeable. Two examples ...One is likeable happy, upbeat and he makes about 12 grand a month, another can't control his language is kind of depressing to watch and makes $0 and can't figure out why. :laughing7:

Last edited:

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe we will all get a chance at Miner-Acting.

I saw that once, a producer came onto Forestry Forum and posed the question on who wanted to be in a future logging show. There was jokes and whatnot, but the Pelletier's from Maine saw the post and agreed to it, and ultimately got paid for doing the show...around $70,000 an episode.

They however were doing well; they move about 5000 cord of wood per week, show or no show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions