Thinking of prospecting for gold full-time, need serious advice

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten so obsessed with gold now that I'm literally having dreams about it almost every night. Can't believe I lived all this years here in California not realizing there was gold only an hour away in the Sierra Nevadas. Almost every single free day I'm not working I spend going out just shoveling gravel and taking it back home but even with all the hard work the best I've gotten is just around 0.5 grams a day so it's not exactly profitable. But still, I love it so much, never felt this alive in years just being out there with myself(and the pooping bears). Even with all the backbreaking labor and dangers I feel so happy that I now seriously think I could do this for the rest of my life and never have to wageslave for someone else ever again. Plus I have enough money saved up now that I can survive for several years and not have a job.

Realistically though, can I actually find enough gold to do this full time? If I start buying claims that would be richer than public areas, how much could I really pull out of the ground working without any machinery and just shoveling gravel manually? I'm only 34 right now too so I'm still young enough to rough it out there and work the entire day. Should I also have to worry about the law if I buy a claim and do this full time, just living on it with a van? At the bare minimum I would be just fine with getting $500 a month worth of gold. Serious advice would be welcome, thank you.

Upvote 0

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
treadmills are for hamsters

another old man with a mixed bag of experiences; well, for someone of sound body . . . .

if you want gold, you must go to where 1) gold exists, 2) legal to prospect, AND legal to mine, 3) you have good prospects to keep what you mine
not talking so much about permissions as a legal framework within which the government will not obstruct you

as a newbie you have a great deal to learn, suggest a job in AK to learn for a season; you must understand what works, and what does not
once you have a measure of proficiency and understanding you can make a choice, mining or prospecting -> they are different
if you want to mine get your own property, raise capital - and start taking mining lessons
I am quite unsure that prospecting is related to prosperity.
(Does J. Porter make more from gold or his Minelab videos ? no idea, just a ?)

it really does not matter how much gold is in CA if you cannot mine it; I am in Costa Rica with gold out the wazoo, but no mining allowed
lots of countries with lots of gold, but they want it as much as you
are you prepared to learn another language, different customs, brand new friends (who may not be as they seem), etc. etc.
much easier to stay within the US, or perhaps down-under

husband your savings, you will need them for capital expenditures

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread