Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree572Likes

Thread: Ive been Claim Jumped!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Make America Great Again

Apr 2013
    Oregon
    3704 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Just to look at things objectively, from my memory of other threads/posts of Jerry's
    the claim had changed hands from claim flippers (filed just to resell) Jerry wanted an honest claim,
    (prudent man - prospect, find it worth investing time and labor) so he refiled as a new claim,
    but for some time it showed both claims in the BLM registry, nether BLM or the county can give legal advice,
    they can and do look things up for people, it's possible the original claim popped up and looked like nothing had been filed on it,
    from the time of the original location, even before Jerry purchased it was not open ground,
    so its a learning experience for Steve, due diligence is something that takes time to learn,
    Last edited by winners58; Jan 29, 2019 at 02:39 PM.
    " A pessimist is an optimist with experience "

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    395 times
    Prospecting
    I learned a lot from this, so thanks everyone.

Maybe Ronald Regan said it best, "Trust, but verify!"
    Asmbandits likes this.

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    2302 times
    Prospecting
    Hi again Klondi, We all have made mistakes. I have been doing this for 50 years now...and for the most part I thought that USFS lands were their lands and that their Code of Federal Regulations were law. Almost the same as those who think the BLM is the authority on claim ownership. It was not until I got on a forum many many years ago and met Clay that I began to really understand all the legal claim stuff and that CFRs and BLM rules are not law. One gets a big headache understanding the mining stuff/crud/policies/laws/intrusions/signage/locating/state/etc etc etc. It is often said by many that a miner needs to be a legal expert in order to mine/prospect and have a claim.

On top of all this you have Gov agencies willing to give you advice as though it were gospel. Unfortunately they won't/can't stand by their advice. Not a whole lot different than calling the IRS and asking a question...and each time getting a different answer. Understanding you made a reasonable attempt to locate a claim you thought was abandoned...you fell into the Gov "fake authoritative experience" ….kinda like the "fake news non-verify before reporting".

So Klondi I might suggest you join the My Landmatters crowd and get the "claims advantage reports". There are lots of open claims and I would bet Clay would even be kind enough to steer you along in locating a good claim...….he is the expert.

Bejay

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7941 times
    The Truth
    Put a copy of the movie "The Hanging Tree" in his mail box.Though it isnt exactly about claim jumping he'll get the idea

Mar 2014
    NorCal
    Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
    2185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by winners58 View Post
    Just to look at things objectively, from my memory of other threads/posts of Jerry's
    the claim had changed hands from claim flippers (filed just to resell) Jerry wanted an honest claim,
    (prudent man - prospect, find it worth investing time and labor) so he refiled as a new claim,
    but for some time it showed both claims in the BLM registry, nether BLM or the county can give legal advice,
    they can and do look things up for people, it's possible the original claim popped up and looked like nothing had been filed on it,
    from the time of the original location, even before Jerry purchased it was not open ground,
    so its a learning experience for Steve, due diligence is something that takes time to learn,
    This is all true, I purchased the claim and found issues with it over time of learning lots on here. I learned enough that I found holes in the paper trail so I re filled to ensure a solid starting point from there forward with the help of some very knowledgeable people in this matter. That was in 2016, Ive owned the claim since 10-9-14 when it was purchased under the name "Rock Creek 6". I let it lapse and re located to ensure validity under the name "Rock Creek Placer" back in 2016, and I made darn sure to stay current with my yearly filings..

What you would have seen a while back looking at it from a map view like on mylandmatters was that "rock creek 6" was there but invalid during this time.. In reality everything on the ground and in filing was done and correct, but blm takes their time and made a mistake when they did finally get around to entering my data it was incorrect and this made it to where nothing showed up at all for a short while. they have since corrected this, totally on there end and affects nothing in actual validity.

Being the case though, the info that Steven used or would have had according to his story is my location notice from discovery monument. This info should have been sufficient as my CAMC and county id doc numbers have always been there and are reference able regardless. The location notice for "Rock Creek Placer" was in there and what he had to go off of, not the old closed "rock creek 6" location notice... This was valid, proper information, how it lead someone to perceived open ground is beyond me..
    Come check out my California Mother lode Adventures!---->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4U...aqFXriPUONmEtw

us
    Jan 2019
    Maine
    395 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmbandits View Post
    This is all true, I purchased the claim and found issues with it over time of learning lots on here. I learned enough that I found holes in the paper trail so I re filled to ensure a solid starting point from there forward with the help of some very knowledgeable people in this matter. That was in 2016, Ive owned the claim since 10-9-14 when it was purchased under the name "Rock Creek 6". I let it lapse and re located to ensure validity under the name "Rock Creek Placer" back in 2016, and I made darn sure to stay current with my yearly filings..

What you would have seen a while back looking at it from a map view like on mylandmatters was that "rock creek 6" was there but invalid during this time.. In reality everything on the ground and in filing was done and correct, but blm takes their time and made a mistake when they did finally get around to entering my data it was incorrect and this made it to where nothing showed up at all for a short while. they have since corrected this, totally on there end and affects nothing in actual validity.

Being the case though, the info that Steven used or would have had according to his story is my location notice from discovery monument. This info should have been sufficient as my CAMC and county id doc numbers have always been there and are reference able regardless. The location notice for "Rock Creek Placer" was in there and what he had to go off of, not the old closed "rock creek 6" location notice... This was valid, proper information, how it lead someone to perceived open ground is beyond me..
    You know...some young buck attorney is going to read this and realize he could make a killing doing "claim insurance" like they do on deeds (called Title Insurance). I am not really sure how it works, I opt out of it most of the time, but I deal with Warrantee Deeds only too.

us
    Oct 2015
    Northern Nevada
    MineLab GPZ 7000 Garrett ATX Pro
    455 times
    Prospecting
    Something important was mentioned earlier about someone coming in after you put your Notice of Location up.

Yes they could tear out your NOL and put theirs up before you file with the county and BLM.

For this reason I take photos of the NOL on-site with a date/time stamp. Yes a date/time stamp can be modified but I also have gas and other receipts showing I was in the area on that day.

Any reasonable judge would see the receipts and photos and know my NOL picture was valid.

What a great group of prospectors we have here. I swear without you guys I would have been one lost miner.

Chuck

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11589 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Photos should be taken by someone "not party to" the claim

But, I say even if you hit a spot alone and are gonna claim it take pictures then too.

Even if you make discovery and come back to place your monument athe next day. Just document the actual discovery.

Pictures are pictures. It shows intent.
    Heck make a video with you stating what you are doing.

It's not hard to find some one willing to go with you for a day and take a few pictures for you.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10053 times
    Prospecting
    Pictures are useful but without an impartial witness there is no way to verify when the picture was taken. With an impartial witness you can prove you located on a certain day whether you took pictures or not.

I suggest that locators take someone along, when they stake, that is:
    1. Over the age of 18.
    2. Not a party to the claim.
    3. Willing to view the entire process of staking.
    4. Willing to sign a statement about the days staking activities when staking is completed.
    5. Willing and able to appear in court and attest to the facts about the staking activity, time, place etc. at a later date.

Claim boundaries have been defended, in court, on the basis of a photo for more than 100 years. Photos are pretty good evidence of where you placed your claims stakes if the photo shows permanent features in relation to the stake, that can be important evidence in a boundary dispute.

I don't know of any cases where the date of location has been established by a photograph alone. You really need a fellow human to provide evidence of the staking date if there is a dispute.

This situation that Asmbandits started this thread to discuss is far from unusual. In many popular areas more than 30% of the claims have been top filed. It's a fact of life that this happens. Anyone who has been in the mining business for any period of time can relate that from personal experience. Being prepared to defend against claim jumpers can only truly be done at the time of location.

In this particular instance Asmbandits doesn't need a witness to prove he is the senior locator. The time difference in the two locations is so great that no court could be confused as to who has the prior right to the minerals.

These type of overclaims are almost always due to ignorance about the proper way to locate a claim. Generally these type overclaims are more of a nuisance than a real threat to mineral ownership. That doesn't make the situation any less stressful but in a wider perspective they are generally easier to resolve than a dispute about who located first.

There is no recourse in criminal law to an overclaim. It is strictly a civil matter. It doesn't matter that someone took your signs or dug a hole on your claim. A person locating a claim on the mistaken belief that it was open to location would do all the things a new locator would do - like taking down old notices and sampling minerals for a discovery. The police/sheriff have no role in settling adverse mining claim locations. Only a court can give you relief and your property back, with damages, if proven.

This situation is one of the many ways the rubber meets the road when it comes to occupation of your claim. The overclaimer that knows they are challenging a senior claimant has 30 days after locating to serve and sue the senior claimant or their claim has no effect - it's null and void.

The problem comes when that overclaim is mined by the overclaimer or the junior claim is sold to another person. That creates a cloud on your mineral title. A major portion of your duty to occupy your claim is to clear any clouds on the title. This leads to a counter duty to remove those adverse claims from your minerals. That can be done with dialogue and communication but if that doesn't work your only real alternative is to sue in civil court to remove the top filer. That's a pretty easy win in this situation but if you don't do it you are complicit to the degree that you recognize the overclaim yet didn't fully occupy your claim.

The minerals are free for the discovery and staking but the cost of maintenance and occupation can be very high. I hope Asmbandits can settle this amicably. If not I suspect the top filer is going to get a quick hard lesson on the true nature of mineral rights.

Heavy Pans

us
    Oct 2015
    Northern Nevada
    455 times
    Prospecting
    Clay I swear you never stop teaching me new things.

Your time and efforts are appreciated.

Chuck

Mar 2016
    2418 times
    Clay what code are you referring to when you say the overclaimer has 30 days to sue the senior claim holder or their overclaim is invalid?
    State? Federal?
    Goldwasher likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10053 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Clay what code are you referring to when you say the overclaimer has 30 days to sue the senior claim holder or their overclaim is invalid?
    State? Federal?
    No Code - just the law. 1872 Mining Act:
    It shall be the duty of the adverse claimant, within thirty days after filing his claim, to commence proceedings in a court of competent jurisdiction, to determine the question of the right of possession, and prosecute the same with reasonable diligence to final judgment; and a failure to do shall be a waiver of his adverse claim.
    Heavy Pans
    Asmbandits, Rail Dawg and et1955 like this.

Mar 2014
    NorCal
    Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
    2185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    There is no recourse in criminal law to an overclaim. It is strictly a civil matter. It doesn't matter that someone took your signs or dug a hole on your claim. A person locating a claim on the mistaken belief that it was open to location would do all the things a new locator would do - like taking down old notices and sampling minerals for a discovery. The police/sheriff have no role in settling adverse mining claim locations. Only a court can give you relief and your property back, with damages, if proven.
    Thanks Barry, I will say that this part of what you said has me thinking that there must be some protection for mineral trespass. While possibly not applicable in my situation for whatever reason that im not sure of, basically this statement makes it seem like anyone could commit mineral trespass while also just top filing and this would excuse it?
    et1955 and Goldwasher like this.
    Come check out my California Mother lode Adventures!---->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4U...aqFXriPUONmEtw

Mar 2016
    2418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    No Code - just the law. 1872 Mining Act:

Heavy Pans
    Thanks
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Oct 2015
    Northern Nevada
    455 times
    Prospecting
    Back in the old days we as a district would hold "court" on a prospector who attempted to claim jump.

Of course leaving a shovel on a claim was enough to warn others to stay away...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links