GR white water: Father/son dynamic

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I love this show. I really do. It brings so much of hidden facets of humanity. Especially that of the father and son. Dustin said it best when he said, (adlibbing) Fred thinks he is in a competition with me, and I'm not even in it.

Why is there so much friction between them? Is it a passing of the torch kind of thing or a father's perspective that his son doesn't know any better?

I think Dustin is right. To dig around the bridge makes sense as I think that is where the gold would lay. The rocks can be easily removed if the would just invest in a conveyor system. Two teams underwater doing 4-6 hour each shifts(2 shifts) they would be up to their neck in gold.

Upvote 0

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wish the Discovery Channel would quit the reality show game and give some interesting programs on gold mines that are actually functional! The only thing I found interesting in the entire thing was Beets playing with those bucket ladder dredges, I'd like to see an entire program about the restoration and operating of antique bucket ladder dredges without the fake BS drama,

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Drama....
Gold Rush and all others are not a dramatic show about gold mining.
They are a Gold mining themed show about drama.
Without the drama there would just be hours of boring video and no one would watch it

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A

Audozer

I too would much rather watch the show as a documentary instead of having to deal with the theatrics of the two main guys arguing over every damn thing. I would absolutely love an actual documentary-series on modern and historical gold mining

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
GR White Water is a style of mining not possible until fairly recently. The water is so cold that a traditional wetsuit or drysuit will not keep you warm enough without hot water circulation. For safety, these guys should also have a backup man submerged for each man in the water. Steel cables (wire rope) should be replaced with Amsteel Blue or other synthetic which will not stretch before failure. Their removal of larger cobbles in the subsurface overburden is pretty slow and inefficient. They would be better off with heavy synthetic mesh bags lifted from the water when filled and moved to the riverbank with an overhead trolley cable.

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
So only a few want to talk about fred and dustin?

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The production company wanted me to be in that show and I turned them down....what a trainwreck of a mining op they have there.

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought Fred was a dick for taking the Hoffman’s claim after the first season, then I realized that the Hoffman’s were lost and i started likening Fred. When Dustin first came on I liked him, but now he just seems like a cocky mofo. However
, I enjoy the show for what it is

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought Fred was a dick for taking the Hoffman’s claim after the first season, then I realized that the Hoffman’s were lost and i started likening Fred. When Dustin first came on I liked him, but now he just seems like a cocky mofo. However

Fred is a good miner but too set in his ways to try anything outside his bubble and misses a lot of opportunity.
Dustin is more open minded but doesn't know anything and cant learn
Makes for good drama

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used

That was a wise business decision! Very smart!

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap, did you see the gold nuggets they showed in the preview?? Not flakes, pickers but freakin' nuggets! Can't wait for next week, it's finally paying off!

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank's Firebird for the Gold Trails link. I am a member of GPAA and didn't know about this series. It's great! Of course the views are low, that's why you will never see this kind of stuff on mainstream TV.

A

Audozer

I honestly feel like Dustin is a huge douche bag. That being said, I think Fred is a very smart and safe individual that doesn’t receive the respect his years and years of experience demands. IF the show isn’t scripted like I believe it is, I think someone is going to (or needs to) hand Dustin his own ass for being a disrespectful prick. There’s no room for the drama that guy brings to the table in the setting those guys are trying to make a living in. Due to the potential income associated with the show and potential gold, the first time he came to me and wrongfully accused me of anything would be the same day I left the job site and would also be the day he got well acquainted with my lawyer

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly feel like Dustin is a huge douche bag. That being said, I think Fred is a very smart and safe individual that doesn’t receive the respect his years and years of experience demands. IF the show isn’t scripted like I believe it is, I think someone is going to (or needs to) hand Dustin his own ass for being a disrespectful prick. There’s no room for the drama that guy brings to the table in the setting those guys are trying to make a living in. Due to the potential income associated with the show and potential gold, the first time he came to me and wrongfully accused me of anything would be the same day I left the job site and would also be the day he got well acquainted with my lawyer

What is a lawyer going to do? Ya'll must have worked some pretty cushy jobs to think that Dustin is that big of a Dbag. You have never been in the oilfield I can tell ya that! The show has to be scripted to some degree for sure. I know the guy that runs the camera boats for the show in nome and he said the production crew causes most of the drama. They will go make some crap up and tell one person that the other person said XXX about them so the next thing you know they are fighting just for the sake of drama on the show.

At the end of the day you get to see some cleanups with gold in them and you get to see some of the struggles. Beats the crap out of 99% of the touchy feely shows out there today.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is a lawyer going to do? Ya'll must have worked some pretty cushy jobs to think that Dustin is that big of a Dbag. You have never been in the oilfield I can tell ya that!

That's a pretty good one and most likely true....lol I remember my days on a rig and the driller constantly screaming... "make a bite", "set the slips", "put out on that", "stab that pipe", "grab those elevators", etc. etc....lol

Last edited:

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a pretty good one and most likely true....lol I remember my days on a rig and the driller constantly screaming... "make a bite", "set the slips", "put out on that", "stab that pipe", "grab those elevators", etc. etc....lol

and all the while calling you things that are no longer politically correct to call people but if you miss a bite I am sure you were called a certain part of a females anatomy at the very least.. For a bunch of people that swing a pick and use a shovel they seem pretty tender on here.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used

He is a hot head for sure but you know what, he owns up to his mistakes. Which is a lot more than I can say for most people these days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions