Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: GR white water: Father/son dynamic

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    1135 times

GR white water: Father/son dynamic

I love this show. I really do. It brings so much of hidden facets of humanity. Especially that of the father and son. Dustin said it best when he said, (adlibbing) Fred thinks he is in a competition with me, and I'm not even in it.

Why is there so much friction between them? Is it a passing of the torch kind of thing or a father's perspective that his son doesn't know any better?

I think Dustin is right. To dig around the bridge makes sense as I think that is where the gold would lay. The rocks can be easily removed if the would just invest in a conveyor system. Two teams underwater doing 4-6 hour each shifts(2 shifts) they would be up to their neck in gold.
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    685 times
    Prospecting
    I wish the Discovery Channel would quit the reality show game and give some interesting programs on gold mines that are actually functional! The only thing I found interesting in the entire thing was Beets playing with those bucket ladder dredges, I'd like to see an entire program about the restoration and operating of antique bucket ladder dredges without the fake BS drama,
    Audozer and russau like this.

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1811 times
    Prospecting
    Drama....
    Gold Rush and all others are not a dramatic show about gold mining.
    They are a Gold mining themed show about drama.
    Without the drama there would just be hours of boring video and no one would watch it
    russau and Hoser John like this.

us
    Oct 2018
    Central Valley California
    128 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Because Fred isn't his real biological father, Dustin was born when Fred already had a vasectomy. They even did an extra Gold Rush White Water episode here talking about their past, it probably didn't air on TV because it really makes them look like trainwrecks personally with their messed up family lives.

https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/g.../hidden-depths
    b3y0nd3r and IdahoGoldGettR like this.

Nov 2017
    182 times
    I too would much rather watch the show as a documentary instead of having to deal with the theatrics of the two main guys arguing over every damn thing. I would absolutely love an actual documentary-series on modern and historical gold mining
    N-Lionberger and Gold4Mike like this.

us
    Aug 2010
    Maine USA
    296 times
    GR White Water is a style of mining not possible until fairly recently. The water is so cold that a traditional wetsuit or drysuit will not keep you warm enough without hot water circulation. For safety, these guys should also have a backup man submerged for each man in the water. Steel cables (wire rope) should be replaced with Amsteel Blue or other synthetic which will not stretch before failure. Their removal of larger cobbles in the subsurface overburden is pretty slow and inefficient. They would be better off with heavy synthetic mesh bags lifted from the water when filled and moved to the riverbank with an overhead trolley cable.

us
    Oct 2018
    128 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Audozer View Post
    I too would much rather watch the show as a documentary instead of having to deal with the theatrics of the two main guys arguing over every damn thing. I would absolutely love an actual documentary-series on modern and historical gold mining
    There's several GPAA shows that you can watch for free online on their website like Gold Trails.

Gold Trails - Gold Trails Episode 11: "Mellow Mellow" :: Gold Prospectors Association of America

us
    Aug 2011
    1135 times
    So only a few want to talk about fred and dustin?
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1811 times
    Prospecting
    The production company wanted me to be in that show and I turned them down....what a trainwreck of a mining op they have there.
    Gold4Mike, russau and b3y0nd3r like this.

us
    Jan 2015
    San Francisco, Ca
    144 times
    Prospecting
    I thought Fred was a dick for taking the Hoffman’s claim after the first season, then I realized that the Hoffman’s were lost and i started likening Fred. When Dustin first came on I liked him, but now he just seems like a cocky mofo. However
    , I enjoy the show for what it is

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    1811 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mofugly13 View Post
    I thought Fred was a dick for taking the Hoffman’s claim after the first season, then I realized that the Hoffman’s were lost and i started likening Fred. When Dustin first came on I liked him, but now he just seems like a cocky mofo. However
    Fred is a good miner but too set in his ways to try anything outside his bubble and misses a lot of opportunity.
    Dustin is more open minded but doesn't know anything and cant learn
    Makes for good drama

us
    Aug 2011
    1135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mofugly13 View Post
    That was a wise business decision! Very smart!
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

us
    Oct 2018
    128 times
    Holy crap, did you see the gold nuggets they showed in the preview?? Not flakes, pickers but freakin' nuggets! Can't wait for next week, it's finally paying off!

us
    Dec 2013
    Central Oregon
    Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
    109 times
    Prospecting
    Thank's Firebird for the Gold Trails link. I am a member of GPAA and didn't know about this series. It's great! Of course the views are low, that's why you will never see this kind of stuff on mainstream TV.

Nov 2017
    182 times
    I honestly feel like Dustin is a huge douche bag. That being said, I think Fred is a very smart and safe individual that doesn’t receive the respect his years and years of experience demands. IF the show isn’t scripted like I believe it is, I think someone is going to (or needs to) hand Dustin his own ass for being a disrespectful prick. There’s no room for the drama that guy brings to the table in the setting those guys are trying to make a living in. Due to the potential income associated with the show and potential gold, the first time he came to me and wrongfully accused me of anything would be the same day I left the job site and would also be the day he got well acquainted with my lawyer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links