Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Gold Pan

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2010
    U.P. Michigan
    Garrett AT Pro
    121 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great information.... I went with the Supersluice 15".

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    1954 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    I like this one....I have 2 of them.

Potts and arizau like this.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

Which is also why we have the second
    amendment.

us
    Mike

Dec 2014
    Bodfish and Marin county CA
    Garrett , Whites keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
    894 times
    Drywashing , Sluicing , Panning
    Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post
    Great choice that pan rips through dirt - but it will wear you out as it's heavy,
    do what kevin suggested "As a beginner, only fill it 1/3 or so full of material."
    Or you will look like arnold schwarzenegger in no time.
    For me I have to use two hands to use it.
    I would suggest a smaller black pan for clean up -- use the Supersluice to get your cons then
    pan the cons in smaller black pan (a little at a time)
    good luck.
    Stay thirsty my friends

Charter Member
    us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    626 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodfish Mike View Post
    Great choice that pan rips through dirt - but it will wear you out as it's heavy,
    do what kevin suggested "As a beginner, only fill it 1/3 or so full of material."
    I would suggest a smaller black pan for clean up -- use the Supersluice to get your cons then
    good luck.
    thats a good tip, you can use the bigger pan as your safety pan. You use the big pan for rough concentrating and use a smaller pan for cleanup, utilize the larger pan as a "safety pan" to pan into so in case you lose somthing it is easy to get back in the case of in creek cleanup, in the case of a panning tub having a pan in the tub to pan into makes it a lot easier to keep your tub clean.
    arizau and Potts like this.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2744 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodfish Mike View Post
    good luck.
    That is exactly my impression. Though I bought one at Armadillo a couple years back I have only used it once, other than as a safety pan, as it is just as heavy, unwieldy and works no better than my 14" steel pan that I purchased close to 50 years ago now. That is exactly why I originally suggested, in my first post, to get a broad bottom 12" pan....especially for a beginning panner. That said if I had more opportunity to use mine I would use it for production panning/field concentration...us desert rats usually only pan small quantities of already concentrated material and so I really have no need for mine.

Good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; Feb 02, 2019 at 11:42 AM.
    Potts and Bodfish Mike like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    5686 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I'm not sure what brand mine are We bought them at a "rock shop" in Ohio. They are black and have heavy and fine ridges in the side. We bought a couple of each size. I think there were 3 or 4 sizes, we keep a couple of them in a back pack. If I can find the brand I'll post back. But what I really like is the black. Even in Ohio(where we started panning) you could see the smallest gold in the bottom very easily. We Paid about 8 bucks each and only broke one so far and that was because it was smashed in a truck seat.

The heavy and fine ridges really helped us when first learning. No classifying and we were still able to pull out real fine gold, you could barely see it. The ridges helped us to collect other minerals too, to look at.
    Last edited by Nitric; Feb 03, 2019 at 02:14 AM.
    Potts likes this.

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1793 times
    Prospecting
    With a few unremarkable improvements, gold pan tech has not changed for hundreds of years.
    I like the Pioneer pan. It is durable and cheap and features fine riffles for final clean up
    https://www.pioneermining.com/cart/p...ue_pan_16_inch
    Proficient panning is miner skill #1. Get a good basic pan and master it. After than give the other new designs a spin
    Nitric, ratled, johnedoe and 1 others like this.

us
    - Finding more junk than treasure -

Mar 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
    156 times
    Prospecting
    Generally speaking, I use a 15" Garrett Super Sluice for rough panning/sampling type work, a 14" Garrett Gravity Trap for most of my general panning, and a 10" Garrett Backpacker for the real fine-tuned small stuff in my concentrates.

us
    Oct 2010
    U.P. Michigan
    Garrett AT Pro
    121 times
    Metal Detecting
    I ordered a 10" pan just for that reason yesterday.
    AllenJ likes this.

Jan 2019
    7 times
    I have to agree with arizau. Any 12" pan is good and eventually you will move on to sluices and other things. but no matter what, the pan will be the most used in your arsenal. Remember, practice makes perfect. Also see u-tube videos from Two-Toes, Garrett detectors, Gold Hog, Vo-Gus and Adventure Gold. All of the are very informative and have their own techniques to panning. Good Luck and remember to have fun.
    Potts and 63bkpkr like this.

Mar 2013
    59 times
    First thing you do is buy the Garrett kit!! Both pans are worthless and that classifier thingy is really worthless, but you got to have them to prove you are a miner! While there go ahead and get a Garrett Super Sluice pan. That is all you will ever need and should last you 50 years! Now the corporations will never sell you a piece of equipment that will really catch gold. I think it is a rule You will have to make your own. That's easy to prove. All over the world they use a Batea to wash gold. You can't buy one in the United States, apparently they are not allowed to sell them. Why? Because they work!!!!! The best you can do is the super sluice pan. That is a fact. They will sell you a small batea in Canada for $110 LMAO! But you ain't getting no 30 incher, period!!!!

us
    Dec 2013
    N. California
    Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
    4629 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post
    White’s makes a burgundy colored pan which is the best I have found for seeing fine gold. The pan is dense and hard with absolutely no flex to it so it is difficult to use over a long stretch of time. The Supersliice is very versatile, easy to use all day and shows the fines well. Great choice.

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    4204 times
    The Batpan is one that I added to my group of pans several years ago, it can be found on Youtube. His video explains it quite well as does his demo. The only issue I have with it is that you can not just put it down on the ground, it requires the user to make a spot on the ground to keep the pan from tipping on its point and spilling the pans contents. Other than that it works.........................63bkpkr
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1759 times
    Prospecting
    I'd go up against a batea pan anyday with me super sluice. Some things just evolve into better equipment like the wheel got better once it wasnt an oval. Fine tuning is all it takes to end up as a super sluice and to not disappoint, it also dry pans!!!
    Why carry around unweildly and outdated 30 inch 40 pound gold pan? If a garrett super sluice didnt cost 10 trillion dollars they'd be using them in those third world countries.
    Pounded out hubcaps are cheaper.
    There isnt a better pan no matter what you hear and you wont be disappointed.

You could be caught in the middle of an LA riot and defend yourself with a super sluice. They are that bada22.

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1759 times
    Prospecting
    If ever in a group setting and your watching someone work their cons, offer for them to let you finish them up real quick with your super sluice and watch their faces turn colors. Happens every single time.
    You'll find that with a super sluice, watching someone pan their cons is almost painful Haha. They never trust their pans and need to use a pan underneath like a rook.

First day anyone? Hehe
    KevinInColorado likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links