Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what brand mine are We bought them at a "rock shop" in Ohio. They are black and have heavy and fine ridges in the side. We bought a couple of each size. I think there were 3 or 4 sizes, we keep a couple of them in a back pack. If I can find the brand I'll post back. But what I really like is the black. Even in Ohio(where we started panning) you could see the smallest gold in the bottom very easily. We Paid about 8 bucks each and only broke one so far and that was because it was smashed in a truck seat.

The heavy and fine ridges really helped us when first learning. No classifying and we were still able to pull out real fine gold, you could barely see it. The ridges helped us to collect other minerals too, to look at.

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With a few unremarkable improvements, gold pan tech has not changed for hundreds of years.
I like the Pioneer pan. It is durable and cheap and features fine riffles for final clean up
https://www.pioneermining.com/cart/prospecting_pans/blue_pan_16_inch
Proficient panning is miner skill #1. Get a good basic pan and master it. After than give the other new designs a spin

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Generally speaking, I use a 15" Garrett Super Sluice for rough panning/sampling type work, a 14" Garrett Gravity Trap for most of my general panning, and a 10" Garrett Backpacker for the real fine-tuned small stuff in my concentrates.

OP
OP
Potts

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ordered a 10" pan just for that reason yesterday.

Eagleone1025

Jan 21, 2019
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with arizau. Any 12" pan is good and eventually you will move on to sluices and other things. but no matter what, the pan will be the most used in your arsenal. Remember, practice makes perfect. Also see u-tube videos from Two-Toes, Garrett detectors, Gold Hog, Vo-Gus and Adventure Gold. All of the are very informative and have their own techniques to panning. Good Luck and remember to have fun.

Mitch Dickson

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing you do is buy the Garrett kit!! Both pans are worthless and that classifier thingy is really worthless, but you got to have them to prove you are a miner! While there go ahead and get a Garrett Super Sluice pan. That is all you will ever need and should last you 50 years! Now the corporations will never sell you a piece of equipment that will really catch gold. I think it is a rule ;) You will have to make your own. That's easy to prove. All over the world they use a Batea to wash gold. You can't buy one in the United States, apparently they are not allowed to sell them. Why? Because they work!!!!! The best you can do is the super sluice pan. That is a fact. They will sell you a small batea in Canada for $110 LMAO! But you ain't getting no 30 incher, period!!!!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great information.... I went with the Supersluice 15".[h=1][/h]

White’s makes a burgundy colored pan which is the best I have found for seeing fine gold. The pan is dense and hard with absolutely no flex to it so it is difficult to use over a long stretch of time. The Supersliice is very versatile, easy to use all day and shows the fines well. Great choice.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Batpan is one that I added to my group of pans several years ago, it can be found on Youtube. His video explains it quite well as does his demo. The only issue I have with it is that you can not just put it down on the ground, it requires the user to make a spot on the ground to keep the pan from tipping on its point and spilling the pans contents. Other than that it works.........................63bkpkr

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd go up against a batea pan anyday with me super sluice. Some things just evolve into better equipment like the wheel got better once it wasnt an oval. Fine tuning is all it takes to end up as a super sluice and to not disappoint, it also dry pans!!!
Why carry around unweildly and outdated 30 inch 40 pound gold pan? If a garrett super sluice didnt cost 10 trillion dollars they'd be using them in those third world countries.
Pounded out hubcaps are cheaper.
There isnt a better pan no matter what you hear and you wont be disappointed.

You could be caught in the middle of an LA riot and defend yourself with a super sluice. They are that bada22.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If ever in a group setting and your watching someone work their cons, offer for them to let you finish them up real quick with your super sluice and watch their faces turn colors. Happens every single time.
You'll find that with a super sluice, watching someone pan their cons is almost painful Haha. They never trust their pans and need to use a pan underneath like a rook.

First day anyone? Hehe

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No just kidding, keep your sluice boxes. You will be able to pan a bucket in record time tho while your buddy with the turbo pan is swirling and whirling....you'll be counting nuggets for a 1/3 the price.....and the guy with the 1200 AD betea is cussing and breathing hard while your one handing it with the flawless and almost saintly super sluice pan.

Guard these secret well or everyone will want one....

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just because cave babies teethed on mammoth tusk pacifiers doesnt mean they cant be made better in the days with rubber, plastic, and asbestos.
Plastic is one of the greatest inventions since the sun so take advantage. Whales are choking so make it count for something. PITA thanks you.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always understood the large batea and dulang pans found in the third world are made locally from wood or hammered out of oil drum lids. In the hands of a skilled operator they are supposed to be quite efficient. On the subject of using a safety pan there is nothing noob about it, there is good reasons for using a safety pan. I don't usually clean out my cons at the river but when I do it is to get a rough idea of how I am doing, like checking the upper end of my box, I'll pan it down to see whats going on then fling it and the safety pan into my bucket for working out at camp or at home where I also use a safety pan in my tub to help keep my tub clean as well as for saving my black sands which I like to process for values when I have a big enough pile. I wasn't able to figure out how to use my turbo pan before it was broken, I was playing under a dam that released and drove the water up rapidly I started frisbying my pans to shore the turbo pan split down the middle on landing, I tried melting it together with a soldering iron but it wasn't a strong repair and broke again. Pita are those hollow tortilla looking things that hippes eat, P.E.T.A. stands for People Eating Tasty Animals right?

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No but seriously the super sluice is an awesome pan. I read that the first astronauts on the moon literally panned enough oxygen to breathe with a super secret prototype super sluice, and I mean literally.
I was just thinking of all the flimsy pans I've seen with the little baby riffles....almost got dizzy for a sec.....why lord have you forsaken them?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
pita is short for "pain in the a.." in my book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread